Blood Pressure has gone through the roof!

giddyup

The last couple of days my blood pressure has shot up to dangerous levels, just checked this morning and it was 200/98. It's never ever been as high as that, normally it's around 140/80. I do take medication, Losartan and Metoprolol which normally keeps it under control, so not sure why it's so elevated at the moment. Problem is I'm worried about going to hospital because of Covid 19, but at the same time I can't risk leaving my BP at such a dangerous level. What can I do to try and bring it down? I guess my other question is what can the hospital do to bring it down immediately.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Im sure worrying is not going to do it better! 

Go to hospital!

Then make a long term plan to make your blood pressure go down for future and not only short term treatment. 

My worry is getting a Covid infection at the hospital, and what can they do to get my BP down quickly?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The last couple of days my blood pressure has shot up to dangerous levels, just checked this morning and it was 200/98. It's never ever been as high as that, normally it's around 140/80. I do take medication, Losartan and Metoprolol which normally keeps it under control, so not sure why it's so elevated at the moment. Problem is I'm worried about going to hospital because of Covid 19, but at the same time I can't risk leaving my BP at such a dangerous level. What can I do to try and bring it down? I guess my other question is what can the hospital do to bring it down immediately.

Go to a doctor

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

38 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My worry is getting a Covid infection at the hospital, and what can they do to get my BP down quickly?

Same posting all over again. You will not have a higher risk getting infected of covid by visiting the hospital, than the risk you are taking by staying home without a clue and might die.

Just go to the hospital. That´s the only thing you can do right now. After you have to learn to control your blood pressure on long term basis.

• Like 1

It seems you have experience with this.

But sometimes I find it surprising when nurses measure my blood pressure in the hospital and sometimes it's high. And then 10 minutes later the doctor measures it manually and it is perfectly ok.

So maybe the problem is just your equipment.

Any doctor anywhere should be able to accurately measure your blood pressure. You don't have to visit a hospital for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, beachproperty said:

Check the battery in your BP machine. Sometimes a low battery will give an inaccurate reading.

Are you using those 300 baht made in China machines from Lazada..try get a reliable one.

If you do not wish to go to a hospital then go to a clinic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

the obvious answer is go hospital......WHY ASK US ON HERE....we are NOT doctors, though there might be one or two....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Giddyup lie down quietly for 20/30 minutes, stay off here, as that is a sure way of raising your BP.

Take your BP again, if possible with another BP machine.

If after that your BP is still near 200 get yourself off to hospital, and yes they can give you something to bring it down, done it for me before.

Most importantly... Keep calm, worrying about covid will only make it worse.

Stay safe, stay calm, and good luck mate.

well said Doc Grumpy.......!!!!!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You don't have to visit a hospital, many local clinics can check your BP. 

I might add that you should consider taking your own machine along as well and check the reading against theirs. As said above, your machine might just be faulty.

He just check the machine on some else! Wife, gf or friend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you have experience with this.

But sometimes I find it surprising when nurses measure my blood pressure in the hospital and sometimes it's high. And then 10 minutes later the doctor measures it manually and it is perfectly ok.

So maybe the problem is just your equipment.

Any doctor anywhere should be able to accurately measure your blood pressure. You don't have to visit a hospital for that.

You should always rest before having your BP taken and if you suffer from 'white coat syndrome' when entering hospital or clinic, your blood pressure will almost certainly give a false reading.

I don't trust home BP monitors as at times they can give you inaccurate results.

In your particular case OP with a very high reading and as others have quite rightly stated, see a doctor without delay.

Best of luck.