Arrested Capitol rioters had guns and bombs, everyday careers and Olympic medals

webfact

10 hours ago, J Town said:

I saw a talking head make a frightening observation yesterday that subsequent elections will probably result in more Qanon extremists. HOW the HELL people can vote for these tinfoil hat wearing losers is a poignant statement on US society. ????

Good ... and now can we all think. What is driving them? What are they looking for/wanting? What is the underlying issue driving both those who wanted to believe Trump’s lies and those supporting Bernie? The vast majority of these supporters are found in the working middle class upon whom any hope of a participatory democracy depends. Address the underlying issue or the madness continues ... IMHO.

9 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Such nice people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/opinion/trump-evangelicals.html

“Over the last 72 hours, I have received multiple death threats and thousands upon thousands of emails from Christians saying the nastiest and most vulgar things I have ever heard toward my family and ministry. I have been labeled a coward, sellout, a traitor to the Holy Spirit, and cussed out at least 500 times.”

I suppose you might count yourself fortunate. In earlier times these same Christians burned people at the stake and conducted pogroms ... in the name of Christ, of course.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Tug said:

MAGA Many Are Getting Arrested for the life of me I cannot understand how people can fall for the bs coming out of trumps mouth we really do need to legislate consequences for (news organizations) that spread lies and hate to think thease MAGA idiots think trump is the answer it just beggers belief 

Clearly you have not spent time with people with certain kinds of mental illness or those who are easily led.

Dealing with the mentally ill first: people who have a proclivity to get hyped up over nothing, perhaps having some mental issues with reality that happen to fall into the Facebook charm of keep feeding you the stuff that you keep liking. Start off by liking the wrong stuff and before you know it that is all you will see.

The gulible are also in the same boat. If they are around people they admire or like or people they see on Facebook or social media who they see as their peer group - while that might not be you or me, there are plenty of people who are inclined like that. I have a brother who has a PhD in a rather technical subject. Very intelligent guy. But he believes that covid-19 was manufactured in a lab by the Chinese. His issue is that once he has made his mind up, he never changes it. He read something convincing somewhere and now he wont change.

Finally, America is beginning to realise that while you may not be able to fool all of the people all of the time, you can fool some of the people some of the time, if you are diligent and never let up. This is what we are looking at now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

Dealing with the mentally ill first: people who have a proclivity to get hyped up over nothing, perhaps having some mental issues with reality that happen to fall into the Facebook charm of keep feeding you the stuff that you keep liking. Start off by liking the wrong stuff and before you know it that is all you will see.

Why would anyone like something on FB they don't agree with?

7 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

I have a brother who has a PhD in a rather technical subject. Very intelligent guy. But he believes that covid-19 was manufactured in a lab by the Chinese. His issue is that once he has made his mind up, he never changes it. He read something convincing somewhere and now he wont change.

I hate Trump, but I agree with your brother.

Could you please tell us if he believes in Trump?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Clearly you have not spent time with people with certain kinds of mental illness or those who are easily led.

The gulible are also in the same boat. If they are around people they admire or like or people they see on Facebook or social media who they see as their peer group - while that might not be you or me, there are plenty of people who are inclined like that. I have a brother who has a PhD in a rather technical subject. Very intelligent guy. But he believes that covid-19 was manufactured in a lab by the Chinese. His issue is that once he has made his mind up, he never changes it. He read something convincing somewhere and now he wont change.

Finally, America is beginning to realise that while you may not be able to fool all of the people all of the time, you can fool some of the people some of the time, if you are diligent and never let up. This is what we are looking at now.

My brother is a medical pro in the US.  I called him to talk about this craziness going on there.  Asking what's wrong with these people!!  His reply?  You'd be amazed at how many have a mental illness there.  He said he treats a lot of people like this.  And as you say, they are more open to this BS.

Time to turn down the dial from social media.  As proven, many can't handle the lies and misinformation properly.  They just fall for it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:
10 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

I watched Jordan Klepper vs trump supporters it’s funny but so frightening how stupid so many of his maga supporters are.

Klepper's videos are scary.  Shows how stupid people truly are.  And violent.

In the spirit of returning "The Fairness Doctrine," Watter's World is equally as disturbing. Stupid knows no political boundaries. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have a monopoly on idiocy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J Town said:

In the spirit of returning "The Fairness Doctrine," Watter's World is equally as disturbing. Stupid knows no political boundaries. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have a monopoly on idiocy.

Well put!  But the dems aren't going to rallies with no masks and no social distancing during the worst pandemic in a century.  And from what I can tell, no where near as violent.  No comparison.

But yes, stupidity knows no political boundaries.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Well, one good think happened during all this insanity.  NRA is bankrupt!  Woohoo!!!  Horrible organization. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/15/business/nra-bankruptcy-new-york-texas/index.html

More like a tactical play and relocation to Texas, NRA has not apologised for it's behaviour.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/01/15/the-nra-files-for-bankruptcy/?sh=2ffe74527962

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, simple1 said:

More like a tactical play and relocation to Texas, NRA has not apologised for it's behaviour.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/01/15/the-nra-files-for-bankruptcy/?sh=2ffe74527962

At least they are now a nonprofit.  Time to reign these nuts in.  LaPierre is a horrible person.  Only in it for the money.

From your article:

James responded to the news by saying in a statement: “The NRA’s claimed financial status has finally met its moral status: bankrupt. While we review this filing, we will not allow the NRA to use this or any other tactic to evade accountability and my office’s oversight.”

What To Watch For

President-elect Joe Biden—long a proponent of gun control—has pledged to “defeat the NRA and end our epidemic of gun violence” as president

• Like 1

8 hours ago, candide said:

Comments from officers protecting the Capitole show what a bunch of suckers the protesters were!

"Some of them felt like we would be fast friends because so many of them have been vocal," Hodges said. "They say things like, 'Yeah, we've been supporting you through all this Black Lives Matter stuff, you should have our back' and they felt entitled."

He added, "They felt like they would just walk up there and tell us that they're here to take back Congress and we would agree with them and we'd walk in hand in hand and just take over the nation. But obviously that's not the case and it will never be the case."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/14/politics/police-officers-capitol-riot-hodges-fanone/index.html

It will be interesting to know exactly what Trump and allies wanted to happen  and why things didn't happen like planned 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Opl said:

It will be interesting to know exactly what Trump and allies wanted to happen  and why things didn't happen like planned 

I believe he just wanted chaos with his name at the top, and that's exactly what happened.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J Town said:

I believe he just wanted chaos with his name at the top, and that's exactly what happened.

That's what some of the news hosts are saying.  Not sure whether he intended it to become violent, but just enough to cause chaos.  Perhaps to scare Pence into talking illegal action?