Adding an earth to a 15th floor 20 year old condo.

najomtiensun

Older condos are always going to be fun.

Are you sure there's no earth in your distribution board? Could you post a photo with the lid off so we can be sure (care please).

A metal pipe is likely to be a good earth but don't use the fire pipe and it would be best to make any connection inside your unit or you may attract the wrath of the condo management.

If there's any building steel that's accessible that would also be a good bet.

You may find the condo have a "recommended" (use is required) sparks so the office is a good place to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only problem you could have if you use a metal water pipe, is what happened decades ago in the UK when metal water pipes were used as earths.......very often some of the pipes, or part of the pipe network were replaced with plastic pipes and fittings, so you didn't have an earth in effect.

The other thing was that if many people had used the same metal pipe as an earth, then if there was minor leakage to earth over time, using that pipe, then it would corrode the pipe and you would get a water leak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

The only problem you could have if you use a metal water pipe, is what happened decades ago in the UK when metal water pipes were used as earths.......very often some of the pipes, or part of the pipe network were replaced with plastic pipes and fittings, so you didn't have an earth in effect.

The other thing was that if many people had used the same metal pipe as an earth, then if there was minor leakage to earth over time, using that pipe, then it would corrode the pipe and you would get a water leak.

So being on the 15th floor sounds fairly problematic. We were getting used to having cold showers and we could take the unit back if it all proves undoable. 

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, that's a shame, I've seen units that take an earth to the board then no further.

Task A is to talk to the condo management to see if they have a sparks available, then get him to look at the issue. 

The risk of corrosion to the pipe is small with AC, a DC current is a whole different ball game (there can be significant problems with DC traction railways), but as noted earlier if they replace the pipe with plastic ...

I would also think about adding earth-leakage protection to that board.

Many thanks for all your help. I will do as you suggest and update the thread when I have a response. 

4 minutes ago, najomtiensun said:

So being on the 15th floor sounds fairly problematic. We were getting used to having cold showers and we could take the unit back if it all proves undoable. 

Just a suggestion, and possibly something to think about....... if the service duct outside of your condo goes all the way to the ground, which it did in many older condominium structures, then you could feed a good-sized earth wire through it to the actual ground, probably where the water pipes enter the building and do something from that perspective.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Here I was  thinking  maybe  rappelling down the outside  wall with a large roll of  earth wire clipping it on on the way down !

Just  joking. Maybe  ! lol

throw the 'Sparks' over.................  he's authorised to go ???? 

17 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Here I was  thinking  maybe  rappelling down the outside  wall with a large roll of  earth wire clipping it on on the way down !

Just  joking. Maybe  ! lol

Not so far from the truth.........again when I was an electrical technician in my younger days, a couple of us had to run a copper earthing strip (as a lightning conductor) down the outside of a very high chimney, in a brickworks factory, so you can imagine how high the chimney was.

Luckily the "Hilti" guns had just hit the market, so it was a pretty easy job to fix it, but only if you liked heights!!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

I'm not on the top floor but I have noticed the corridor has square suspended lightweight ceiling tiles that can be pushed up so running a cable to the lifts would be quite easy if that has a reliable earth. I have left a message on our condo bulletin board so no doubt some one will turn up shortly with the local potential solution. 

Edited by najomtiensun
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

What are the hangers attached to?  If steel, there you go.

To my untutored eye this looks good.I trust any sparkie worth their salt can measure the potential of metal in here as to it's suitability as an earth and then run it to the circuit box ?

20210116_103814.jpg

20210116_103831.jpg

• Like 1