Analysis - Trump's legacy: A more divided America, a more unsettled world

webfact

1 minute ago, J Town said:

The older I get, the more involved I get in politics, the more disgusted I am with the GOP. The fact that they're almost all old white guys is the first clue. Then listening to them lie, lie, lie, then lie some more is revolting. The good thing is they're OLD white guys, a dying breed. This new cabinet is beyond refreshing. For President Biden to nominate a transgender doctor (Rachel Levine) as Assistant Health Secretary wouldn't even have been a thought 20 years ago.

The Democratic party represents the face of America. The Republican party represents the old guard that is finally dying out.

I was a republican for most of my life.  Kinda still am, though registered as an independent.  Now the biggest party.

The problem with the GOP is they are letting the base drive their decisions just to get elected.  Like with election fraud.  How about instead of saying "my constituents don't believe it was fair" to them publicly stating that it WAS fair.  Kinda the tail wagging the dog here....sucks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

And the hits just keep rolling.  What's wrong with these people?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/23/us/politics/arizona-censure-flake-mccain-ducey.html

Arizona G.O.P. Censures Three Top Members Criticized by Trump Loyalists

The party rebuked Gov. Doug Ducey, former Senator Jeff Flake and Cindy McCain, all of whom have been criticized by some Trump supporters as insufficiently loyal to the former president.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Why resist?  That shows why we're having problems.   We're all in this together.  Give the guy a chance.  It's desperate times in the US, this doesn't help.

Perhaps you have forgotten when some posters always ended with "resist 45".

Seems some don't like it when it's returned to them, though they relished the "resistance" to Trump.

What goes around comes around.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Opinions are divided and will remain that way for a long time.  But this is true and will always be true:

It is not the critic who is remembered.  It is not the one who points out how the doer stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.  History belongs to the person who actually gets into the arena; the one who strives valiantly; the one who wins and succeeds; the one who fails and comes short - because there can be no success without error and shortcoming.

The credit always goes to the doer who actually strives to do the deeds; the one who knows great enthusiasms, knows great devotion; who spends themselves fully in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if they fail, then fails while daring greatly. History always belongs to the person who gets into the arena. Their place in history shall never be with those cold and timid souls who only criticise; the credit never goes to those who can never truly know victory or defeat.

Many will say that person was wrong, and many will say that person was right. But in the end that person will be remembered, and it is history that will decide whether they were right or wrong - not the critics.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Why resist?  That shows why we're having problems.  People like you.  We're all in this together.  Give the guy a chance.  It's desperate times in the US, this doesn't help.

I cannot recall this approach after Trump won. Maybe I am getting old.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, J Town said:

Against my better judgement, I honestly tried to get behind 45 out of respect for the office. Within the first month I saw based on his actions what a horrible man he was and it only got worse from there.

That "resist 46" is easily the most ridiculous thing I've recently seen. It reeks of childish impudence. "If I can't get my way, then I'll just go out to the back yard and eat worms."

If Biden screws something up, then hold him accountable, an adjective sadly missing in today's politics.

I don't recall a single post from you commenting about "resist 45". :violin:

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Yes, Trump and his mob will always be remembered as the ones who tried to end democracy and rule of law in America.

Only by Trump hating critics will that view be held. 

History will view it very differently me thinks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1