Scooter Lessons - Thailand or Europe?

Somchair

19 minutes ago, transam said:

I have been in LOS many years and seen a lot of bike incidents where folk have not walked away. The road savvy here is NOT like farangland, it is a constant gamble.

I had bikes and scooters when a kid, I have a m/c licence, we have a scooter, but I only use it if the car isn't available, but even then I will think about it.

If me, I would buy a small car with auto trans (CVT), safer, easy to drive, easy to park. Modern small cars also have, power steering, power brakes, and aircon...... Cheap to run too........:thumbsup:

Definitely the best option if the Op has the moment for a small car. 

Far safer than a scooter, far more comfortable (with AC), you don’t end up at your destination in a sweat, easier for the shopping and the missus, easier and better for trips out of town.

Only a couple of negatives with a car - Slower in traffic, no problem if you’re not in a rush. The feeling of freedom when riding any motorbike is a great feeling you don’t get that in car. 

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Too many privileged idiots I see riding bicycles.

I am green, I am healthy, I am Great !

While they zig zag all over the road, don't stop at stop signs, don't signal, don't stop for red lights.

Just because they are on a bicycle they think everybody else should make way for them. Idiots.

Couple I have run into - or I should say ran into me - many figuratively and one literally - soon change their minds.

Laying on the road with a bent bike and road rash wondering <deleted> just happened

I'll tell you what just happened - act like you own the road and this IS what happens

I've definitely seen more motorbike idiots than bicycle idiots, in fact they are a rarity, maybe one a couple of years ago, but that was probably an age thing

• Like 1

If you've got little to no experience with a scooter, DO NOT try to ride here.  Thailand is close to the #1 country in the world for road fatalities and accidents.  I'm an experienced rider, but self insured.  So I never ride the scooter on busy streets.  I'd hate to think of how many friends I have who are either not with us any more, or permanently banged up from a scooter accident. 

If you do try a scooter.  Please, get really GOOD insurance.  A trip to the hospital can run into the millions of baht easily.  And if you don't have the cash, they won't treat you. 

Sadly, driving a car isn't much different.  It's like a raceway with no rules on the roads at times.

• Like 1

I havnt read all the previous posts.

In my opinion, unless you are going to be living and using the motorcycle in a small rural area, I would leave it well alone ! Its not necessarily your ability, its the sheer lunacy and inability of many you will find around you on the road.

My advice would be to get a small auto car if living in a densely populated area with regular and constant traffic. You are safer and more protected from the unskilled and downright dangerous folk that will surround you.

Assume everyone is trying to kill you and you'll las5 longer.

GET A CAR  ! One serious spill on that bike and your retirement plans are over.

Think on that aspect alone.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 6:03 AM, Lacessit said:

I got my scooter license in Thailand first. The test consisted of being able to tell the difference between red, green and yellow traffic lights.

I subsequently got a motorbike/scooter license in Australia. There was a written test of 50 questions on various road rules, then a practical test where I had to demonstrate skills such as slow riding, balance through tight curves, braking from set speed within a certain distance etc.etc. Only 70% of the 30-odd would-be qualifiers passed.

OP, please be aware in Thailand you have to assume every other vehicle on the road is trying to kill you. Not through malice aforethought, but simply because the training here is so incompetent.

I'd suggest in your home country, also take a course in defensive driving. It's kept me accident-free ( touch wood ) here.

You can use Motorbike license in OZ from Thailand, right 

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

If you've got little to no experience with a scooter, DO NOT try to ride here.  Thailand is close to the #1 country in the world for road fatalities and accidents.  I'm an experienced rider, but self insured.  So I never ride the scooter on busy streets.  I'd hate to think of how many friends I have who are either not with us any more, or permanently banged up from a scooter accident. 

If you do try a scooter.  Please, get really GOOD insurance.  A trip to the hospital can run into the millions of baht easily.  And if you don't have the cash, they won't treat you. 

Sadly, driving a car isn't much different.  It's like a raceway with no rules on the roads at times.

I just had emergency Appendectomy, with Sepsis Shock it burst , 1.2 million baht I paid , get insurance, mine had lapsed expensive lesson , utter hell I went thru and hospital demanding money everyday but they did save my life 

On 1/29/2021 at 4:21 AM, Somchair said:

I want to get some tuition/lessons (in English) on how to ride a scooter (safely)

There is no such thing as being safe on a two-wheeler.  You are  ALWAYS in a state of constant peril, especially in Thailand.

51 minutes ago, oobar said:

There is no such thing as being safe on a two-wheeler.  You are  ALWAYS in a state of constant peril, especially in Thailand.

you ride much? 

These threads should really be for riders only, those too scared to ride their opinion doesn't matter

So I have a driver's licence, but have not driven a car for many, many years, to the point where I would need lessons to begin driving again.

Although I am primary a motorcyclist nowadays, I did give this statement above some thought. I don't think that anyone would 'forget' how to drive. Just like riding a bike or swimming, once learned, never forgotten.

But anyway back to motorcycles. I've been riding since I was 17. Back in the day I took no lessons whatsoever. They didn't exist back then. You got yourself a provisional license, stuck some 'L' plates on your bike and off you went, grinding your way through the gears until you got the hang of it. It didn't take long.

Modern 'twist and go'  scooters with electric start are a breeze to learn, so if you have already driven and you know the rules of the road, why do you need lessons? 

When I bought my first bike here I hadn't ridden for around 15 years, but within a few weeks I was whizzing my way through Udon Thani's crazy traffic as if I had never taken a break and I've enjoyed riding here ever since.

Hi all,

So I have a driver's licence, but have not driven a car for many, many years, to the point where I would need lessons to begin driving again.

Now when it comes to scooters, I have never driven one at all, however when I move to Thailand in the near future I would like to drive one there.

I want to get some tuition/lessons (in English) on how to ride a scooter (safely), so I was wondering whether you think it's worthwhile doing it in my home country or whether this is an option in Thailand? There it would be a lot cheaper and I would be getting tuition driving on the left-hand side of the road, whereas here I would be getting lessons driving on the right-hand side of the road.

I should add that initially I will likely be on a tourist visa, just in case that impacts my options.

Thoughts welcomed!

Hi Somchair,

IMO if you're going to drive in Thailand, might as well learn here. There's a decent school in Chang Phuak in Chiang Mai, I took 5-day motorbike course and passed a driving license test no problem. Never had a driving license before, but I had a 49cc scooter when I was 15 y.o., so maybe that helped ???? 

There's Honda school too for advanced riding (off-road, dirt bikes etc.). Can't advice for other locations.

To reduce the chance of accident by 90%:

• Don't drive in Bangkok
  • Don't drive after dark
  • Don't drive on main highways where cars are speeding and not paying attention
  • Always give way to idiots on the road
  • Try to avoid areas with many shirtless drunk farangs on motorbikes

I'm driving a scooter for 4+ years and never had a road accident (fingers crossed). Just always keep your eyes on the road and don't be too cocky.

I don't think riding a bicycle in Thailand is safer. At least when I'm riding my scooter, car drivers notice me and give way. Bike lanes and quiet Soi's are OK for cycling, but not the roads.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, Kurtf said:

If you are hell bent on driving a scooter in Thailand, be absolutely sure your life insurance is paid up because there is a high likely hood that you will be dead sooner rather than later.

you miss out if you don't ride one that's for sure

Yep I think this is more of what I am feeling... Don't want to miss out, so I want the full experience, just minus the traffic accident/death,

38 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
On 1/28/2021 at 10:21 PM, Somchair said:

I want to get some tuition/lessons (in English) on how to ride a scooter

Where will you be residing? In most large cities Honda has a riding tuition centre.

Most likely Bangkok initially.

I am a low-risk kinda guy in general, so after reading this thread I am thinking twice about the idea ????

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

What a load of manure.

Been riding bikes here for 16 years. And I am still here.

Depends on your tolerance for risk.

It is tools in cars, pickups, busses, trucks, etc that are out to kill you - following survival of the largest.

Be careful in the shower, or walking down steps, or ...

I agree. Paying attention is what will save you from a truck speeding in the wrong direction. Not expensive helmet, shoes, insurance, etc. Best strategy is to not crash at all.

2 minutes ago, Somchair said:

I am a low-risk kinda guy in general, so after reading this thread I am thinking twice about the idea ????

You are either a motorcyclist or you are not. I don't think there is any middle ground.

• Like 1

You are completely wrong, there are no schools that teach you how to go through traffic in Thailand, no one knows the highway code and it's all a matter of experience to guess what those around you will do now so only if you have a good sense of survival welcome to Thailand

16 minutes ago, redpill17 said:

Hi Somchair,

IMO if you're going to drive in Thailand, might as well learn here. There's a decent school in Chang Phuak in Chiang Mai, I took 5-day motorbike course and passed a driving license test no problem. Never had a driving license before, but I had a 49cc scooter when I was 15 y.o., so maybe that helped ???? 

There's Honda school too for advanced riding (off-road, dirt bikes etc.). Can't advice for other locations.

To reduce the chance of accident by 90%:

• Don't drive in Bangkok
  • Don't drive after dark
  • Don't drive on main highways where cars are speeding and not paying attention
  • Always give way to idiots on the road
  • Try to avoid areas with many shirtless drunk farangs on motorbikes

I'm driving a scooter for 4+ years and never had a road accident (fingers crossed). Just always keep your eyes on the road and don't be too cocky.

I don't think riding a bicycle in Thailand is safer. At least when I'm riding my scooter, car drivers notice me and give way. Bike lanes and quiet Soi's are OK for cycling, but not the roads.

If I may add, look with two eyes in front and two eyes above all behind

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Somchair said:

Yep I think this is more of what I am feeling... Don't want to miss out, so I want the full experience, just minus the traffic accident/death,

I didn't ride a bike in Pattaya for the first few years, then once I bought a bike it opened up many more opportunities which a car wouldn't have done. 

As for safety, ride carefully and minimize the risk as much as possible

13 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

You are completely wrong, there are no schools that teach you how to go through traffic in Thailand, no one knows the highway code and it's all a matter of experience to guess what those around you will do now so only if you have a good sense of survival welcome to Thailand

I don't disagree, but knowing the basics puts you in a better position that most foreigners here who jump on a scooter for the first time in their life. Plus, the school helps prepare for driving exam (if you want to be a legit rider).

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 11:21 PM, Somchair said:

Hi all,

Now when it comes to scooters, I have never driven one at all, however when I move to Thailand in the near future I would like to drive one there.

I want to get some tuition/lessons (in English) on how to ride a scooter (safely), so I was wondering whether you think it's worthwhile doing it in my home country or whether this is an option in Thailand? There it would be a lot cheaper and I would be getting tuition driving on the left-hand side of the road, whereas here I would be getting lessons driving on the right-hand side of the road.

I should add that initially I will likely be on a tourist visa, just in case that impacts my options.

Thoughts welcomed!

I wanted to learn in a driving school how to drive a scooter. I approached  few driving schools asking for driving lessons on a scooter, and they looked at me like I just landed from Mars. They say there is no such thing "learning on scooter, only car". So I asked how can I learn and they told me to take a scooter from a friend and learn by myself.

So I waited until returned to my country and took few lessons and then a short test within the practicing yard.

A follow-on question...

I understand that after being in Thailand for 3 months you need to convert to a Thai driving licence.

Let's say that I am not driving during the first 3 months and then want to drive afterwards, so I convert my licence. Do I need both my original driving licence and an International Driving Permit? Or is it enough to just have my original driving licence?

54 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
51 minutes ago, Somchair said:

Low risk kinda guys are the ones that stay alive when riding motorcycles!

I'm a 'low risk' type and I'm alive and well after riding here for 7 years. Most folks who post doom and gloom about riding here have never sat on a motorcycle.

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Low risk kinda guys are the ones that stay alive when riding motorcycles!

I'm a 'low risk' type and I'm alive and well after riding here for 7 years. Most folks who post doom and gloom about riding here have never sat on a motorcycle.

7 years doesn't sound much but it does have a ring to it. Something about mirrors. 

Some people ride for 7 years others ride for 1 year 7 times?

If the OP is still determined then he should visit the Honda Safety Riding Center  in Bangkok. Yamaha also have one. Called Yamaha Rider Academy. Honda won't reopen until June.

• Like 1

When you arrive in Thailand ride on the back of motorcycle taxis for at least 1/2 year and pay attention.

Most motorcycle taxi riders know what they are doing. Watch and learn.

Some of the things which you will learn that way which you would never learn back home:

- When the light is green that doesn't mean it's time to accelerate. Better wait a second or two to make sure that the cars and bikes who ignore the red light are not in front of you anymore.

- Expect the unexpected all the time. Bikes will ride in the wrong direction, diagonal, when the light is red, and and and. Watch and remember!

- There are no zebra crossings. There is only paint on the street. If you decide you want to stop at the zebra crossing (with or without red light) then make sure you look first into your mirrors so that you don't brake when that big truck behind you has no intention to brake.

- About mirrors: Many riders don't have any or best case use them to to check their makeup. Don't expect that anybody actually uses the mirrors.

There are many more "rules" like this. You will never learn them at home. In Thailand you will learn them over times - except you didn't learn them early enough and you ignored them. RIP

Be careful!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1