New Watch

lelapin

How long does the battery in a 'normal' watch last?.........One, two years.

Why pay for a solar powered one, which can only charge up for 12 hours a day max anyway.

What's confusing you Moonlover? The length of time a standard battery will last for about Bht 100, or that a solar watch, which will be considerably more expensive than a conventional one,  can charge for more than 12 hours a day?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Why pay for a solar powered one, which can only charge up for 12 hours a day max anyway.

Solar powered are really rechargable batteries and will need replacing, at least they used to be. My citizen eco drive lasted about 9 years, new capacitor battery about 1k baht. Cheaper to buy normal but the mrs is getting me a Casio solar one for birthday, see how long that lasts, might outlive me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

A kinetic watch is another option.  Charges with you body movement.  

And it dies with you!   LOL

The old self-winding types were really kinetic watches. Wound up by a 'flywheel' inside.

Edited by KannikaP

40 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I bought a Citizen eco-drive (powered by light) watch in 2005.  It has never ever stopped since the day I bought it. They only require a few minutes charge in daylight to run for a full day and if they have been exposed to the light for a full day they will run in total darkness for up to 6 months.

The big advantage of solar powered watches is that they never have to be opened for battery replacement, which means there is no risk dirt getting inside.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I bought a Citizen eco-drive (powered by light) watch in 2005.  It has never ever stopped since the day I bought it. They only require a few minutes charge in daylight to run for a full day and if they have been exposed to the light for a full day they will run in total darkness for up to 6 months.

The big advantage of solar powered watches is that they never have to be opened for battery replacement, which means there is no risk dirt getting inside.

And of the several Rados and others I have had over the years, not one has ever gone wrong.....especially from getting dirt inside.

24 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And of the several Rados and others I have had over the years, not one has ever gone wrong.....especially from getting dirt inside.

And of the one Casio sports watch that I had, I did. And it took 3 visits to a watch repairer before the offending grain of sand was finally removed! (I presumed it was a grain of sand because the battery was replaced in Egypt) ????

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And of the one Casio sports watch that I had, I did. And it took 3 visits to a watch repairer before the offending grain of sand was finally removed! (I presumed it was a grain of sand because the battery was replaced in Egypt) ????

Casio.....Rado. 

14 hours ago, lelapin said:

I am looking to buy a new solar powered watch. Any genuine recommendations as to where I should go in Pattaya

Maybe ask DPM Prawit for his recommendations.  I bet he can steer you to a friend of his to let you borrow one for awhile until you decide on how to spend the millions needed for the hi-end luxury solar powered watch. Or you could buy this one like I did.  Price was around $2500 USD and it has gps

Image result for G-Shock Mr. G

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe ask DPM Prawit for his recommendations.  I bet he can steer you to a friend of his to let you borrow one for awhile until you decide on how to spend the millions needed for the hi-end luxury solar powered watch. Or you could buy this one like I did.  Price was around $2500 USD and it has gps

Image result for G-Shock Mr. G

Expensive G shock.

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Why waste money buying expensive watches?

I use the most reliable one available..... The sun.????

When the sun rises i wake, get up, sun sets off to bed, what more does anybody need.

Don,t eclipses catch you out?

• Haha 2

I have a watch, but it does many other things, cant remember the last time I looked at it to tell the time though.

I think if it only gave the time I probably wouldnt even bother wearing one. I very rarely need to be anywhere or do anything at a very specific time.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 10:31 AM, lelapin said:

I am looking to buy a new solar powered watch. Any genuine recommendations as to where I should go in Pattaya

Typical TV responses. I ask where to go to buy a watch and I get a lot of responses relating to what sort of watch I should buy.

Maybe asking the way you did represented a request as to types you might be interested in looking at.  Many quality watches and ideas given in the OP.  Going to one place to buy a watch is not always the best idea.  Plenty of ways to search on the internet to get better ideas, and then locate the best location.  I apologize if all you wanted was a store.  If that's all then just pop into Robinsons, they have many watch counters.

Robinson Department Store Public Company Limited Chonburi Branch. Address : 55/90 MOO 1 TAMBOL SAMED, MUANGCHONBURI  ...
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 8:31 PM, lelapin said:

Typical TV responses. I ask where to go to buy a watch and I get a lot of responses relating to what sort of watch I should buy.

I like the watch shop on Second Road nearly opposite The Avenue mall. Whether it's still open.....? I have had this Citizen Eco Drive for nearly 13 years, still going strong, and never been opened.

P1050492.JPG

Edited by giddyup

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I like the watch shop on Second Road nearly opposite The Avenue mall. Whether it's still open.....? I have had this Citizen Eco Drive for nearly 13 years, still going strong, and never been opened.

P1050492.JPG

Is your left arm now longer than your right due to the watches weight.    LOL

On 1/30/2021 at 8:33 AM, colinneil said:

When the sun rises i wake

Currently I wake up earlier and wait for the birds to start singing. Dawn started, time to walk the dogs :biggrin:

In my wild years I was looking at expensive watches (IWC, Omega and stuff).

Actually had a Longines and a Maurice Lacroix chronograph (quickly broken).

Now my only criteria: can read time without reading glasses on :smile:

A Casio does it. Only worn when on the road.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Currently I wake up earlier and wait for the birds to start singing. Dawn started, time to walk the dogs :biggrin:

I actually wake before dawn, would dearly love to take my dogs for a walk, but sadly not to be.