829 new cases, most from intensive testing in Samut Sakhon

rooster59

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

Yet they are open and living life again. Concerts, bars, crowded events... very few issues.

Except for the cities where they have hauled the entire population out of their homes and into quarantine centers.  Maybe not the entire population, but tens of thousands.  Shijiazhuang in Hebei comes to mind.

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

There is a mountain of evidence (from Chinese in China and others) that China has been dramatically underreporting from the beginning. 

Best estimates are that many millions have died already and 10s of millions have been infected. 

Nothing China says can be believed. 

Best estimates from whom?

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Perth and the SW of Western Australia is now in lockdown after one person tested positive.

Yes the area where I live but I haven't been out for days and not to the mentioned places

so it looks like I will wear a mask for the first time since Covid started. We had a good run

of 10 months of no local infection.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Except for the cities where they have hauled the entire population out of their homes and into quarantine centers.  Maybe not the entire population, but tens of thousands.  Shijiazhuang in Hebei comes to mind.

That’s how they control it. When anyone tests positive in China they test the entire city of millions over the course of a few days. This aggressive approach is why they are back to normal in 99% of the country.

China may be a lot of things, but relaxed about the virus they are not.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Saw that just a few ago.  Taking it very seriously, so I am unsure why Thailand is doing the opposite of what they did before.  I hope to hell that it has not spread massively, but then we may never know as they are more concerned with their status and FACE.  Testing now outside of Samut Sakhon in Bangkok might give them a better idea of the spread, as I do not believe that people are going and getting tested that may have low level symptoms.

Is the testing free for Thais?

Many would not be able to pay.

anyway, with the face issue, im sure most would be embarrassed to say they got it.

And id say many would rather stay home and ride it out, instead of the threat of being forced into hospital for having little or no symptoms and getting a bill.

Cant always blame the government for everything.

Why dose this Government always want to dress up the figures, by breaking it down into Thais, immigrant workers, people who are in Quarantine,  the total figures are the important fact,  if you want to break it down, better to report how many tests have been done,  and the positive number infected would make more sence,  me thinks the number of infections are now getting out of control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AmySeeker said:

Is the covid virus in Thailand sticking to one area ? 

It's all over!Well maybe,I don't think anyone knows, which is the way they like it here as the recent global corruption index report of Thailand being 104 of 180 countries with corruption and lack of transparency issues.4th for being able to deal with covid and 104th for transparency.Go figure! 

• Like 2

Just heard on the news of a 2 month old baby here in Bangkok testing positive for Covid.  731 more cases the channel 7 news is saying, with more in Bangkok.  Wonder if this is part of the 829 or now in addition. Seems it is a further breakdown of the 829 cases. 

Edited by ThailandRyan

9 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Why dose this Government always want to dress up the figures, by breaking it down into Thais, immigrant workers, people who are in Quarantine,  the total figures are the important fact,  if you want to break it down, better to report how many tests have been done,  and the positive number infected would make more sence,  me thinks the number of infections are now getting out of control. 

Because each group contributes to the spread in different ways, so it leads to better decisions. Migrant workers are tightly grouped but partially isolated from the general Thai population. So it can spread quickly among them but less quickly to the general population. Thai will spread it much farther but at a slower rate. That's what is seen now.

Thailand does keep track of testing numbers and the all important ratio of tests/positive case. It's been posted here from time to time.

The virus is clearly still spreading among Burmese workers. If the rate of spread among Thai, and to other regions increases, that is indeed worrisome. That's why they break the numbers down the way they do,

Edited by rabas

12 hours ago, AmySeeker said:

Is the covid virus in Thailand sticking to one area ? 

It is no secret that the virus can survive weeks on paper money( in one day from BK to Chiang Mai  by delivery drivers using cash in 7 11 stores ) , thus in the UK many shops are refusing to take cash , has to be a credit/ debit card that is placed in a card reader . Now on top of that  other places  where the virus can get you is an ATM machine , lift buttons , door handles , escalator handrails , supermarket trolleys and baskets and any frequently used hard surface e.g. supermarket cashier desk . Often in supermarkets people pick produce from the shelves and put it back , another source of virus transmission .  Transmission is high at 20c but takes a big dive at around 30c and beyond so in cool aircon super markets be careful .

BTW is Samut Sakhon and BK not one place ?