As the coronavirus pandemic bites, Thailand is desperate for its US$43 billion Eastern Economic Corridor to pay off

webfact

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

Electric cars, robots and fruit will spill out from its transport points, according to the EEC’s glossy marketing literature, while high-end visitors seeking medical and wellness tourism will pour in as scruffy cities are transformed into green oases.

OMG REALY , oh well TIT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One more thought: "The airport and port flank Pattaya – the colourful resort city in Chonburi province – which is also hankering after a refit following the pandemic’s decimation of its tourist-based economy."

I sometimes wonder too if covid might be seen as a reset for the bar industry, not that you could morally argue against that. However a lot of accommodation in Pattaya would then need a new type of tourist, I wonder where they could find enough non-mongering foreigners or foreign workers to fill that place?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rancid said:

One more thought: "The airport and port flank Pattaya – the colourful resort city in Chonburi province – which is also hankering after a refit following the pandemic’s decimation of its tourist-based economy."

I sometimes wonder too if covid might be seen as a reset for the bar industry, not that you could morally argue against that. However a lot of accommodation in Pattaya would then need a new type of tourist, I wonder where they could find enough non-mongering foreigners or foreign workers to fill that place?

The structures you refer to were not built to last. They can very easily be demolished and new condo towers or  retail be put in place.  Look at the magnificent new Central  shopping center in Patong. Tacky retail stores, some low cost lodging and the usual dirty restaurants, all were torn down and replaced by a shiny new  plaza.

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

The key word here is ''promises''

and promises, particularly when they are coming from a junta goverment

are binding only on who believe them.

Green smart cities? Come on, just look at this pollution fog around us

and it's worse year after year.

Why on earth big companies from China, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore would

want to come and invest in Thailand with a high baht, high wages, high corruption and so on

it doesn't make any sense at all

But still they do.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Electric cars, robots and fruit will spill out from its transport points

Need to make them a bit more secure then .. try ratchet straps .. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

while high-end visitors seeking medical and wellness tourism will pour in as scruffy cities

Some might get pulled by this .. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A tech hub braided with airports, ports and high-speed rail lines to lure the brains and billions of Asia to Thailand – or a cripplingly expensive white elephant from a government struggling to reset Southeast Asia’s second-largest economy? Nearly four years after its inception, opinion is divided on the country’s US$43 billion Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC

I wonder if these statues at the entrance would be  appropriate??

white-elephant-statue-garden-100645271.jpg

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is desperate for its US$43 billion Eastern Economic Corridor to pay off

Ain't gonna happen soon With the way they  attract the Tourist with All the hoops they have to jump through. 

Just Insane.

scruffy cities are transformed into green oases !!!

ooops sorry I just fell off my chair !!   anyone been down soi 6 in Na Jomtien lately ??  Its the one to the POLICE STATION !!

It resembles a rubbish dump on both side of the road with seemingly a blind eye given to "fly tipping "   Not just a sad state of affairs but pretty disgusting and one has to ask " when is Pattaya " going to get a grip " on fly tipping and people just dumping their rubbish on the side of the road with impunity .  Police vehicle and personal are up and down this Soi constantly so must be aware of the situation . Education plays a large part in teaching the young about the harm done to the environment but the problem is the lack of law enforcement / fines to those who think and know they can get away with it !    Green Oases ?? I don't hold out much hope for that without a radical change in environmental and enforcement policies .  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Sorry, as much as most of us love certain aspects of Thailand, we all know the grandiose Thai plans are likely to be abject failures. It's almost guaranteed. 

That's right all the plans in the world  cannot change the actions of the man on the street.

• Thanks 1