Plug-in Hybrids the way to go

mortenaa

29 minutes ago, merijn said:

I read a of reviews of the car and in general they are impressed for what you get for the price and also the build quality.

The only big question would be what the rest value would be when you want to sell after x years.

I have to say I don't understand resale values of cars in Thailand. If you want to buy second hand they are expensive, but if you want to sell they are cheap. But I am sure you are right an MG PHEV will not be worth much second hand. 

• 2 weeks later...

My PHEV has been delivered and I am charging it and the running the house completely off-grid.

spacer.png

Paddle shifters are for adjusting regen breaking level and Super Sport Red button engages both engines for 258bhp and a 0-60mph/100kph of 6.9 seconds.

spacer.png

More LEDs than I have ever seen on a car 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My PHEV has been delivered and I am charging it and the running the house completely off-grid.

spacer.png

Paddle shifters are for adjusting regen breaking level and Super Sport Red button engages both engines for 258bhp and a 0-60mph/100kph of 6.9 seconds.

spacer.png

More LEDs than I have ever seen on a car 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Acceleration is about 7.5-8 seconds from local Thai reviews. But you didn't buy it for the acceleration. Range is still limiting on most of the cheaper ev's at the moment. 

Edited by DavisH

6 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Acceleration is 8-9 seconds from local Thai reviews. But you didn't buy it for the acceleration. Range is still limiting on most of the cheaper ev's at the moment. 

6.9 seconds from the official MG Website  - don't know if you have driven it, but certainly the fastest accelerating car I have ever driven.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Range is still limiting on most of the cheaper ev's at the moment. 

That is why this discussion is not about EVs, cheap or otherwise but PHEVs and titled "plug in hybrids the way to go" 

I can confirm that I can get 70km on EV only mode, which more than I do for 90+ % of my journeys. I can also use the car in hybrid mode with regen charging the batteries for longer journeys 

23 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I watched the Great Wall live presentation a few months ago  - no prices or dates.

https://www.autonews.com/china/great-wall-launch-9-models-thailand-factory-over-next-3-years

Not sure they will get away with the beetle design without a lawsuit. They use an ex-porsche designer for soem of their cars, and it shows. 

23 hours ago, br12stol said:

, how much did the solar setup cost is it a 7kw charger.

My solar system: 32 x 350 watt = 11.2kw @ ฿3,500 each. 10kW Hybrid off-grid Inverter @ ฿100,000. 16 Deep Cycle Gel Batteries 12V 200AH  = 38.4kWH  @ ฿10,000 each, plus fitting 

The wall charger was supplied and fitted free by MG it is their standard 7kW charger, but the onboard charger in the MG HS PHEV only pulls 3.7kW

MG HS PHEV is a luxury car for the price ฿1,359,000. It has all the bells and whistles you could want. I particularly like the onboard sim card that means the car is connected. There is a button on the steering wheel to call the call center for support. You can do "find my car"

https://www.mgcars.com/en/innovation/ismart

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Got an MG PHEV thing and I dutifully plug it in nine o'clock to get the cheap rate - and it seems every one else is doing this at the same time and overloading their billing systems? Because it ALWAYS FAILS the first three or four times I do it - tonight I left it for half-an-hour - worked fine first time

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 9:45 PM, nglodnig said:

Got an MG PHEV thing and I dutifully plug it in nine o'clock to get the cheap rate - and it seems every one else is doing this at the same time and overloading their billing systems? Because it ALWAYS FAILS the first three or four times I do it - tonight I left it for half-an-hour - worked fine first time

You mean 10 pm and not 9 pm? TOU starts at 22:00 hours.

Wall charger or granny cable? Sounds to me like either user error or a setting in the car. Definitely not overloading the grid.

42 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You mean 10 pm and not 9 pm? TOU starts at 22:00 hours.

Which just shows never beleive what the girl in the PEA says

43 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Wall charger or granny cable? Sounds to me like either user error or a setting in the car. Definitely not overloading the grid.

The charger is on the wall - don't know what a granny cable is. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Which just shows never beleive what the girl in the PEA says

The charger is on the wall - don't know what a granny cable is. 

A granny cable is the very slow level 1 charging cable that would have come with your PHEV that you plug into a regular wall outlet. Also referred to as the emergency charging cable. This will give you around 2 kWh per hour. The wall charger gives about 6-7 kWh per hour. 

You might have set your car to only start charging from 10 pm (off peak) which is why the charging session didn’t start at 9 pm. 

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

ou might have set your car to only start charging from 10 pm (off peak)

Nope sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't doesn't matter what time

Plug-in Hybrids the way to go

It depend on the reason why you would get one rather than an ICE vesicle.

If you get one because yo want to save money on gas , not a good idea.

It would take the lifetime of the vehicle to get back the extra cost you paid over the comparable ICE vehicle 

If you get it to save the environment , not really ,  because the complexity in Manufacturing two modes of transportation introduce as much CO2 as you save from the better gas milage, 

If you get it because it would have les repairs like an EV , not really, . Not only does it have the EV part to maintain, you also have the ICE part to maintain. 

So in conclusion,  it is neither a good EV or a good ICE vehicle , 

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

If you get one because yo want to save money on gas , not a good idea.

It would take the lifetime of the vehicle to get back the extra cost you paid over the comparable ICE vehicle 

An MG HS PHEV is a little bigger than a Honda CRV and quite a bit cheaper.

You might claim that the a Honda CRV will depreciate less so has a lower total cost of ownership. In the real world after 7 or 8 years all cars in Thailand are worth practically nothing. I have a friend who changes his CRV every 7 years, last time he got ฿400k for it.

Before you say that it’s unfair to compare a Honda CRV 7.9 sec 0-100 to a MG HS PHEV 6.9 sec 0-100, I would agree with you.

An MG HS PHEV has 70km of full EV mode, which is less than most people drive every day. 

16.6kW @ ฿2.6 Per kWh (TOU) =  ฿43 Per day 

If you get it because it would have les repairs like an EV , not really, . Not only does it have the EV part to maintain, you also have the ICE part to maintain. 

An MG HS PHEV comes with completely free servicing (including labour) for 5 years after that it’s only the non EV parts of the car that require servicing, they never touch the battery; inverter or charging  system (no moving parts) 

If you get it to save the environment , not really ,  because the complexity in Manufacturing two modes of transportation introduce as much CO2 as you save from the better gas milage, 

You didn’t bother to provide any evidence for your calculation.

The main criticism of EVs is the cost to produce the battery, but the MG HS PHEV can be driven as an EV 90% of the time and yet has a tiny battery and so has a much smaller initial carbon debt that will paid off in a matter of months.

“electric cars start with a carbon disadvantage, sometimes described as a “carbon debt”. However, that ‘carbon debt’ is paid off within about two years of driving the vehicle.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/23/do-electric-cars-really-produce-fewer-carbon-emissions-than-petrol-or-diesel-vehicles

Edited by Bandersnatch

16 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

An MG HS PHEV is a little bigger than a Honda CRV and quite a bit cheaper.

Probably even a lot cheaper that Mercedes Benz PHEV , Your point is?

42 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Probably even a lot cheaper that Mercedes Benz PHEV , Your point is?

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

If you get one because yo want to save money on gas

I extrapolated the discussion about cost of gasoline to include all costs associated with purchase and ownership of a vehicle.

Most people claim that all E-Vehicles are more expensive to purchase, so I chose a similarly spec’d ICE SUV to compare it with. 

• Agree 1