Thailand intensifies talks with EU for quick purchase of AstraZeneca vaccine

webfact

By The Nationv

800_07aa7cd234cb689.jpg?v=1612416555

Ministry permanent secretary Dr Kiattaphum Wongrajit

The Public Health Ministry has stepped up negotiations with British vaccine company AstraZeneca to import the first lot of its anti-Covid-19 vaccines this month and is also asking the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to consider importing and registering China’s Sinovac vaccine faster.

Ministry permanent secretary Dr Kiattaphum Wongrajit said on Wednesday that Thailand aimed to procure the first lot of 50,000 AstraZeneca vaccines by February 14 despite the European Union limiting exports amid delivery disputes and a shortage of doses.

He said there was an agreement before the problem arose but now the Thai government is providing information to the EU for the purchase of the vaccines.

The ministry expects the EU to consider Thailand’s case and allow the first lot of vaccines to be exported upon agreement, before the kingdom goes in for bulk vaccine imports in June.

In addition, the FDA is now studying laws for the “emergency” import of Sinovac, manufactured by the Biotech company. Thailand expects to import this vaccine too this month.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402231

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-02-04

41 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

It might be a huge advantage that Britain is no longer a member of this administration monster of incapable lazy bones calling themselves EU.

Direct negotiation will be much faster and efficient.

Yes, why not import the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine directly from UK?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They were meant to be manufacturing the AZ vaccine here, but there were articles in the Thai media a couple of weeks ago (now removed) that said the deal was dead in the water.

Can't expand on why further, because it may be in breach of forum rules.

That's why I was suggesting a direct import from UK. The EU manufactures Pfizer/BioNTech in Belgium, although I understand the Oxford AstraZeneca is now also producing in some EU countries. As has been noted, the EU has failed miserably in vaccination rollout, whereas UK, post Brexit, has excelled. I know of several in UK who have had their first jab, and my brother told me he was informed yesterday that he's getting his first on Wednesday next week. More than 10 million have received their vax in UK.

The US also has a very poor rollout. The new Administration is righting the fiasco of the warp speed rollout of the previous Administration, but I understand there are supply issues. What was promised as a "reserve" by the previous HHS secretary was a complete fabrication.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn't there some articles a few months back that Thailand was setting up their own labs to manufacture the vaccines?  The work has been done on these vaccines I would think they just need the chemistry to manufacture it?

I am glad I am here but all my friends back home are getting vaccinated.

Edited by bkk6060

1 hour ago, webfact said:

So are they talking to the EU, or are they talking to AstraZeneca?

Isn't the AstraZeneca vaccine being locally produced in Thailand?

• Haha 1

Thailand should have joined the COVAX vaccination plan, I note one of the Thai Health Ministers said its for poor countries only but thats just not true.

"Participants that do not appear in the list below have either exercised their rights to opt-out, have not submitted vaccine requests, or have not yet been allocated doses."

Canada, New Zealand, Singapore are just some of the developed countries who have been allocated vaccines from them.

If you take a look at the list there's over 140 countries getting some supplies of vaccines from there. https://www.gavi.org/sites/default/files/covid/covax/COVAX-Interim-Distribution-Forecast.pdf

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, polpott said:
46 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Because most of it is produced in the EU, produced in Holland and bottled in Germany.

Try Belgium.

Looks like those big pharma money grabbers make it very complicated themselves.

Do I smell an attempt at increasing prices, for something that will actually cost a few dollar cents to produce?

https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-oxford/a-56427963

AstraZeneca has partnered with several contract manufacturers across the EU to scale up the production of its COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine, or the drug substance, is currently being produced at two facilities in the Netherlands and Belgium. It's the company's Belgian partner, Novasep, which has struggled with low yields.

The vaccine is then filled into vials and packaged in Dessau in eastern Germany by IDT Biologika and by Catalent in Anagni, Italy. Spanish pharmaceutical group Insud Pharma will also undertake vial filling and packaging services for the vaccine in Spain's Castilla-La Mancha region.

Russian pharma company R-Pharm's German unit has also signed up to produce the vaccine at its site in Illertissen in southern Germany. China's Wuxi Biologics could potentially use a former Bayer factory in Wuppertal, Germany, to manufacture the vaccine.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Susco said:

Looks like those big pharma money grabbers make it very complicated themselves.

Do I smell an attempt at increasing prices, for something that will actually cost a few dollar cents to produce?

https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-oxford/a-56427963

AstraZeneca has partnered with several contract manufacturers across the EU to scale up the production of its COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine, or the drug substance, is currently being produced at two facilities in the Netherlands and Belgium. It's the company's Belgian partner, Novasep, which has struggled with low yields.

The vaccine is then filled into vials and packaged in Dessau in eastern Germany by IDT Biologika and by Catalent in Anagni, Italy. Spanish pharmaceutical group Insud Pharma will also undertake vial filling and packaging services for the vaccine in Spain's Castilla-La Mancha region.

Russian pharma company R-Pharm's German unit has also signed up to produce the vaccine at its site in Illertissen in southern Germany. China's Wuxi Biologics could potentially use a former Bayer factory in Wuppertal, Germany, to manufacture the vaccine.

I guess you got the city wrong Bayer is in cologne (Leverkusen  )

11 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I guess you got the city wrong Bayer is in cologne (Leverkusen  )

I got nothing wrong, I just copy and pasted an article from Deutsche Welle, and I assume they know what they are talking about.

You want to claim that Bayer has only 1 factory in the whole of Germany?

Now look, even Bayer doesn't know where their factories are.\\

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/wuxi-lays-out-eu150-million-to-take-over-bayer-plant-germany-boosting-supply-network-for

Shanghai's WuXi Biologics is ending the year how it started: with plans to take charge at a Bayer facility in Germany. The company's latest site acquisition follows deals for three U.S. facilities this year, part of WuXi Bio's gung-ho expansion efforts outside of China. 

WuXi Bio is stumping up €150 million ($183.3 million) to take over Bayer's drug substance manufacturing facility in Wuppertal, Germany.

image.png.6a55be1233e44cdea47195fa1abb67e4.png

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Susco said:

I got nothing wrong, I just copy and pasted an article from Deutsche Welle, and I assume they know what they are talking about.

You want to claim that Bayer has only 1 factory in the whole of Germany?

no but I live in Wuppertal and I never heard about a factory here and never seen one 

2 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

no but I live in Wuppertal and I never heard about a factory here and never seen one 

Try to get out a bit more, it has only been there for little over 200 years, 24/7on the forum is never a good idea. ????

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

Just now, Susco said:

Try to get out a bit more, 24/7on the forum is never a good idea. ????

Werner Baumann has been CEO since 2016. Founded in Barmen in 1863 as a dyestuffs factory, Bayer's first and best-known product was aspirin.
Bayer.
Headquarters in Leverkusen

9 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Werner Baumann has been CEO since 2016. Founded in Barmen in 1863 as a dyestuffs factory, Bayer's first and best-known product was aspirin.
Bayer.
Headquarters in Leverkusen

Bayer AG was founded as a dyestuffs factory in 1863 in Barmen (later part of Wuppertal), Germany,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer

Barmen is a former industrial metropolis of the region of Bergisches Land, Germany, which merged with four other towns in 1929 to form the city of Wuppertal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barmen

Are you sure you live in the same Wuppertal?

Well to answer that question myself.

I didn't know Germany and Australia, where you claimed to live just minutes ago, are the same country.

Edited by Susco