Goodbye Pattaya! Almost everyone in the entertainment industry has left - apartment complexes empty

rooster59

On 2/13/2021 at 6:33 AM, hotandsticky said:

...because the alternative may not be attractive. 

An Isaan woman running a massage shop is different to the Nightwish Group etc, and they really don't prefer the lifestyle upcountry. The incentive to struggle on in an environment they are more comfortable is quite powerful.

If outgoings are more than income, what choice is there, debt, or more debt, for what?  Can always start up business again, when it's more profitable to do so.  

Edited by Leaver

On 2/13/2021 at 7:02 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

Do you suggest they just give up?

Then what?

I suggest they should have an understanding of the situation. 

Many most likely think that as soon as farang are vaccinated that they can, and will, come back here.  That's simply not the case.  Thai's will have to vaccinated as well.

I have no problem with minimising costs, but when expenses exceed income / revenue, even with the minimised costs,  what is the point?

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If outgoings are more than income, what choice is there, debt, or more debt, for what?  Can always start up business again, when it's more profitable to do so.  

Easy to say start up business again but from what state? New premises, new fixtures, fittings, staff, licences, key money, marketing etc. That can be very expensive and require a lot of capital. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Many most likely think that as soon as farang are vaccinated that they can, and will, come back here.  That's simply not the case.  Thai's will have to vaccinated as well.

.... and the virus would need to stop mutation, which seems unlikely.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Easy to say start up business again but from what state? New premises, new fixtures, fittings, staff, licences, key money, marketing etc. That can be very expensive and require a lot of capital. 

I have no doubt that many here have walked away from leases, but the ones that walked away early may be in a better position to start back up than those that have remained in the game, possibly accumulating debt.

Furnishings may be in storage.  Licenses may still be current.  Most staff will likely come back, and if not, will be very easy to find when covid is coming to an end. 

There will be plenty of premises to chose from, perhaps for some, in a better location, and for cheaper rent.

There's probably going to be about another year of the same conditions here.  That will be 2 years out of a current lease without profits.  For many, that basically means the business is not going to be profitable for the term of the lease. 

Perhaps some may have wished they got out earlier.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

.... and the virus would need to stop mutation, which seems unlikely.

Hopefully, the global population can be vaccinated to a point that the virus dies out, before it mutates into a strain the current vaccination can't kill.  If not, the world could be back to square one.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 6:54 PM, owl sees all said:

Most Thais do live in villages, although many have leccy and water.

Shame about Patts. But then; shame about a lot of things around the world.

I am blessed to be in Isaan. Trees everywhere. Dirt roads. Clean air. Nice people. Dog packs a bit of a downer, and once the rains start, have to look out for snakes. Is there a better place to live than Isaan?

If you live alone on a mountain that's great. But if you have to deal with your lady bull <deleted> and her family. Then no.  Hope you live in peace. ????

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I think for many guys living in Issan, their Thai lady has their farang well and truly where they want them.   

How does someone who works all their life, and aspires to retire in Thailand, most probably with sun, sea, sand and seafood nearby, end up in a small town in Issan, where they will see out the rest of their days? 

If you ask them, they will say it was their choice and how great Issan is, and for a small percentage, that may be true, but for the majority, I don't believe them.  

They could always become a youtube vlogger and wander around a polluted,  stinking up country city telling us how great the farang food and nightlife is.

Maybe even throw in a few clips of the new house build for good measure.

But dont forget to take the missus everywhere for translation services and to try the thai food in a farang eatery.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I think for many guys living in Issan, their Thai lady has their farang well and truly where they want them.   

How does someone who works all their life, and aspires to retire in Thailand, most probably with sun, sea, sand and seafood nearby, end up in a small town in Issan, where they will see out the rest of their days? 

If you ask them, they will say it was their choice and how great Issan is, and for a small percentage, that may be true, but for the majority, I don't believe them.  

I agree with you.

An old friend of mine, now deceased, used to live in Patong, Phuket where I first met him.

Through somewhat injudicious choices he ended up living in a tiny village in Uttaradit Province in a way too small house with way too little money.

I visited him 3 times over the years and after 203 days, I was climbing the walls!

He said he liked it there, but I knew him better than he thought I did.......

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VBF said:

I agree with you.

An old friend of mine, now deceased, used to live in Patong, Phuket where I first met him.

Through somewhat injudicious choices he ended up living in a tiny village in Uttaradit Province in a way too small house with way too little money.

I visited him 3 times over the years and after 203 days, I was climbing the walls!

*Should have been  2-3 days!!!!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

I dont believe them neither where I live in the south of the island surrounded by the ocean a beach in any direction in the 20 years of living here I've known a few guys move to sticky rice land to live amongst the extended family trying to tell me it's great,

I can see they are well and truly trapped dont speak the lingo miles away from anything civilized they are nothing more than a Farang,

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I dont believe them neither where I live in the south of the island surrounded by the ocean a beach in any direction in the 20 years of living here I've known a few guys move to sticky rice land to live amongst the extended family trying to tell me it's great,

I can see they are well and truly trapped dont speak the lingo miles away from anything civilized they are nothing more than a Farang,

I call a previous Pattaya pal who moved 'out there' maybe 4+ years ago now. He makes it sound as good as possible by mentioning one or two western owned bars/eateries he attends.... 

The reality is it is far far cheaper for him to live up there than in Pattaya and she got the little house in her name she nagged him for, for some years. I sense he is that object of discussion kept in the corner on a computer.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:13 PM, VBF said:

I agree with you.

I've visited a few friends in Issan.  Makes for an interesting conversation when you discuss health care in Issan with them. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 3:43 PM, ChipButty said:

If it wasn't for their weekly trip into town to go to the ATM to get money to hand over, they would never see civilisation again.  ????

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2021 at 10:57 PM, Orton Rd said:

'Entertainment industry' makes it sound almost legitimate and legal, which it's not of course, according to the 1996 law on prostitution.

Isn't that around  the time you permanently left Thailand?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

You have misquoted me.

Champers post that.  

No it was actually mine and I added a further corrective post (just after my original) when I realised I meant to type:

I visited him 3 times over the years and each time after 2-3 days, I was climbing the walls! ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, VBF said:

No it was actually mine and I added a further corrective post (just after my original) when I realised I meant to type:

I visited him 3 times over the years and each time after 2-3 days, I was climbing the walls! ????

Thanks for the correction.

I definitely know it wasn't me.  ????

• Thanks 1