Forest department 20 rai max ownership, and confiscate any land over that amount.

Yesterday, my wife was called to a mooban meeting. The forest department was present. They urged people to sign a paper, stating that you have 20 rai of land max, give them all the land more than that, and on top of that, once signed, you cannot change the ownership for 30 years. If you do not sign, they said no water & electricity can come to your land.

Some background. Our whole valley is situated about 15km east of pala-u, 30km west from hua-hin, prachuap khirikhan. This seems to be a country wide policy "to give poor people land". Our whole valley is farm land (mainly rubber-trees, pineapple & palm), and I personally know people here living and farming off this land for around 50 years. 

We own 30 rai, and I know people in the area who own around 100 rai (mostly farmland title (3)). I wonder what the forest department is thinking... are people going to give their land away (like 80 rai?). Also I wonder why they need a signature? 

Does anybody has answers to this?

And, by the way, nobody signed any paper in that meeting

Edited by tracker
  • Thanks 1

We have 100 rai in isan,last year the forest department drew a new border.

All our land is ajoining(sor por kor titles),they drew the new border through one title(straight through the middle of our house) which was 28 rai,the Mrs was given 19 point something in her name,how the rest works is carry on as normal as the other land is not considered forest land.

We live on the edge of village(800 metres away),to get a straight answer is nigh impossible why this was done but the logic to me is they are rezoning it for future housing land which would be worth more.

Will see when the land rates are due. 

22208.jpg

Edited by farmerjo

6 hours ago, farmerjo said:

We have 100 rai in isan,last year the forest department drew a new border.

All our land is ajoining(sor por kor titles),they drew the new border through one title(straight through the middle of our house) which was 28 rai,the Mrs was given 19 point something in her name,how the rest works is carry on as normal as the other land is not considered forest land.

We live on the edge of village(800 metres away),to get a straight answer is nigh impossible why this was done but the logic to me is they are rezoning it for future housing land which would be worth more.

Will see when the land rates are due. 

22208.jpg

We don't lose anything,the land rezoned is where the dam is and above.

The new boundary being the blue line and road,the rest of our land is outside the blue line area.If all our land was inside the new boundary i would perhaps be concerned.In theory i guess they could make us knock down half the house.

The others in blue writng are neighbours with small titles,for instance the one below ours has a 6 rai title and that person was given 3 rai(changed to forest) so if he wants to put up structures it has to be inside the blue line but still retains all of the 6 rai. 

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1

To add further,we were landless farmers whom hold chanotes in other peoples names and have had it set up that we pay the yearly land rates on those titles in the wife's name at the local tessaban.

Now at least she has some of it officially in her name.

It has been a positive for her.

Don't quote me but i think a Thai person is allowed to own a maximum of 50 rai.

I would suggest you get a copy of the map of the new boundaries to see where your wife's land is situated.

Edited by farmerjo

Thanks for the replies. I will try to get a map of this area. What is puzzling, and maybe a positive sign, is that they came to ask for signatures from the people. That would imply that they cannot do anything without!? I least I hope so. 

• Like 1