Biden says challenging for U.S. to reach herd immunity by summer's end

webfact

Biden says challenging for U.S. to reach herd immunity by summer's end

2021-02-07T220209Z_1_LYNXMPEH160L7_RTROPTP_4_USA-BIDEN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Joe Biden listens to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Director Col. Andrew Barr while meeting with staff members during a visit to the facility in Bethesda, Maryland, U.S., January 29, 2021. REUTERS/ Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Joe Biden said that it will be difficult for the United States to reach herd immunity, at least 75% of the population inoculated against the coronavirus, by the end of this summer.

"The idea that this can be done and we can get to herd immunity much before the end of next -- this summer, is -- is very difficult," Biden told CBS news in an interview.

As of Sunday morning the United States has administered 41,210,937 doses of COVID-19 vaccines and distributed 59,307,800 doses, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

(Reporting by Mike Stone; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-08

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Well at least we are moving in a fact based direction with competent leadership I got my first jab of the maderna vaccine no side effects I’m my case I’m still following all safety protocols to protect my fellow citizens 

Best of luck.

Edited by ExpatOK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

President Joe Biden said that it will be difficult for the United States to reach herd immunity, at least 75% of the population inoculated against the coronavirus, by the end of this summer.

He's kind of right, it's not 'difficult' - it's impossible in a country that size. It will take longer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

how can you have a delivery plan when labs are holding production for quality purposes? or can't face the demand?

Biden is going to be exposed to be worse than Trump when it comes to making "baseless" projections ????

How can you have a delivery plan before the vaccine is delivered?  Seriously?  That's the time when responsible people do their planning.

Are you a parent?  Did you wait until the child arrived before you started plans for life with a child?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

how can you have a delivery plan when labs are holding production for quality purposes? or can't face the demand?

Biden is going to be exposed to be worse than Trump when it comes to making "baseless" projections ????

Pfizer expects to cut COVID-19 vaccine production time by close to 50% as production ramps up, efficiencies increase

"Pfizer expects to nearly cut in half the amount of time it takes to produce a batch of COVID-19 vaccine from 110 days to an average of 60 as it makes the process more efficient and production is built out, the company told USA TODAY...

"We call this 'Project Light Speed,' and it's called that for a reason," said Chaz Calitri, Pfizer's vice president for operations for sterile injectables, who runs the company's plant in Kalamazoo, Michigan. "Just in the last month we've doubled output."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/02/07/pfizer-expects-cut-covid-19-vaccine-production-time-almost-50/4423251001/

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2