Thailand has contingency plans to secure COVID-19 vaccines

webfact

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Modifying any vaccine means they have to start all the phases of clinical trials again which may take another one year.

It's not like Windows update when you can just download without any human trials. What may work in the past may not work now and vice versa.

Actually if you look at Pfizers documentation their trial was scheduled to finish January 2023. And that was a rush job, it finished 2 years early, albeit with little useful information obtained, due to greed and political pressure. We are the test subjects, except many of us are not dopey volunteers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It looks like this virus has seasonal suicidal tendencies so they should be able cope, but then the two hemispheres will surely keep them busy and in the money. 

Their that adjustment sounds better

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Close to 90% of people aged 60 and older in the country have received their first dose of Pfizer’s 2-dose vaccine so far. Now, data collected by Israel’s Ministry of Health show that there was a 41% drop in confirmed COVID-19 infections in that age group, and a 31% drop in hospitalizations from mid-January to early February. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00316-4

One reason there may be blips or spikes is due to the younger population not vaccinated yet?

Thanks, the drop in hospitalizations is bit more encouraging, though I see from that article it's not just me who's been disconcerted by the slow decline in cases.

I don' think the spike over the last few days is hard to attribute solely to the unvaccinated population, unless they suddenly changed their behaviour. One exception might be if they weren't social distancing much, and a more infectious variant has started spreading amongst them. Even if that's the case, since the Pfizer vaccine is supposed to work pretty well on both UK and SA variants, I guess the spread should slow markedly now vaccination of younger age groups has started...

(Another possibility is they've stepped up testing in order to provide better data to feed back to Pfizer. If so they should emphasize the +ve rate more; vaccinations failing to bring the case count down quickly risks playing into the hands of the anti-vaxxers...)

Edited by onebir
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, onebir said:

Thanks, the drop in hospitalizations is bit more encouraging, though I see from that article it's not just me who's been disconcerted by the slow decline in cases.

I don' think the spike over the last few days is hard to attribute solely to the unvaccinated population, unless they suddenly changed their behaviour. One exception might be if they weren't social distancing much, and a more infectious variant has started spreading amongst them. Even if that's the case, since the Pfizer vaccine is supposed to work pretty well on both UK and SA variants, I guess the spread should slow markedly now vaccination of younger age groups has started...

(Another possibility is they've stepped up testing in order to provide better data to feed back to Pfizer. If so they should emphasize the +ve rate more; vaccinations failing to bring the case count down quickly risks playing into the hands of the anti-vaxxers...)

Yes and the other aspect to keep in mind is that they have been in strict lockdown for weeks, so numbers would have naturally fallen anyway and so must contribute to the overall decline. Not just the vaccine.

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 hour ago, Rancid said:

Actually if you look at Pfizers documentation their trial was scheduled to finish January 2023. And that was a rush job, it finished 2 years early, albeit with little useful information obtained, due to greed and political pressure. We are the test subjects, except many of us are not dopey volunteers.

I suspect that some vaccine-related deaths might not be reported so that people will still continue to buy it.

Pharmacy is a big money making machine for these companies. 

Edited by EricTh

3 hours ago, DLock said:

So, the contingency plan if AZ fails to deliver is to secure other vaccines from other producers.

That's you plan?

You can actually keep a straight face while you are explaining that you in fact don't have a contingency plan?

That's what facemasks are used for here in Thailand.

When Thailand had 100+ daily cases back in March last year, they were already panicking and implemented a lockdown.

Now the numbers have gone up to 500+.... and they still haven't vaccinated anyone yet.... 

Indonesia has vaccinated thousands...

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Eventually the virus will mutate the other way and become harmless, it is inevitable - at that point it needs to be identified and allowed to flourish.

Is this true?  I have never heard this.  I would think that a harmless variant would quickly disappear and the more harmful (or at least more infectious) would continue to spread.  What is your source of this statement?

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Eventually the virus will mutate the other way and become harmless, it is inevitable

The flu still kills between 300k - 600k people per year globally. How long has the flu been around?

9 hours ago, sungod said:

How do they manage with the seasonal flu shots?

That's a whole different ball game, best not to go there as it's not relevant for the COVID vaccine which is very, very different in every way possible including the long winded manufacturing process (for the flu vaccine) which involves of all things, growing it inside chicken eggs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

Is this true?  I have never heard this.  I would think that a harmless variant would quickly disappear and the more harmful (or at least more infectious) would continue to spread.  What is your source of this statement?

Have you caught SARS lately, the 2003 variant?

It doesn't need to spread, it can mutate itself out of existence or into something harmless, or something more deadly, it's entirely random, as such any and all outcomes should be expected given enough time.....and we have all the time in the world.

6 minutes ago, dcnx said:

The flu still kills between 300k - 600k people per year globally. How long has the flu been around?

The flu mutates differently to coronavirses, very differently and very quickly. Many of the strains will have gone down the evolutionary path to extinction over the millennia, others have gone down the path of utter death and devastation (1918 H1N1).

The permanent origin or reservoir for these viruses are animals, hence swine flu, bird flu, etc.

So its been around in one form or another making the species leap to humans and back to animals every now and again for 1000's of years. For some reason unknown to me it's never been a priority to eradicate influenza - a big mistake which I have a feeling 'they' will rectify in the coming decades.

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Have you caught SARS lately, the 2003 variant?

It doesn't need to spread, it can mutate itself out of existence or into something harmless, or something more deadly, it's entirely random, as such any and all outcomes should be expected given enough time.....and we have all the time in the world.

Maybe my question was not clear.  I was wondering where you got the information that Covid virus mutation to becoming harmless was "inevitable"?

As you say the process of mutation itself is entirely random so why would it be "inevitable" that it would mutate to become harmless.

I am not interested in a peeing contest about this, just asking a simple question: what is your source for the information that mutating to a harmless variant is inevitable?

16 hours ago, webfact said:

He said Thailand’s vaccine rollout is not late, considering the current problems surrounding production and deliveries.

And if you say it's late you'll get thrown in jail.

Continued incompetence and a lack of transparency doesn't bode well for his censure debate. Of course if I had 250 Aces up my sleeve I'd carry on too.

I'm sure there are reasonably intelligent underlings. but doubt the Generals would ever listen to them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keith101 said:

This vaccine has been rendered pretty much useless against the new variants especially the South African one where its only helpful against very mild cases . If this gets into Thailand then they should maybe forget about their order 

I haven't read past your quote but I can only imagine what people are saying. I think you should delete your own post my friend.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

That's right, it's VERY late. 

Having just seen the news where a world map was shown outlining where certain countries are expected to complete vaccination. Guess where Thailand was? In the very slowest group of countries not expected to complete vaccination until 2023 and onwards. If people are expecting any kind of travel "in the third quarter of this year", forget it. 

16 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

That's right, it's VERY 

6 hours ago, dcnx said:

This virus has killed over a million in fact many million in just one year.  Kind of puts the flu on the low end of the spectrum.  So this will also be around for awhile, hopefully this does not continue at the same level with vaccinations in place.  Yet we do not carry a vaccination card showing we have been inoculated for the flu.

• Like 1

Must be getting AstraZeneca confused with the abbreviation AZ. He has contingency plans A through to Z and is now at contingency plan X, when it gets to contingency plan Z he will have to come up with another way of listing his amazing contingency plans. ????????

17 hours ago, keith101 said:

This vaccine has been rendered pretty much useless against the new variants especially the South African one where its only helpful against very mild cases . If this gets into Thailand then they should maybe forget about their order 

Not correct,

It stated with regards to information available it offers little protection against mild cases but does offer protection against serious infections.

In Europe they are adapting the vaccine to take this new variant into account, for it to get into mainstream use takes about two months. However, the SA strain is not the major concern in Europe and the UK.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/uk-expert-no-reason-to-think-south-africa-variant-will-be-dominant.html

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mike1967 said:

I haven't read past your quote but I can only imagine what people are saying. I think you should delete your own post my friend.

Yes,

And he misquoted scientific evidence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

In Europe they are adapting the vaccine to take this new variant into account, for it to get into mainstream use takes about two months. However, the SA strain is not the major concern in Europe and the UK.

Not sure about whether Europe are concerned but the UK certainly is.

Mass Covid testing blitz in three London areas amid fears new South African strain cases are tip of iceberg

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/mass-testing-london-new-covid-south-african-strain-b918328.html

UK starts door-to-door COVID testing in eight regions to stop South African strain from spreading

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-03/uk-begins-testing-thousands-for-covid-variant/13115608

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not sure about whether Europe are concerned but the UK certainly is.

Mass Covid testing blitz in three London areas amid fears new South African strain cases are tip of iceberg

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/mass-testing-london-new-covid-south-african-strain-b918328.html

UK starts door-to-door COVID testing in eight regions to stop South African strain from spreading

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-03/uk-begins-testing-thousands-for-covid-variant/13115608

Your quotes are from six days ago and this is a rapidly changing situation , mine was from information available yesterday.

I understand your quotes and I am not trying to score points, it just seems my link is more recent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/uk-expert-no-reason-to-think-south-africa-variant-will-be-dominant.html

22 minutes ago, SwampyThai said:

Must be getting AstraZeneca confused with the abbreviation AZ. He has contingency plans A through to Z and is now at contingency plan X, when it gets to contingency plan Z he will have to come up with another way of listing his amazing contingency plans. ????????

When he gets to Z, it unfortunately is spelled XI, and he will be bowing down and prostrating himself upon the floor to his new master.

• Haha 1