Thailand has contingency plans to secure COVID-19 vaccines

webfact

11 minutes ago, ukrules said:

heard AZ are going to modify the vaccine to take into account any new mutations

"To be ready by November" according to a report I saw yesterday (Sky News). The Pfizer vaccine's the only one (I've heard of?) that's supposed to work well against the SA variant.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's actually pretty much the opposite of what you said. The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine still provides good efficacy against all the variants other than the South African one and even for the SA variant where its efficacy is lower it still provides protection against severe illness, hospitalisation or death. It's only against mild cases that it is not so effective.

See report below where it is stated, in relation to the AstraZeneca vaccine (and others):

"What that is looking like is that we may not be reducing the total number of cases but there's still protection in that case against deaths, hospitalisations and severe disease."

BBC News

Keith 101 is right. You are wrong. That is why South Africa has stopped with the AZ rollout.  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/south-africa-covid-variant-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-b1798952.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, onebir said:

"To be ready by November" according to a report I saw yesterday (Sky News). The Pfizer vaccine's the only one (I've heard of?) that's supposed to work well against the SA variant.

Right, that's why they're launching a hotel based quarantine scheme for those entering the UK from 'red zones'.

Eventually the virus will mutate the other way and become harmless, it is inevitable - at that point it needs to be identified and allowed to flourish.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

He said Thailand’s vaccine rollout is not late, considering the current problems surrounding brown envelope shortages.

Fixed it for you

If it's not late I wonder what word he has to describe what it is? The plan?Maybe even the ever changing plan.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Listening to Anutin on the MONO 29 news right now is just laughable.  I really honestly do not know how he can tell the porkies he is telling with a straight face.  He must be stoned is all I can say.

If he was high on his own supply not only would he not be able to keep a straight face but he would be breaking that drug dealers golden rule.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Correct. It isn't late, it's non existent.

Israel has already given an initial shot to over 60% of its population in comparison.

Thailand still has no idea when or where theirs is coming from.

Israel was extremely lucky, with a smallish population and a rather good health system (notably the IT) & the initiative (&/ chutzpah) to try jump the queue. Most countries lack at least one of those factors (developing countries in particular).

But despite getting so many vaccinations done, the case count hasn't come down that much (~20% reduction from peak in 7dma as of 8th Feb) and had a worrying upward blip in the last few days. That may be due to lags in development of immunity + some superspreader events (huge religious funerals) about a week ago. I hope that's the case, because another possibility is that the spread's being driven by a variant (possibly even an undocumented one) that the vaccines they're using (mostly Pfizer) doesn't confer resistance to.

(I'd like to see if the hospitalizations in Israel are coming down better, if anyone has a handy link to a graph of that.)

• Like 2