UK had 'one or two' Brexit teething issues on fishing, minister says

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

I've told you before -you can check out but you can never leave- how can we? G,eographically we're tied to Europe.

There is even a Minister for Brexit now -Frost .

Brexit will never end, be done because of the multitude of ties- economic, security, culture, research, etc that bind the UK to the EU.

And the EU is far bigger than the UK economically so you'd better get used to the UK giving in to the EU, as with Johnson's  Xmas dea.l

If that really were the case, I’m confident we would be subjected to smug silence from the Remainers.

In the even, we have the continuous wails about Boris from the deeply and mortally offended loosing Remainers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Are you yet another Brexiteer who believed that we would retain all the benefits of membership without the responsibilities?

Your comment certainly suggests that you are!

We have left the EU and now have to suffer the consequences; get over it!

I'm a staunch remainer, was just about to buy my retirement farm house near Limoges, when Brexit removed my right to live there, and probably any state pension increases if I 'd chosen to push it. My retirement plan is now in ruins.

Edited by OswaldBastable

5 hours ago, vogie said:

"It's interesting that you don't dispute my description of Johnson as a liar, "

Would it change your mind if I did, would you say I always over exaggerate Boris Johnsons fibs because he democratically took us out of the EU and I don't like it, I don't agree with it even though most of our country do. I will get back at the voters who voted to leave by calling the man childish names like liar. You should thank your bottom dollar that Labour are not ruining the country at the moment and thank the lord we have someone like Boris to lead us out of trials and tribulations we are suffering at this very time. 

Its about time some posters on here appreciated the difficulties the great man must be undergoing at the moment, instead of all this abuse you give him, why not say a little prayer for him tonight before you retire to the comfort of your own bed and be thankful you do not have his worries.

why not say a little prayer for him tonight before you retire to the comfort of your own bed and be thankful you do not have his worries.

Why...?

oh !  or  are you so worried for him after AZ  jab .....blood clots fear maybe  ?   ????????????

Edited by david555

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I suspect that as long as we remain locked into the FPTP system, where a minority of votes can give a thumping majority, we will never see a break from such polarised politics. Despite being out of power for a decade, I still think that Labour would not support any move away from the status quo either - the two big parties have much to lose if we had a fairer, more representative government. 

Now we see a situation that the winners are the more media savvy, where the message needs to be less about their own party's policies as about scaring the population about what is the only alternative available. 

I'm not so sure. I remember when the complaint levelled against FPTP was the exact opposite i.e. that it leads to  consensus politics as parties sought the middle ground. 

I find it a dilemma. Intuitively I favour PR, but it can put the balance of power in the hands of a minority party and  lead to too much compromise and weak government. 

I might not like the current administration, but the FPTP system does mean that they should be able to implement their manifesto commitments (although you might be forgiven for thinking otherwise after reading some TVF posts; whenever there is a problem, it is always somebody else's fault).

8 hours ago, OswaldBastable said:

How much red tape did they put in front of our COVID vaccine? I bet it was nothing like 71 pages per delivery.

If you consolidate products from different sources - and it is food related - you need to track the source of ALL food back to their source in case the food is contaminated by stuff like e-coli etc.   If you want to trade manufactured goods, it would be easier but they still need an overall documentation of inputs since to qualify for special treatment it has to be greater than a certain percentage of the inputs being procured in the EU/UK.  (the later I think requires more documentation for the first shipments and less for later since it should be on file).   If the systems were in place it would be easier to handle the import/export documentation -- much easier... but now it is all a manual process for most... and that is a nightmare.  It would have been better if they had the agreement and had a period of transition where you continued under current regulations and provided the documentation (which it would not be rejected if insufficient or wrong) -- for a couple of years (which was an option turned down) while all the processes were worked out.  The UK basically asked for it to be more difficult than it would have been.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Right so you only count the foreign aid from EU countries as what comes from the EU institutions? Each individual countries contributions are ignored?  

As individual countries, they are recorded as such and are listed individually on the chart, as is the EU Institution, NB. Institution in the singular, not the EU Institutions as you tried to misdirect.

Try reading the chart it's quite clear to most people.

Edited by Tofer
  • Sad 1

On 3/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, candide said:

No it is not.

It makes no reference to the advance payment for the "investment in development of additional manufacturing plants"

Edited by Tofer

14 hours ago, david555 said:

Why...?

oh !  or  are you so worried for him after AZ  jab .....blood clots fear maybe  ?   ????????????

Don't tell me you really swallowed that stupid line from your EU masters.....

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Don't tell me you really swallowed that stupid line from your EU masters.....

you did not see the 3 smiley's  ?? , as  brexiteers do not see a joke easily  ,   "a prayer for Boris " ???? ... hence the blood clot fear  assumed...

O.K. now ? ????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

very interesting, today when I asked @vinny41 about the absence of a UK embassy for the EU (it's not an embassy, it's a mission), he answered "we have one" citing the Belgian embassy instead.

The problem is the same that having Frost as a head of negotiations for the EU–UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement : you have the most vital issue for the UK and you send a guy who is simply out of his depth.

and after that, the UK complains that the treaty is not well negociated!

Frost was sidelined for a while, but he is now back, which means the UK is unable to improve or even tr properly manage the EU–UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement

• UK  refuses to reopen talks on issues "that hurt the most" such as security, the plight of exporters and the end of permit-free tours for musicians.
  • the ratification of the deal itself has been plunged into doubt, with the EU launching legal action over the UK’s breach of the Northern Ireland Protocol

.. and this will get worse, as the UK is still sending his worst employees and makes diplomatic work with the EU a career dead end

as for now the UK export stats to its main market, the EU, are beyond the worst of what was decried as "project fear".

after you reap what you sow: a catastrophe.

Note the BJ's popularity ratings are excellent, though

The Good thing about Frosty is that the EU citizens love him so much that you don't want him replaced

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2021 at 12:10 PM, OswaldBastable said:

I see the 'red tape' as the EU's way of punishing the UK for leaving.

So when the UK created this red tape together with the other countries many years ago, (1) it not only was able to foresee that many years later Brexit would happen, (2) it also decided to punish itself for it?

• Like 1

Very pessimistic paper considering the expertise and change of stance of the authors 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/22/brexit-deal-no-deal-trade-and-cooperation-agreement

Even no deal might make more sense than this unstable Brexit agreement

Far from generating goodwill and a better working relationship, the trade and cooperation agreement has done the opposite

• Sad 1

On 3/21/2021 at 1:12 PM, Rookiescot said:

OK here is what we know.

The European Union remains world’s leading donor of Official Development Assistance with €75.2 billion in 2019 | International Partnerships (europa.eu)

But of course by using creative accountancy and different methodology you are trying to prove what? The UK gives more foreign aid than the EU? 

Yes. For crying out loud - read the chart to which my comments refer.

The UK are the highest percentage of GNI contributor from the DCA members aside from Norway, Luxembourg.

What's so difficult for you to understand in that statement. The figure you quote is for the EU countries in total and only represents 0.49% of their GNI, whereas the UK contributes 0.7% of their GNI. There's nothing creative about those statistics, which are not accounting by the way, just simple statistical facts.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Yes. For crying out loud - read the chart to which my comments refer.

The UK are the highest percentage of GNI contributor from the DCA members aside from Norway, Luxembourg.

What's so difficult for you to understand in that statement. The figure you quote is for the EU countries in total and only represents 0.49% of their GNI, whereas the UK contributes 0.7% of their GNI. There's nothing creative about those statistics, which are not accounting by the way, just simple statistical facts.

No reference to GNI?

Screen Shot 2564-03-23 at 05.10.40.jpg