Bank docs for retirement extension based on 800k

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

From Trat Immigration. Required letter, statement same day, make a small transaction to up date passbook, I would copy every page of passbook.

At least the first two with bio info, and 12 months.. Get them to copy the last page after update. Sign and stamp.. No need to pay for 12 month statement.. Wastes time and 100 THB.

5 hours ago, easydoor said:

The most easy way is using a FIXED account. On a FIXED account you don't do any movements, so there is no statement needed. The only bank letter you need is in what the bank declare you are the only owner of the account and all year the amount has been untouched on the account.

Never had a problem with it.

Yeah, well, at least that's the theory ... 

Meanwhile we hear/know of immigration franchises asking for bank letter plus 12 month statement even in these clean cut cases as well.

That statement now costs 200 and requires an additional visit to the bank a week prior which fairly sucks as it takes them about that long to deliver (BKK BK). 

Can't help the impression these people would miss spectacularly at licking a popsicle!

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office is requiring bank statements for money in bank method retirement? 

Several of them are asking for it. Some will accept the bank book instead of them if it has been updated regularly. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 11:39 AM, allane said:

- I always take my bankbook when I apply. If Immigration wants to know what my balance was one year prior, they can look at it.

-in the present case, the OP has previously posted, indicating that this is his initial application.

I tried that with Jomtien and the gal at the desk insisted I make a copy of the preceding page as well, even though she could see on the copy of the last page I hadn't touched the account since my last extension renewal. I don't think she was being a pest, I think that was just the way she was told - get a copy of the last TWO pages of the bankbook. T.I.T.S.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Several of them are asking for it. Some will accept the bank book instead of them if it has been updated regularly. 

I keep reading this stuff. I use 2 accounts with Kasikorn. One is a FD 600K+ skip that one. The other is savings a/c 200k+, usually I never touch these accounts.

Last year I stayed several months on koh Samed. I never touch these two accounts, however with no bank on island I used my "extension Kasikorn a/c" using ATM. I ran it from 200k down to zip over several month amounting to 30 plus withdrawals. Point is when back in Bangkok and deposit 200k in it EVERY withdrawal was listed for several months. 

As I understand it they are only consolidated if there is a certain # of transactions in a month. Some people are using their every day account for their annual extensions. Bit foolish in my thinking. 

You say several of them are asking and SOME accept if regularly updated. 

Several + Some does not equal over 70 imm offices.

There was a report some months back about this. Turned out the guy was doing internet transactions with his account perhaps 30+ per week. Hence they were consolidated.

So my recommendation to folk is set up an account for your money in bank retirement extensions. No need to update. No need for bank statements.

Edited by DrJack54

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So my recommendation to folk is set up an account for your money in bank retirement extensions. No need to update. No need for bank statements.

Affirmative, dot's exactly what we're talking about, 12mth FD on auto-renew, 800k plus change, no ins except interest, no outs at all, several updates over the year showing steady amount with only the date changing ... still, additional 12mth statement required.

4 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

still, additional 12mth statement required.

So Phayao and from above post Songkhla require bank statement and the photocopies of your previous 12 month bankbook pages along with bank letter does not cut it!

Wonder how many other nonsense immigration offices have jumped on this recent band wagon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

Hat Yai, Songkhla.

So exactly what happened when you applied for annual extension based on retirement using money in bank method?

You showed bank letter. Perhaps updated balance on the day and photocopies of your bankbook for last 12 months.

And then they said what? ....we want "bank statement" for previous 12 months.

When did this start. If you have obtained extensions previously without this requirement. 

@jollyhangmon if possible same question. Just to  give folk accurate detail of requirements. Was this required previously.

Point being that this has never been required. 

Income method different story.

Edited by DrJack54

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So exactly what happened when you applied for annual extension based on retirement using money in bank method?

You showed bank letter. Perhaps updated balance on the day and photocopies of your bankbook for last 12 months.

And then they said what? ....we want "bank statement" for previous 12 months.

When did this start. If you have obtained extensions previously without this requirement. 

@jollyhangmon if possible same question. Just to  give folk accurate detail of requirements. Was this required previously.

Point being that this has never been required. 

Income method different story.

The requirement to provide a 12-month bank-statement for renewing your 1-year extension of stay for reason of retirement based on your original Non Imm O or O-A Visa when using the Funds-in-Bank method,  started already months ago at a couple of Imm offices.  But it has gradually spread to many others.

The background of that requirement being that some banks when updating your bank-book and not doing that regularly, consolidated the transactions made over a longer period.  As a result of that 'bank-book page-saving exercise' the Imm officer handling your application was not able to check whether you had not fallen at some time during such a consolidated period under the +800K and +400K tressholds.  And instead of requiring such a 12-month bank-statement only from those applicants of those banks applying that consolidation mechanism when not regularly updating, they imposed that 12-month bank-statement on all those that had to maintain the +800K/+400K during the preceding 12 months. For the large majority of applicants it is a senseless and annoying extra document they have to apply for, as the content of that extra document is exactly same as what your bank-book shows if it doesn't feature such a consolidation period (and that happens only with certain banks and when long time not updating your bank-book).

An additional difficulty being that at some bank branches, they are not able to create that 12 month statement and need to order at Bank headquarters.  In such cases it can take up to 5 working days before you get hold of that document, so you need to order it well in advance.

Another head-ache because of this non-alignment between bank-procedures and Immigration regulations.

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

up to 2018: standard bank letter + original bankbook (updated) + copies

2019: 6 month statement added

2020: 12 month statement required, so either you get 2x 6 month statements (on the spot, the 1st after half a year, the 2nd before you extend) or you need to order one for 12 months a week before you extend to pick up together with the standard letter ... 

Apparently bit of a regional clusterfcuk as folks also needed appointments for the 2020 extensions but - as opposed to the income methodists - mostly didn't know that a years statement takes about a week to obtain, I was told 3 months prior when I was there for a 90day rep and also made an appointment for the extension but no mention of having to wait a week etc.

When I rocked up at the bank on extension day as usual the banker already had respective experience, explained, gave me my instant 6 month statement plus standard letter and called ahead, telling them everything fine, stash was there all year round (not like one couldn't verify that clearly out of a FD bankbook anyway, but that's the whole point here, isn't it) but now only 6 month statement available on the spot ... worked out, but next time around to be conducted as outlined above!

Very entertaining, never a boring minute with those apparatschiks ... just kiddin', as cute as they are, they're actually a considerable rectal discomfort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The background of that requirement being that some banks when updating your bank-book and not doing that regularly, consolidated the transactions made over a longer period

As I stated in earlier post. I did ATM withdrawals over 7 months of 20k per transaction. So ~ 30 transactions. Never updated bank book. EVERY one was listed when I attended bank and made a deposit.

I would like to see explanation of why some are consolidated. As I also suggested earlier, I can only guess it's a everyday bank account with MANY transactions per month. I read somewhere that ~more than 30 transactions per month lead to consolidated.

Bit tied of the "some offices routine"

Certainly CW does not apply this nonsense and my guess is most do not. Except of course as previously mentioned folk using everyday account for extension purposes. Foolish in my opinion.

37 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

up to 2018: standard bank letter + original bankbook (updated) + copies

2019: 6 month statement added

2020: 12 month statement required, so either you get 2x 6 month statements (on the spot, the 1st after half a year, the 2nd before you extend) or you need to order one for 12 months a week before you extend to pick up together with the standard letter ... 

Apparently bit of a regional clusterfcuk as folks also needed appointments for the 2020 extensions but - as opposed to the income methodists - mostly didn't know that a years statement takes about a week to obtain, I was told 3 months prior when I was there for a 90day rep and also made an appointment for the extension but no mention of having to wait a week etc.

When I rocked up at the bank on extension day as usual the banker already had respective experience, explained, gave me my instant 6 month statement plus standard letter and called ahead, telling them everything fine, stash was there all year round (not like one couldn't verify that clearly out of a FD bankbook anyway, but that's the whole point here, isn't it) but now only 6 month statement available on the spot ... worked out, but next time around to be conducted as outlined above!

Very entertaining, never a boring minute with those apparatschiks ... just kiddin', as cute as they are, they're actually a considerable rectal discomfort.

So why make it sound like every bank is the same?  

• Confused 1

So from pics below. I personally attended bank 13/06/19 to make 200k deposit.

Followed by months of ATM transactions.

Next entered bank to deposit 200k 13/08/20.

Every ATM withdrawal shown.

Do I need update every month or so?..NO.

IMG_20210220_224615.jpg

IMG_20210220_224632.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Certainly CW does not apply this nonsense and my guess is most do not. Except of course as previously mentioned folk using everyday account for extension purposes. Foolish in my opinion.

Yes, absolutely ridiculous to use a rare and rather exceptional possibility (banking with one of those rare banks that when you update your bankbook do consolidate your transactions under certain conditions) to impose an across-the-board requirement on everybody using the Funds-in-Bank method for their 1-year retirement extension application.  

But of course once that requirement has been entered into the Imm 'checklist' there is no going back anymore, and everybody will have to comply with just another additional document requirement that in +99% of cases is totally redundant because it contains exactly the same information as your bank-book.  

Also most applicants will not be aware of that new document requirement (of course it is not published, but simply imposed Thai style), and it gives the Imm Officer a reason to refuse your application and sending you away to get hold of that document.  As it can take up to 5 days to get hold of it at bank branches that need Headquarter to create it, that will for sure create a problem when applying close to expiry date of your permission to stay and being refused for that crazy reason.

A friend of mine living in HuaHin @RocketDog, was almost refused the 1-year extension of his Non Imm O-A based application as he applied last minute, and could only get hold of a 6-month bank-statement at his local bank branch.  But after some whining and grudging the Imm Officer handling his application decided to grant it in spite of him not having the 'required' 12 month bank-statement.  In his case it was clear that he had sufficient funds on his account and that he hadn't moved them as his bank-book evidenced.  But when your application is handled by a dimwit 'according to the book' Officer, he would have had to get hold of it, and that would have resulted in a couple of days overstay (which of course can hount you later on, as the overstay-stamp will trigger extra scrutiny when using immigration 'services').

• Like 2

It is likely beneficial for those using FD to get their interest monthly (paid into a savings account).  That will give an extra entry in your book every month that will also include the balance.  Much better than an FD book from 9 months ago showing a million baht deposit and nothing since. 

23 hours ago, easydoor said:

The most easy way is using a FIXED account. On a FIXED account you don't do any movements, so there is no statement needed. The only bank letter you need is in what the bank declare you are the only owner of the account and all year the amount has been untouched on the account.

Never had a problem with it.

I would assume that most 400 and 800 monies are in fixed accounts. If so, do you need to update the book every month?

52 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

es, absolutely ridiculous to use a rare and rather exceptional possibility (banking with one of those rare banks that when you update your bankbook do consolidate your transactions under certain conditions) to impose an across-the-board requirement on everybody using the Funds-in-Bank method for their 1-year retirement extension application.  

How hard it is to get the one year bank statement depends upon which bank you using. Some can do it while you wait (SCB does that). Bangkok Bank takes about a week to get one.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Issanman said:

I was gone for the entire year of 2020, due to being unable to return. Now I am back and I finally got my book updated at the Bangkok Bank counter. They left out every single transaction that I did in 2020. And there were plenty of transfers, both in and out. None of them shown.

Not asking for sympathy or advice. Just showing that there are some things that happen that don't always follow along with the simple cut and dried explanations and advice given by some on this forum. After all, TIT.

How did your visa/extension survive being gone all of 2020?

3 minutes ago, Issanman said:

They left out every single transaction that I did in 2020. And there were plenty of transfers, both in and out. None of them shown.

That is normal at all banks as far as I know. Requesting a statement will resolve the problem.

I requested a one year bank statement last year at Bangkok Bank but got one for a year and half due to a misunderstanding. I use the income option that requires a one year statement to prove it even though my bank book is updated every month.

On 2/11/2021 at 8:38 AM, LALes said:

No bank letter needed at Jomtien, only a current update of your bankbook and copies of your passport and visa.

Wow - I know Jomtien is probably the most accommodating in all Thailand but this is fantastic.  Do I also need proof of address like a rental agreement and/or telephone bill with my name on it?

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Wow - I know Jomtien is probably the most accommodating in all Thailand but this is fantastic.  Do I also need proof of address like a rental agreement and/or telephone bill with my name on it?

A TM30 provides proof of where you live, but you might need your lease/bill to get it.  TM30 enforcement caries widely, but nevertheless, the IOs are on the lookout for people jurisdiction shopping for an easy extension...only the agents can do that.  

51 minutes ago, Issanman said:

I was gone for the entire year of 2020, due to being unable to return. Now I am back and I finally got my book updated at the Bangkok Bank counter. They left out every single transaction that I did in 2020. And there were plenty of transfers, both in and out. None of them shown.

Not asking for sympathy or advice. Just showing that there are some things that happen that don't always follow along with the simple cut and dried explanations and advice given by some on this forum. After all, TIT.

Download and save or print a statement online on say 1st every month. Job done.

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Download and save or print a statement online on say 1st every month. Job done.

That would indeed provide the required evidence of all transactions made during that month.  But not sure whether Imm Office would accept 'self-generated' bank-statement prints.  The 'official' bank-statements normally also carry a bank stamp, and it's possible that your IO would insist on such official ones.  Asking your bank to stamp your 'self-generated' bank-statement prints could be an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, streetlite said:

I would assume that most 400 and 800 monies are in fixed accounts. If so, do you need to update the book every month?

In the 2 fixed accounts (Bangkok Bank and TMB) that I've had in the past, there was no update entry made as there was no balance change, and interest was only given once a year (it was 1 month after my annual extension).

• Like 1