Trump impeachment gives Thais a lot to ponder

snoop1130

Trump impeachment gives Thais a lot to ponder

High-of-the-week-11-FEB-NO-TEXT.png

Two most difficult periods to bring a politician to justice are during the peak of his (or her) power and the time after he has just lost it. Thailand has been taught the lesson time and again and the pain is being experienced in America.

Countries have adopted their own ways of dealing with politicians deemed corrupt, or criminal, or being threats to national security. Thailand, under a much-lauded “People’s Charter” promulgated in 1997, introduced the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the Constitutional Court as well as a special section in the Criminal Court to handle political office holders. America has impeachment, although the measure is reserved for the highest rulers.

Which system is better can be subjected to endless debate. The Thai one won praises initially but went downhill in many people’s eyes after Thaksin Shinawatra was let off the hook in the “Servants’ Shares” scandal. This is not to say, however, that the American system is the one to follow.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/trump-impeachment-gives-thais-a-lot-to-ponder/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-02-11

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, puck2 said:

Show Trump a map of Eurasia and ask him where to find Finland  .... he will search it in Russia, although i doubt, he even would find Russia.

However, he knows exactly where Nambia is and can point out the countries of Nipple and Button with ease....

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Which system is better can be subjected to endless debate.

Well they both seem to have the same conclusion.

Thaksin can't be Prime Minister again.

Trump's impeachment if found guilty can't be President again. 

• Like 1

A heartfelt request to my fellow TVers, as I am trying to look busy at work whilst reading the TV news forums.

It is not helpful when a photo of a troupe of go-go girls is randomly inserted into a news/political thread.

It is even less helpful, that when I try and quickly scroll down past said photo, someone has then quoted said picture again in their response.

You will blow my cover and get me in trouble. ????

Edited by realfunster
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

What is there for Thai's to ponder?  Thaksin may have been barred from office, but a Coup did happen.  Having a new Constitution written here in Thailand everytime the military steps into politics by staging a Coup is not great either.  This becomes a moving target.

Impeachment of Trump and the voting him out of office is a democratic process response.  It is much much better than staging a Coup as has been done so often here in Thailand.  If Thailand's military had stayed out of politics and let a normal election go forward, then Thai's would eventually get a real democratic form of government.

Thailand's military and its "unspoken" keep a true democratic form of government from working here.

• Like 1

Thailand, under a much-lauded “People’s Charter” promulgated in 1997, introduced the National Anti-Corruption Commission - has any top active official ever been prosecuted under this statute, or any other corruption law, under this administration? 

the Constitutional Court- and what have they accomplished, that benefits the average Thai?

as well as a special section in the Criminal Court to handle political office holders - again, has anyone in power during this administration been prosecuted, and imprisoned for breaking the laws?

In my humble opinion democracy always wins out, over an army ruled administration, that stifles dissent on as many levels as it can, threatens to punish dissenters with ridiculously long prison sentences, resists free and fair elections, and regularly charges the political opposition with phony, fabricated crimes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

A heartfelt request to my fellow TVers, as I am trying to look busy at work whilst reading the TV news forums.

It is not helpful when a photo of a troupe of go-go girls is randomly inserted into a news/political thread.

It is even less helpful, that when I try and quickly scroll down past said photo, someone has then quoted said picture again in their response.

You will blow my cover and get me in trouble. ????

Although you are somewhat right, do not take joking replies too seriously, but some topics deserve sarcastic responses. About the pic, they are just girls smiling.????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

When I talk with a potential thai GF, I always ask for 3 things they know about MY country-USA

Thousand mile stare........................................................

Most americans are exactly the same. Ask them where Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane are and they'll answer Texas. All the result of a very poor, self centred american education system.

18 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Most americans are exactly the same. Ask them where Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane are and they'll answer Texas. All the result of a very poor, self centred american education system.

That’s ignorant statement maybe your middle religious right states are Clueless the rest of the country knows , geography 

20 hours ago, Rancid said:

Trump despite not being the actual hero that many "deplorables" hoped was no worse than any of the others. The impeachment is a scam run by a very right wing and powerful group wearing the skins of the Democrat fake left. Suspect the loudmouth totalitarian woke on Social will get a shock when they also get cancelled. Demagogues tolerate their pet sycophants for a while but always dispose of them in end.

Hahahahahaha. Please stop! I cannot stop laughing. You are such a funny guy. I love your surreal humour!