Looking to buy medications for the first time here

4MyEgo

My meds which I normally get back in my home country are heavily subsidised by the government there, however they will run out in about a months time as I cannot get back with the pandemic to stock up again as I usually do.

I am now looking for places to buy them on the cheap here, if that's at possible or if there are any other options that I am not aware of whereby I might be able to get the cheaper, that or bite the bullet as they saying goes.

I have been quoted 640 baht for Irbesartan 150mg 28 tablets

Also been quoted 780 baht for Atorvastatin 40mg 30 tablets.

All information and or links would be appreciated as I know there is no way in high water that I am going to get them as cheap as I would back home as mentioned they were heavily subsidised by the government, but every baht will count as it looks like it will be at least 12 months, if not longer before I can stock up again when I go back to the old country.

Edited by 4MyEgo

21 minutes ago, jvs said:

Start looking for generic alternative here,i buy Bestatin for 200 baht 100 pils.

Bestatin in not a generic but may be an alternative statin.  There are about 3 actual Atorvastatin brands available but none are cheap and suspect 780 is a good price.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Go and speak to the local Pharmacies, around where I live they all speak good English the one I use mostly she's great really helpful, 

I did just that, they don't have heart meds, said hospital only, hence the reason I am here on TVF.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I did just that, they don't have heart meds, said hospital only, hence the reason I am here on TVF.

In that case you may want to meet with a doctor to check out everything and get a legitimate local prescription for alternatives, it won’t be a major investment as it is back home. Make sure that you take your current meds with you to show the doctor when you have your appointment.

And if you have a prescription already written by a doctor from your home country, it becomes extremely simple for a Thai doctor to write a new prescription here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You just quoted prices for several drugs so it appears pharmacy can provide them, or am I misunderstanding?  Price from mail order bangkokdrugstore is:

Besanta [Irbesartan] 150 mg [Box of 30 tablets]
฿450.00

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You just quoted prices for several drugs so it appears pharmacy can provide them, or am I misunderstanding?  Price from mail order bangkokdrugstore is:

Besanta [Irbesartan] 150 mg [Box of 30 tablets]
฿450.00

I was referring to my local chemist that said they don't have them.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That is utter nonsense. Likely not a real pharmacy i.e.does not have teal pharmacists on staff.

Where in Thailand are you located?

And can you contact your usual doctor back home and ask if OK to switch as follows:

Simvastatin instead of atorvastatin

Losartan instead of ibersartan

As these alternatives would be vastly cheapet

Nearest towns to me are either Sawang Daen Din or Ban Dung between Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon, both the big cities are an hour out.

I will take up your advice and see if I can make the switch after I email my Cardiologist to the brands you suggest above.

The chemist I went to in Sawang Daen Din is big and that's what the staff told me, will get the wife to also go with me on Monday as I found that to be pretty crazy, however I would think most Thai's who need such meds get them from the government hospital.

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Suggesting going to a Doctor seems poor advice as he is already taking these medications and they are readily available over the counter here.

Ask for the generic.

And sorry OP, it is only about 50 bucks a month.  For not being home and having any alternatives that seems a decent price.

Also, in my country I have to go to make a Doctors appt., then after that appt. take the prescription to a pharmacy, wait several hours then pay a co-pay.  Just walking into a pharmacy here is so convenient easily worth the minimal extra cost I think.

Anyway, good luck.

I'm sure OP is from Auss

Yes Thailand is much better & cheaper

Sounds like OP on is on Pension where he has to see doctor (for free ) for script every 6 mths where it maybe costs $6 p/script

I get 4 meds for $30 p/mth

As for the Pharmacy -  - They will  have a book of all drugs which tells them what is in it & advise on substitute 

I was taking Caduet 10/20 which costs a fortune in Thai. Has 2 components so I bought them seperately which was much cheaper

It really comes down to what is in the pills

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

I'm sure OP is from Auss

Yes Thailand is much better & cheaper

Sounds like OP on is on Pension where he has to see doctor (for free ) for script every 6 mths where it maybe costs $6 p/script

Yes from Aus, not on pension, have to pay for doc visit and claim a little back from Medicare, that said, meds are around $6 or 138 baht a pack of 30 each vs $28 or 640 baht per pack for one and $34 per pack or 780 baht for the other, providing a total of 1,420 baht or a 500% increase. 

Just sent my GP an email to see if I can switch as per Sheryl's suggestion to  

Simvastatin instead of Atorvastatin and Losartan instead of Irbesartan which would be vastly cheaper.

Thanks to all for your suggestions/recommendations, appreciated as usual.

37 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The chemist I went to in Sawang Daen Din is big and that's what the staff told me, will get the wife to also go with me on Monday as I found that to be pretty crazy, however I would think most Thai's who need such meds get them from the government hospital.

That large pharmacy in Sawang Daen Din next to the Yamaha shop is the only one that I could find that is willing to work with me and order anything I want. All the other pharmacies in my area that I went into would only tell me that they did not have it and would not order it. I live 90km from Sawang.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

In that case you may want to meet with a doctor to check out everything and get a legitimate local prescription for alternatives, it won’t be a major investment as it is back home. Make sure that you take your current meds with you to show the doctor when you have your appointment.

And if you have a prescription already written by a doctor from your home country, it becomes extremely simple for a Thai doctor to write a new prescription here.

He does not need a prescription, these are over the counter meds. His lical pharmacy misinformed him 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That is utter nonsense. Likely not a real pharmacy i.e.does not have teal pharmacists on staff.

Where in Thailand are you located?

And can you contact your usual doctor back home and ask if OK to switch as follows:

Simvastatin instead of atorvastatin

Losartan instead of ibersartan

As these alternatives would be vastly cheapet

Why not go to a Thai cardiologist (as those drug are for cardio issues) and obtain the drugs the cardiologist prescribes.  Then, go to any pharmacy in Thailand and buy the generic equivalents.  I mean if you're living in Thailand then hook up with a Thai doctor.  Most drugs that you've mentioned are not prescription based here - they are Over The Counter.  A doctor visit even in a private hospital isn't going to set you back more then 1000 THB for the doctor consult.  The hospitals make their money by jacking up the prices of medications.  Once you know what you need - your local pharmacist is your friend.  The shop around and find the best prices.  Big chain stores generally sell at a premium compared to private small pharmacies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Nearest towns to me are either Sawang Daen Din or Ban Dung between Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon, both the big cities are an hour out.

I will take up your advice and see if I can make the switch after I email my Cardiologist to the brands you suggest above.

i can't advise re Sawang Daen Din or Ban Dung and while i could suggest some prlaces in Udon, given the one hour trip each way it may make more sense to buy from a Thai pharmacy in Bangkok that ships.

Suggest you get prices from the following:

1. Bangkok Pharmacy

http://www.bangkokdrugstore.com/

(email them, don't go by what's on their websiute, they have much more than that)

2. Paiboon pharmacy

Line ID: YAPAIBOON

when you contact these, go ahead and price all 4: ibersartan, atrorvastatin, simvastatin and losartan and specify you want Thai brands

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

as do many of us falangs ,very cheap from my hospital 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

i can't advise re Sawang Daen Din or Ban Dung and while i could suggest some prlaces in Udon, given the one hour trip each way it may make more sense to buy from a Thai pharmacy in Bangkok that ships.

Suggest you get prices from the following:

1. Bangkok Pharmacy

http://www.bangkokdrugstore.com/

(email them, don't go by what's on their websiute, they have much more than that)

2. Paiboon pharmacy

Line ID: YAPAIBOON

when you contact these, go ahead and price all 4: ibersartan, atrorvastatin, simvastatin and losartan and specify you want Thai brands

Thanks Sheryl, just got a price from the Bangkok pharmacy website for Besanta Irbesartan for 450 baht for 30 tablets, that's cheaper than the 640 baht I was quoted elsewhere, and the same brand in 300mg tablets that I can cut in half for 660 baht, as I have been doing with the APOREX Irbesartan 300mg brand that I have been on, albeit I thought they were Sandoz, which was obviously the previous ones at 150mg. I will email them to see what else they have and prices.

Also joined YAPAIBOON on LINE and sent them a message to see what they come up with.

Let you all know how I go and many thanks, looks like will be putting some baht back in my pocket till I get back to the old country to get them through government subsidies.