Jump to content

Lithium Battery for Honda Click


Banana7

Recommended Posts

My first Click 125 battery lasted 3 years, a period which was mainly riding in the city which involved a lot of stop/start. I don't see that there's any need to upgrade the battery. The original worked just fine.

 

Different types of battery require different charging regimes and changing the battery type could actually have an adverse effect.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

My stock Click battery has lasted 3 years already and going strong, not sure why someone would need a lithium, usually they are lighter but hardly important. I'm not sure "idle stop" is relevant 

One reason idle stop is relevant is because when stopped, the lights remain on so the battery gets drained more frequently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

And the reason for lithium?

Basically the lithium last a long time overall, about 7 years. The lithium battery will normally start the bike even if it has been unused for 1 year. No luck with a lead acid battery starting a bike in 1 year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Basically the lithium last a long time overall, about 7 years. The lithium battery will normally start the bike even if it has been unused for 1 year. No luck with a lead acid battery starting a bike in 1 year.

 

Well OK. If I had an unused bike for a year I think I would remove the battery anyway. If racing I can see the loss of weight but for the road? Then should a lithium battery need charging one needs a special charger, which is OK as I have one for an RC boat. Lithium batteries are smaller so will rattle around unless one has a who bunch of foam to pack out the difference.  

 

I think a lithium battery for a road bike is a solution waiting for a problem. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

One reason idle stop is relevant is because when stopped, the lights remain on so the battery gets drained more frequently.

The drain on the battery should not be a problem. Vehicle batteries are designed to 'gobble up' energy quickly, so as soon as the engine restarts, there's a surge in the current being delivered to achieve that. 

 

Others have mentioned that a different type of charger is required to recharge a lithium battery. The circuitry on your Click is not designed for that type of battery and I strongly advice against this idea of yours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The drain on the battery should not be a problem. Vehicle batteries are designed to 'gobble up' energy quickly, so as soon as the engine restarts, there's a surge in the current being delivered to achieve that. 

 

Others have mentioned that a different type of charger is required to recharge a lithium battery. The circuitry on your Click is not designed for that type of battery and I strongly advice against this idea of yours.

I had a shorai lithium battery in my Yamaha nouve SX for 7 years. Never had an issue. Sold the SX and bought the click. The Click does charge the battery 14V. Shorai does require the bike to charge the battery with voltage not less than 14V. Yes the bike lithium battery does require a special charger, if it is not in a bike. Most motorcycles can definitely charge a lithium battery

 

Sometimes the Yamaha remained unused for 6 months. Always started on the first press of the start.

 

What's so special about the Honda charging circuit that it can't charge a lithium battery?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

 

Well OK. If I had an unused bike for a year I think I would remove the battery anyway. If racing I can see the loss of weight but for the road? Then should a lithium battery need charging one needs a special charger, which is OK as I have one for an RC boat. Lithium batteries are smaller so will rattle around unless one has a who bunch of foam to pack out the difference.  

 

I think a lithium battery for a road bike is a solution waiting for a problem. 

 

 

If a lead acid motorcycle (MC) battery is removed and remains unused for a year, it won't have sufficient juice to start the bike. Basically, MC lead acid batteries are not deep cycle. They are designed to put out high current for a short period of time, and will natural discharge, and be unusable after about 3 months of no charging.

 

Most MC charge batteries at 14V or more and that's all that is required to charge a shorai lithium battery, don't know about other brands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

What's so special about the Honda charging circuit that it can't charge a lithium battery?

As far as I know There's nothing special about the Click's charging circuit, which is why I am suggesting it could be a problem.  But your experience suggests otherwise, so it's up to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Banana7 said:

and be unusable after about 3 months of no charging.

I've had my PCX with a standard battery unused for 6 months at a time for 2 or 3 times or so, never had a problem starting it.

I agree with the other posters who say a Lithium Battery is a waste of money for a Click, but do whatever you fancy 😉

After a short look on Lazada/Shopee (and seeing one single battery on offer), I think nobody is officially selling Shorai batteries in Thailand

But if i search for something like "honda click lithium" neither Lazada nor Shopee gives any results as well, so the question is: Is there even any brand selling small Lithium batteries for scooters in Thailand?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My first Click 125 battery lasted 3 years, a period which was mainly riding in the city which involved a lot of stop/start. I don't see that there's any need to upgrade the battery. The original worked just fine.

 

Different types of battery require different charging regimes and changing the battery type could actually have an adverse effect.

 

 

Absolutely right. Lithium batteries have their plus points, but when charging they can be 'moody'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I frequently disconnect bike or car batteries in two (sometime 3) countries when I'm not there, back after 6 months or even 10 months, no problem at all... (although this year with covid when I go back it will be 20 months or more, see what happens...!!!)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If a lead acid motorcycle (MC) battery is removed and remains unused for a year, it won't have sufficient juice to start the bike. Basically, MC lead acid batteries are not deep cycle. They are designed to put out high current for a short period of time, and will natural discharge, and be unusable after about 3 months of no charging.

 

Most MC charge batteries at 14V or more and that's all that is required to charge a shorai lithium battery, don't know about other brands.

My Click started first time after 6 months away, maybe you need to ensure fully charged before leaving 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Banana7 said:

One reason idle stop is relevant is because when stopped, the lights remain on so the battery gets drained more frequently.

 

Not to mention the drain on the battery when the bike restarts. 

 

If you want a lithium battery go ahead it's a free country (mostly). I just don't see the requirement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Don't know what battery I am going to get  but just yesterday I ordered a new battery for my 5 yo Forza. I took the lower quote for a new battery , 3950 B. Far too much I thought.

Yes, far too much..

 

I recently replaced the battery for a Sym 400. It takes the same physical battery size and  amperage capacity as Forza.

 

1200 Baht including 50 Baht installation.

 

Dry (heng) maintenance free.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...