Netanyahu not bothered that Biden hasn't phoned him yet, envoy says

webfact

2021-02-13T191445Z_1_LYNXMPEH1C0HL_RTROPTP_4_ISRAEL-NETANYAHU-TRIAL-EXPLAINER.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu adjusts his protective face mask after receiving a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine at Sheba Medical Center in Ramat Gan, Israel December 19, 2020. REUTERS/Amir Cohen//File Photo/File Photo

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is not troubled that U.S. President Joe Biden has not phoned him yet, Israel's ambassador to Washington said on Saturday, seeking to play down the lack of direct contact so far.

There has been speculation that the Democratic president could be signalling displeasure over the close ties Netanyahu forged with former President Donald Trump, who called Netanyahu two days after his inauguration in 2017.

"The prime minister is not worried about the timing of the conversation," Ambassador Gilad Erdan told N12's Meet The Press. He said Biden had urgent matters to contend with, such as the coronavirus pandemic and its economic fallout.

On Friday, the White House denied that Biden was intentionally snubbing Netanyahu by failing to include him so far in phone calls to foreign leaders since taking office on Jan. 20, saying the two leaders would speak soon.

Biden has already called numerous foreign leaders, including those from China, Mexico, Britain, India, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea and Russia.

David Makovsky, a former U.S. Middle East negotiator at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said on Twitter that once Biden starts phoning Middle East leaders, Netanyahu would likely be first among them.

While the right-wing Netanyahu was in lock-step with Trump over Middle East policy, he could be in for frostier relations with Biden, although Biden has long been regarded in Israel as a friend in Washington.

Netanyahu may find the alliance tested if Washington restores U.S. participation in the Iran nuclear deal that Trump withdrew from and opposes Israeli settlement building on occupied land where Palestinians seek statehood.

(Reporting by Maayan Lubell; Editing by Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-15

39 minutes ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

Biden's perceived coolness probably has more to do with doubts about Bibi's political stability rather than any fundamental shift in foreign policy vis a vis Israel.

Just look at his neocon picks for important posts in his administration.

That says way more than a delayed phone call.

I don’t think that is exactly right.

I do agree that the generally strong USA Israel alliance is not under threat. 

But Biden will be different. 

He won't be making insane promises for solving the Israel Palestine conflict by using his Jewish son in law.

He will be somewhat more balanced in regard to Palestinian concerns.

He will be open to a fresh negotiation with Iran over nuclear issues.

He won't be making dirty deals with Saudi and Morroco shielded by accommodations to Israel.

But he won't be moving the US embassy out of Jerusalem. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

after you've read my comments, you'd be a fool to think i'm against israel or jews. but the truth is that jewish lobby is so powerful in the usa, nethanayu can sleep soundly at night, american establishment will always support israel, indeed.

29 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

after you've read my comments, you'd be a fool to think i'm against israel or jews. but the truth is that jewish lobby is so powerful in the usa, nethanayu can sleep soundly at night, american establishment will always support israel, indeed.

The so called "Jewish Lobby" is not one thing. AIPAC (right wing) and J street (left wing) are far apart. The future isn't so bright either. The vast majority of young American Jews don't feel a personal affinity for Israel largely because of the Israeli right wing. The growing American demographic of Latinos also are decidedly not feeling for Israel. Bibi has definitely done damage to the U.S. -- Israel alliance. 

To add, Mr. trump's Israel policy was much more about pandering to his massive far right wing Christian fundamentalist base than to Jews. Jews overwhelmingly voted against him in BOTH elections.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

The so called "Jewish Lobby" is not one thing. AIPAC (right wing) and J street (left wing) are far apart. The future isn't so bright either. The vast majority of young American Jews don't feel a personal affinity for Israel largely because of the Israeli right wing. The growing American demographic of Latinos also are decidedly not feeling for Israel. Bibi has definitely done damage to the U.S. -- Israel alliance. 

i was talking about the  establishment. i don't think you'll  find " the vast majority of young american jews ..." or "the growing american demographic..." among people who constitute the establishment 

1 minute ago, Pique Dard said:

i was talking about the  establishment. i don't think you'll  find " the vast majority of young american jews ..." or "the growing american demographic..." among people who constitute the establishment 

What establishment are you talking about? I will agree the U.S. -- Israel alliance remains strong  and in general it's still one of the third rails of American politics to be explicitly anti-Israel. For now. But Bibi plus Mr. trump have opened up a space where it's obvious that is going to change. Making Israel policy a partisan U.S. issue which Bibi promoted was a huge mistake. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nemo38 said:

There is a lot of money behind the movement to kick Bibi out. He wants an independent Israel and that won't fit in with the plan for a middle eastern union, governed from Israel.

It's not every day we see an original conspiracy theory. Even if this one is impossibly vague. Haven't a clue as to what you're on about. Can you be just slightly more specific? Was Netanyahu's arm twisted into signing peace accords with various Arab nations?

23 hours ago, Credo said:

I suspect that much of this has to do with keeping things in the ME on an even keel and that means when he starts calling the leaders, he will need to call all of them in a relatively short period of time.   

I think that's partially (or even mostly) to do with Iran. Calling this regional leader or that could be perceived as being in with them, or open the door for some pressure attempts, slips of tongue and the like. Biden's team probably awaits for the opening moves to be decided, before engaging other relevant parties in the region.

21 hours ago, pegman said:

Could it be that naming an illegal West Bank settlement Trump Heights  wasn't such a great idea after all? 

Other than that it's in the Golan Heights, and that it's more of a sign (well, not even than, see link), yes.

One year later, is the Golan’s desolate ‘Trump Heights’ a ‘hoax’?

https://forward.com/news/israel/448892/one-year-later-is-the-golans-desolate-trump-heights-a-hoax/?utm_source=PostUp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Afternoon Newsletter (Sunday RSS)&utm_maildate=06/16/2020