Facebook 'bully' move in Australia shows need for regulation, UK media trade body says

snoop1130

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd be happy just to have my friends posts and mine and get rid of all the media adverts and rubbish

One of the last reasons for keeping Facebook is because of using it as a newsstream. I don’t post any selfies or status update, and I don’t wanna see any of those or my friends. I just enjoy the stream of news. The other one I’m using is Google News. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

who or what is Facebook and also the other media companies 

seems to me they are now some sort of political force 

is that where they are going or already have become "political"

That is way beyond their remit as a chat room IMO

They should not have got involved in politics - yes censor illegal activities that every sensible reasonable person recognises - like terrorism or sexual abuse but they have gone too far 

It is quite scary what these media companies have become - power they should not have and I hope governments across the world take notice and do something about it very quickly

2021 is going to be a defining year for the future of big tech & the power it holds. From China to Australia & just about everywhere else, battles between government & tech are brewing.

China: https://gizmodo.com/china-rolls-out-new-anti-monopoly-rules-aimed-at-reinin-1846217803

Australia & Europe: https://www.politico.eu/article/australia-copyright-google-facebook-reruns-europe-battle/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

What do they expect? That they can force someone to pay for something? That would be bullying. They have all the right to make a law asking Facebook to pay for contents it steals from others. So does Facebook have the right to say “thanks, but no thanks”.

From the Australian government POV it utilises Facebook as a platform for messaging / advisory; any thing from Covid to Bushfire warnings and so on. Facebook has removed all Government content pages from their Australian operation which, IMO, was an unnecessary own goal and really <deleted> off senior government representatives, including the PM.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Like other similar websites, Facebook is a publisher.

It publishes materials that people post for free on its site. Great (I guess).

And it republishes materials prepared, paid for and published by other publishers. For which it wishes not to pay.

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

From the Australian government POV it utilises Facebook as a platform for messaging / advisory; any thing from Covid to Bushfire warnings and so on.

Why would a people's government tie their ability to broadcast to the citizenry, to a private computer program?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, car720 said:

Why would a people's government tie their ability to broadcast to the citizenry, to a private computer program?

Never claimed the above, only mentioned Facebook is an information platform used by Oz government, a platform approx 10 million have an account in Oz. Of course government has multiple electronic platforms to inform the public. Blocking all Oz government pages was IMO foolhardy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

One of the last reasons for keeping Facebook is because of using it as a newsstream. I don’t post any selfies or status update, and I don’t wanna see any of those or my friends. I just enjoy the stream of news. The other one I’m using is Google News. 

Interesting. I'm the total opposite. Prefer news from independent media without such a company that not only censors independent media but is clearly politically influenced.

• Like 1

I deleted my Facebook account over eight years ago. Given today's increasing censorship and ambiguity with regards towards street protests & policy within the corporate state that is the US, I'll go with independent credible  media any day. You know, ones that provide references rather than just cultural wars and 'dog whistles' sowing division among the weak minded.

????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

LONDON (Reuters) - Facebook’s move to block all media content in Australia shows why countries around the world need robust regulation to stop tech giants behaving like a “school yard bully”, the head of the UK’s news media trade group said.

Old people who don't understand how the internet works pretend to make laws governing it...

Forcing Facebook by law to pay for things that third parties share on its platform is immensely arrogant and dumb, Mr. Prime Minister, and all the other nitwits who don't understand how the internet works.

The publishers can block their content from being shared, it's not difficult. The problem is that they *want* it to be shared.

And now it's Facebook that is the bully because it doesn't want to re-publish newsstories?

Who got that retarded idea?

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

Interesting. I'm the total opposite. Prefer news from independent media without such a company that not only censors independent media but is clearly politically influenced.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: the news I am getting through Facebook (or Google News) are the same “independent media” that you are reading. It’s news written or published by Facebook but by the same “independent media” you may be reading. 

The only difference is that you are visiting and clicking through every newspaper’s website while I’m getting it served as one blended and curated stream. It’s really just more convenient. 

Australia's attempt to force internet providers to pay for local news services makes no sense.  Facebook is a private company and they cannot force them to use the local news services and pay for it.  If they are concerned, they can start their own web site with local news and pay for it.  I doubt it could ever be competitive!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Facebook’s move to block all media content in Australia shows why countries around the world need robust regulation to stop tech giants behaving like a “school yard bully”

Actually this should read:

Facebook’s move to block all media content in Australia shows why countries around the world need robust regulation to stop GREEDY NEWS OUTLETS behaving like a “school yard bully!”

• Like 1

So let me get this straight, news outlets open Facebook accounts so they can post their news there, I’m sure Facebook allowed them to monetize their feeds by posting ads, so the news outlets are actually making money with their Facebook accounts through ad revenue, but apparently that’s not enough so now they want Facebook to pay them on top of the ad revenue they’re already making because Facebook allows them to use their platform, talk about the biting the hand that feeds you, and the UK trade body accuses Facebook?! Just goes to show how fricking delusional these people really are! 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 1:35 PM, snoop1130 said:

Facebook argues that the British media market is different, after it launched Facebook News through partnerships with publishers such as the Daily Mail group, Financial Times, Guardian and Telegraph.

Ban the lot, too much propaganda and conspiracy theories about conspiracy theories.

Would be nice to get the truth somewhere.

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

So let me get this straight, news outlets open Facebook accounts so they can post their news there, I’m sure Facebook allowed them to monetize their feeds by posting ads, so the news outlets are actually making money with their Facebook accounts through ad revenue, but apparently that’s not enough so now they want Facebook to pay them on top of the ad revenue they’re already making because Facebook allows them to use their platform, talk about the biting the hand that feeds you, and the UK trade body accuses Facebook?! Just goes to show how fricking delusional these people really are! 

No it goes to show how much power Murdoch has across the globe. Pretty much controlling the media in Australia, Canada, the USA and the UK.

• Like 2