Thailand to increase speed limit to 120kph

rooster59

5 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

slow drivers should be punished, they are the ones causing most of the accidents

No, it's the fast drivers trying/swerving to avoid them that cause the accidents - that and changing lanes without using indicators, overtaking on the inside lane (a nightmare for any newcomer to Thailand) driving at night with no lights, back lights not working etc etc etc . 

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

We can sit back and watch the road toll at least double with this increased speed limit .

I don't think so, many already drove that fast !!! ... not much will change, and certainly not for the better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand to increase speed limit to 120kph

aerial-view-expressway-bangkok-city-thailand_56345-24.jpg

Thailand will increase its speed limits on major roads to 120kph, Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob announced on Friday.

The speed limit increase applies to major highways with four or more lanes and will increase from its current limit of 90kph to 120kph.

The increased speed limit came following a study carried out by the  Department of Highways, Department of Rural Roads, Department of Land Transport and Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning.

The new speed limit will assist with traffic flow while boosting convenience and safety for road users, the minister said.

The minister explained that the new speed limit will be applied to straight sections of roads, with four or more lanes where there are no intersections or u-turns. There must also be meridian barriers to divide traffic, Thai PBS reported.

In addition, the rightmost lane or ‘fast lane’ will also have a minimum speed limit of 100kph in order to reduce the risk of rear-ending collisions.

The new speed limit will apply to vehicles with less than seven seats but the speed limit for other vehicles will also increase, the minister said.

The new speed limits are as follows:

Vehicles with more than 15 seats: 90kph
Tow trucks: 65kph
Motorcycles: 80kph
Big bikes 400cc or above: 110kph
School buses: 80kph
Vehicles with more than 7 seats but less than 15: 100kph

The new speed limit should be effective by April, when it is expected to be published in the Royal Gazette.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-27

Just some more brain flatulence to be added to the infinite list of previous ones. ????

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

This so-called government have come up with some crazy ideas before, but this surely takes the prize for sheer stupidity.

Roads here are crazy enough with speed limit of 90, but 120 absolutely stupid.

Indeed, they haven't got a clue about real road safety. 

• Like 1

Now there's a good idea to reduce the population, but I believe from an article I read on here recently that the population figures are going down already - or was it lower birth rates among the hoi polloi that was of concern? 

5 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

It's not just the speed that's the problem. Most drivers here have no concept of safe distancing or stopping distances and most are incapable of performing an effective emergency stop. 

so true. cant use lanes indicators. no concept of whats around them and undertake its crazy

• Like 1

Up here in Laos ... they just opened up a new express Highway, approx. 109 kms of dual carriageway ... speed limit 120 kph in some sections ... locals who are used to 60/70kph on ratty Country roads are dropping like flies, over 30 dead, and over 70 vehicles involved in accidents and the highway has only been open for 2 months !!! (Vientiane to Vang Vieng if anybody is interested, its a toll road also)

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

This so-called government have come up with some crazy ideas before, but this surely takes the prize for sheer stupidity.

Roads here are crazy enough with speed limit of 90, but 120 absolutely stupid.

this governement has handled the covid crisis excellent and while other countries are still in the middle of a covid crisis (usa over half a million deaths) Thailand is doing great.

This governement has come up with many good  and progressive ideas. but i stand with you, this idea is a very bad idea.

that said, only roads with many lanes apply for 120 km/hr so probably only a handful of roads in Thailand will have 120 km/hr

• Haha 1

200 kph is a better number.  I saw a farang the other day with a baby on his back, no helmet on either of them.  You think increases the speed limit will make him smarter?  you think a family of 8 who have to go to the market will do things differently?

300 kph could also work.  If you try to cross the street, you have 0.08 seconds to make it alive.

I'm 99 and plan on buying my first big bike tomorrow.  tour the country!!!  

roads here are fine.  super safe.  i've played enough video games to be a pro.  car crash simulator seems fun!!!  

1 minute ago, Ventenio said:

200 kph is a better number.  I saw a farang the other day with a baby on his back, no helmet on either of them.  You think increases the speed limit will make him smarter?  you think a family of 8 who have to go to the market will do things differently?

300 kph could also work.  If you try to cross the street, you have 0.08 seconds to make it alive.

I'm 99 and plan on buying my first big bike tomorrow.  tour the country!!!  

roads here are fine.  super safe.  i've played enough video games to be a pro.  car crash simulator seems fun!!!  

Many cars are speed limited to 180km/h.............. we don't need those slow peeps rolling in the fast lane.

I asked my girlfriend once what the speed limit on the highway was because the signs all said 90, but she wasn't sure if they were minimum or maximum speeds. Traffic was whizzing by on the inside & outside, so I gave up on that one. Have to say though that 120 seems ok, because modern cars are designed to drive safely at much faster speeds, and most Thais don't obey the rules anyway. By the way, she told me that she had many speeding tickets at home, but never bothered to pay and never had any follow up. Sounds like Nirvana for speed hoons.....

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Frankly the problem of major road deaths could be minimized if vehicles that could travel no faster than 250 KPH were removed from the roads entirely ????

I was quoting Colin in humorous way not the kill joy brigade.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

When does go into effect? The article only states that it was announced on Friday. But it doesn't state when.

The last line although it doesn't give an exact date.

'The new speed limit should be effective by April, when it is expected to be published in the Royal Gazette'

Edited by kimamey