Thailand to increase speed limit to 120kph

rooster59

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

This so-called government have come up with some crazy ideas before, but this surely takes the prize for sheer stupidity.

Roads here are crazy enough with speed limit of 90, but 120 absolutely stupid.

Road conditions here are not crazy when put in context of the rest of the world.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

This so-called government have come up with some crazy ideas before, but this surely takes the prize for sheer stupidity.

Roads here are crazy enough with speed limit of 90, but 120 absolutely stupid.

No No you have to use some Thai logic the quicker you get to your destination the more spaces you leave on the road for other cars, hence less traffic jams and less chance of you having an accident right?????

• Haha 1

Increasing the posted speed to 120 km/h would be ok if the road was originally designed to that standard. The design speed is usually 10% above the posted speed. Lots of factors need to be considered when designing a road including horizontal and vertical geometry as well as the crossfall applied to the curves for the proposed design speed. It should be noted that these standards are based on dry road conditions. Most of the freeways/motorways/tollways in Thailand are designed for a 100 Km/h design speed hense the 90 km/h posted speed. Why do I know this? I've been designing roads for nearly 40 years. Not safe just to replace the 100 km/h speed signs with 120 km/n speed signs without making the necessary changes to the road geometry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

slow drivers should be punished, they are the ones causing most of the accidents

exactly driving from rayong to bangkok fast lane doing 80-85 so i pass to to left theres an idiot doing like 40 when the the speed limit is 120 kph was a close one

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MickGC said:

Increasing the posted speed to 120 km/h would be ok if the road was originally designed to that standard. The design speed is usually 10% above the posted speed. Lots of factors need to be considered when designing a road including horizontal and vertical geometry as well as the crossfall applied to the curves for the proposed design speed. It should be noted that these standards are based on dry road conditions. Most of the freeways/motorways/tollways in Thailand are designed for a 100 Km/h design speed hense the 90 km/h posted speed. Why do I know this? I've been designing roads for nearly 40 years. Not safe just to replace the 100 km/h speed signs with 120 km/n speed signs without making the necessary changes to the road geometry.

the 7 Motorway what speed was it designed for ?

Speed increaces the severity of colisions.The laws of physics apply to everyone, even an excellent driver in a high-performance vehicle. The faster you drive, the greater the risk of an accident and the more severe that accident is likely to be.Speed reduces your field of vision.The faster a vehicle is moving, the more information the brain receives. However, the brain can only process a certain amount of information at any given time, which means that at 120 km/h, it has to eliminate a large amount of peripheral information. The field of vision therefore decreases as speed increases.Someone who is driving very fast may not see the little girl who is about to cross the street to retrieve her ball, nor the car that suddenly enters the intersection.The greater the speed, the longer the braking distance.The stopping distance more than doubles between 30 and 50 km/h, and nearly triples between 50 and 100 km/h.Speed increases the time required to carry out emergency maneuvers.The faster you are moving, the harder it becomes to avoid obstacles. Driving more slowly makes it easier to avoid a cyclist who suddenly turns onto the road, for example. When driving faster, the possibility of avoiding the cyclist is reduced.Speed increases the risk of spinning out of control. Driving fast increases the risk of losing control of your vehicle, especially in a curve. The risk of skidding is greater at high speeds.In an accident, a vehicle stops abruptly and passengers who are not buckled in are thrust violently towards a point of impact (steering wheel, windshield, dashboard or another passenger). Even for those passengers who are buckled in, the speed at which the vehicle was traveling has a direct impact on the severity of the collision.

Like the words sung in one of Canned Heat songs. Speed Kills

7 hours ago, jvs said:

You are using your brains!Most people go spouting off how bad this idea is but it is

only a few highways where this will be implemented.

I think it is a good idea,the only draw back will be some people will be confused as to where it is

allowed and where not.

In my home country you can encounter 2 or more different speed limits within a few km.

Everybody Thai knows where it's 120 and where it's still 90, there will be no signs erected to tell you where it changes so everybody will keep doing 140+ where they can, and that includes areas where the limit is clearly marked as 50 in 2 local villages.

During a discussion today between (I'll avoid farangs as it seems to upset some) 5 Europeans it was observed by one that the speed limits on dual carriageways (2 lanes each way) will be increased to 120 as it's 4 lanes of traffic.

I really wish that they come out with their idiotic,  (non)logic

news a little earlier, I need a good laugh with my morning coffee.

(Not that they don`t have other hilarious stories to tell, but please,

make them official in the morning!)

Cheers!

I do not drive much long distance these days but I was always told that on dual carriageways like motoways and major main highways the speed limit was always 120 Kph unless ohterwise stated like where there are road works etr. And also on non dual carriageways the speed limit out of town was always 80 Kph.   So when did the speed limit on dual carriageways and motorways drop to 90Kph ??   I have been here and driven a lot here over the past 18 years and made it a point to quicklyhlearn Thia trafiic laws when I arrived here. I am certain it was always 120Kph top speed limit on dual carriageways 100% for sure.  So must have missed when, and indeed if, they reduced it to 90 Kph ??  Anyone know if, when and why that happened as I sure as heck did not see such an announcement ???

Glad to see they have done something about one of the biggest causes of road accidents on motorways and that is idiots using the outside lane when the inner lanes are free.  The outer lane I was always taught is for overtaking only and a minimum speed of 100Kph will go  along way to stopping selfish and rude dawdling idiots occupying the outside lane forcing folk to have to overtake on the inside or probably be late for their destination appintments. 120 Kph is a sensible limit for motoways and major dual carriageways.

Thailand I think needs some short public TV clips airing at peak viewing times to help train people in how to drive well and safely on motorways, like I remember they used to show in the UK on the main TV channels during peak viewing hours many many years ago to help folk improve their driving skills and to get them to think more about how they drive.  

Personally I like the German autobahn system of NO speed limit where it is shown to actually be safer rather than traffic bunched up close together all doing say 100 Kph rssulting in frequent big pile ups where motoway max speed limits are applied.  But then again German people know how to drive well.  Maybe I would like to see a 150 -160 kph top limit on suitable fast motorways here.

Also I would like to see  huge fines and even imprisonment for drivers who do not have and often have never had a valid driving license and thus have not had the training needed to pass the driving test to show that they have at least some competance in safe driving. There is absolutely no excuse for driving without a license and especially those who have never even had had a driving license and not even any essential basic training.  Sure some excuse with forgetfulness for those who may have overlooked that their driving license had run out, but surely, as I know they do in the UK, the authorities should simply write to you shortly before your driving license expires to remind you so then there is no excuse for not renewing on time.  Easy and sensible to do this and hardly rocket science.

Edited by rayw
many typos

RE - Thailand to increase speed limit to 120kph ...

* Prior to even think about any increase in speed limits, far better driving training should have been introduced and demonstrably reduced accidents significantly. Until that happens the correct thing to do is to reduce the speed limit to max 20 kph - on all roads nationwide .... 

With other words, you must learn to crawl before to run ... :thumbsup: 

Edited by ttrd

8 hours ago, Morch said:
10 hours ago, Psimbo said:

On the two or three roads in the entire country where it will actually be applied?

Give them an inch....I have no doubt this will be applied by drivers to pretty much any road.

Those drivers you have in mind applied this for many years already, and what the law says doesn't make any difference to them

1 hour ago, kiteman9 said:

Speed increaces the severity of colisions.The laws of physics apply to everyone, even an excellent driver in a high-performance vehicle. The faster you drive, the greater the risk of an accident and the more severe that accident is likely to be.Speed reduces your field of vision.The faster a vehicle is moving, the more information the brain receives. However, the brain can only process a certain amount of information at any given time, which means that at 120 km/h, it has to eliminate a large amount of peripheral information. The field of vision therefore decreases as speed increases.Someone who is driving very fast may not see the little girl who is about to cross the street to retrieve her ball, nor the car that suddenly enters the intersection.The greater the speed, the longer the braking distance.The stopping distance more than doubles between 30 and 50 km/h, and nearly triples between 50 and 100 km/h.Speed increases the time required to carry out emergency maneuvers.The faster you are moving, the harder it becomes to avoid obstacles. Driving more slowly makes it easier to avoid a cyclist who suddenly turns onto the road, for example. When driving faster, the possibility of avoiding the cyclist is reduced.Speed increases the risk of spinning out of control. Driving fast increases the risk of losing control of your vehicle, especially in a curve. The risk of skidding is greater at high speeds.In an accident, a vehicle stops abruptly and passengers who are not buckled in are thrust violently towards a point of impact (steering wheel, windshield, dashboard or another passenger). Even for those passengers who are buckled in, the speed at which the vehicle was traveling has a direct impact on the severity of the collision.

Like the words sung in one of Canned Heat songs. Speed Kills

We are talking here aboutmax speed limits on motoways and major dual carriageways without cyclists, pedestrians and hard intersections.  The speed limit of 120 Kph IMHO is on the slow side for such big safe roads and I have to say they are excellently built and designed here in Thailand and I wil even say better than most western countries including the USA and UK.  The severity of accidents indeed goes up with higher speeds but IMHO when driving faster a driver will (or bloody well should be) concentrating much harder and be more quick to respond to any incidents ahead of him thus less incidents and accidents then happen. That is why German Auobahns with no speed limits are proven to reduce and avoid mass pile ups caused by streams of closely packed vehicles all doing a maximum speed limit of say 100 Kph.

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The National speed  limit on Expressway 7 from Pattaya to Bangkok is 120 kph, however, most of the illuminated signs along its whole length  say its 90 kph.  So which is it? 

Up to you?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rayw said:

We are talking here aboutmax speed limits on motoways and major dual carriageways without cyclists, pedestrians and hard intersections.  The speed limit of 120 Kph IMHO is on the slow side for such big safe roads and I have to say they are excellently built and designed here in Thailand and I wil even say better than most western countries including the USA and UK.  The severity of accidents indeed goes up with higher speeds but IMHO when driving faster a driver will (or bloody well should be) concentrating much harder and be more quick to respond to any incidents ahead of him thus less incidents and accidents then happen. That is why German Auobahns with no speed limits are proven to reduce and avoid mass pile ups caused by streams of closely packed vehicles all doing a maximum speed limit of say 100 Kph.

I agree, but for one simple fact, Thais are just not trained and experienced enough to drive at  higher speeds. It will work for most Farang drivers,  but all it will do here is increase the carnage on the roads.  Its a stupid idea, born of arrogance and a misplaced sense of  'doing the modern thing'.  If anything, they should be reduced limits not increasing them. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The National speed  limit on Expressway 7 from Pattaya to Bangkok is 120 kph, however, most of the illuminated signs along its whole length  say its 90 kph.  So which is it? 

How can there be a National speed limit on one regional road?   Isn't it a Motorway? There are a few klong bridges over which the limit is reduced to 90 to prevent unwanted take offs. 

Edited by VocalNeal

26 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I agree, but for one simple fact, Thais are just not trained and experienced enough to drive at  higher speeds. It will work for most Farang drivers,  but all it will do here is increase the carnage on the roads.  Its a stupid idea, born of arrogance and a misplaced sense of  'doing the modern thing'.  If anything, they should be reduced limits not increasing them. 

Disagree with your last point as I know many superb Thai drivers and all of them have proper genuine Thai driving licenses and have thus passed their driving test to show at least a minimum level of safe driving competence. 

The crack down on those without valid driving licenses must be heavily implimented and policed ASAP with huge fines for having no license and even imprisonment for driving without ever having even passed a driving test.  Perhaps a valid auto toll device that is only given to all with a valid driving license and a massive offense with a driving ban for illegally using somebody else's such permit, and applied to the permit holder for allowing it to be misused. Whatever slowing down safe motorways is NOT the answer and is simply regressive.  There needs to be public motorway driving training videos aired on TV at peak viewing times and serious policing to catch license offenders is urgently needed to be applied. 

Perhaps you are right in so far as that a clamp down on licenses and training ought to be rapidly introduced first prior to raising the speed limit on safe motorways and major dual carriageways.   

55 minutes ago, rayw said:

The German autobahn has speed limits as well, just some parts are unlimited

More than half of the total length of the German autobahn network has no speed limit, about one third has a permanent limit, and the remaining parts have a temporary or conditional limit. Some cars with very powerful engines can reach speeds of well over 300 km/h (190 mph).

10 hours ago, pattjock said:

The faster you drive the less time you spend on the road the less accidents you have, makes perfect sense.

and the results are more likely to be deadly, thus saving on medical treatment costs and insurance premiums