Thai authorities between a rock and hard place over Songkran celebrations

webfact

REUTERS.jpg
REUTERS file photo

As Thailand prepares what to do about this year's Songkran celebrations officials find themselves between a rock and a hard place.

On the one hand many people - particularly the young - are keen to let their hair down after lockdown and especially as last year's traditional Thai New Year was cancelled during the first wave of the pandemic.

But others are fearful that fresh ground gained in the battle against Covid-19 after the second wave over the last several months may be all for nothing if Thais have too much freedom.

Especially if the Songkran celebration resembles anything like the water splashing free for all that the festival has become over the last few decades. 

Indeed many are comparing the Thai authorities' decisions with those faced by the governments in the US in November concerning Thanksgiving and the UK in December about Christmas.

Critics - especially those in the health industry - said that both countries were irresponsible in allowing travel and meeting up to take place resulting in unnecessary death and suffering. 

They thought the celebrations should have been cancelled and the governments should not have given in to the public wishing to celebrate.

Thailand - with a jittery public still wary of what to do next - is faced with similar dilemmas when it comes to the precise nature of Songkran this year.

Head of the National Security Council General Nattaphol Nakpanich epitomized this caution ahead of a CCSA sub-committee yesterday when he talked about the need for caution amid calls to get Songkran up and running again. 

Manager reported fears that water splashing at the event would result in clusters of infection. 

Final decisions will not be made until the main CCSA or Covid steering committee meets on March 19th.

Channel 7 suggested the likelihood was that Songkran 2021 would be a socially distanced event that, if water splashing were allowed, would be in wide open areas. 

Critics might ask whether this is workable. The up close and personal nature of water splashing, as well as the inevitability that people would be drinking and losing their inhibitions will have many nervous.

Reports have suggested that an event in Khao San Road will be limited to 5,000 people but that possibility, while enticing to some, may be tinged with dread and fear to others.

Thailand may go to their fall back position of only allowing traditional lustral water sprinkling and ceremonies to honor ancestors and the aged. 

Though whether they can dictate to the people on how to celebrate in smaller gatherings remains to be seen. 

Meanwhile, Channel 7 reported the latest vaccine news with 5-6000 jabs being delivered daily and 36,797 done so far, 3976 in Bangkok.

They reported that the highlight of today (Friday 12th) would be the Thai prime minister and members of his cabinet receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine in a show designed to inspire public confidence in the VAX rollout. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The culling festivals go ahead during a time when covid is still about. 

With 5000 a day jabs, it will likely be around for a very long time.

Meantime, ppl deserve a life worthy to live, not slow starving death at home, in fear, locked up bcos others so scared for their life.

The world's 7.8 billion, so far 2.63 million covid deaths.

In Thailand particular, more die on the road daily than wave 1 & 2 combined total over the last 13 months.

I get your point. But do you get mine too?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tingtong said:

With 5000 a day jabs, it will likely be around for a very long time.

Meantime, ppl deserve a life worthy to live, not slow starving death at home, in fear, locked up bcos others so scared for their life.

The world's 7.8 billion, so far 2.63 million covid deaths.

In Thailand particular, more die on the road daily than wave 1 & 2 combined total over the last 13 months.

I get your point. But do you get mine too?

I find it hard to get anyone's point here on TV these days, I guess there are now a lot younger people here and we don't see things the same way. 

I have 8 stalkers in the TV ignore facility I no doubt there will be many more to follow. ???? ???? ????

Edited by Kwasaki

8 hours ago, PatOngo said:

OMG! Decision, decisions! ????

It did not take them very long to decide on extending the Holiday to 6 Days

Of course money was the governing factor.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Head of the National Security Council General Nattaphol Nakpanich epitomized this caution ahead of a CCSA sub-committee yesterday when he talked about the need for caution amid calls to get Songkran up and running again. 

Profit or loss..... decisions decisions, what a dilemma !

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There will be a Songkran and nobody will take any notice of safety measures and restrictions and they know it.

The people are far more cautious currently. There has been a seismic shift in attitudes everywhere and Thailand is no different.