What Hill Tribes?

elgenon

Hi everyone. Not sure what forum this post should be in but I bought these headresses in Chiang Mai in the 80's. The Hill Tribe sellers could not speak English so I never knew what tribes they were from. I just thought they were amazing. Can anyone identify what tribes they are from or tell me who might be able to tell me? Also, any idea what they might be worth? Not that I am looking to sell them at the moment. Also wondering if some Thai institution (private, government or Hill Tribe) might consider them as something they would want to preserve for history. 

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, elgenon said:

Also, any idea what they might be worth? Not that I am looking to sell them at the moment. Also wondering if some Thai institution (private, government or Hill Tribe) might consider them as something they would want to preserve for history. 

Depending on who sold them, IMO only worth what you paid for them. Back then they might have made them in the village for sale to tourists, but those balls look like they have moulding marks on them ie made of plastic.

I always understood the real things have silver coins on them.

google images has pics of "akha tribal headware" showing them with silver coins.

Girlfriend is from an ethnic Karen hill tribe in Myanmar, and she says without a doubt 100% Akha, and worn by all members of the different clans.  Price wise she said they would go for between 20K Thb or 30K Thb depending on the colors and how intricate they are.  A full head dress, with neckwear and then the dress could go for around 45K Thb to 60K Thb if original and handmade. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Girlfriend is from an ethnic Karen hill tribe in Myanmar, and she says without a doubt 100% Akha, and worn by all members of the different clans.  Price wise she said they would go for between 20K Thb or 30K Thb depending on the colors and how intricate they are.  A full head dress, with neckwear and then the dress could go for around 45K Thb to 60K Thb if original and handmade. 

Iower prices quoted online usd 150-400 with silver

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Iower prices quoted online usd 150-400 with silver

New are priced higher than the old ones she says, as well as how intrinsic they are and how colorful.  The more accoutrements together are worth the most money, so a full set would be worth more. 

They are def Akha. I remember a shop had a couple that were loaded with silver coins from India, just loaded. I think the price at the time was 70,000 baht. This was probably about 10 years ago. Those metal balls, I used them many a time on bags and such. They can still be bought in the market. They are not silver but they're not plastic, either.

On 3/14/2021 at 10:53 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Depending on who sold them, IMO only worth what you paid for them. Back then they might have made them in the village for sale to tourists, but those balls look like they have moulding marks on them ie made of plastic.

I always understood the real things have silver coins on them.

google images has pics of "akha tribal headware" showing them with silver coins.

No plastic. Those are silver balls made from coins. Not made for tourists. Remember these were bought in the 80s. They have marks where the two coins were joined. The coins have markings.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 10:57 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Are all three Akha including the beaded one (third)? Thanks

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, elgenon said:

No plastic. Those are silver balls made from coins. Not made for tourists. Remember these were bought in the 80s. They have marks where the two coins were joined. The coins have markings.

I first visited LOS in the 70s and there was plenty of tourist junk souvenirs for sale back then- just not made in China.

Not saying the headware in the OP is junk. I'd take it to the national museum to be valued by an actual expert.

Akha, the Thais call them 'Eeekaw'' or something similar sounding.  A greeting is 'Akha eelay' sounding. A head dress with the silver board denotes a married woman. Not having the back board means not married.  The bamboo houses are raised and the men sleep on one side of a bamboo wall and the women and children on the other side. Normally two fire pits in the same house.  separate 'bungalows' for married couples to temporarily cohabitate in. Generally, open teenage sexual relations until a couple wants to settle down. There are benches near the village where the teenagers go at evening and sing to attract each other. When twins are born they will kill one as the 'spirit' is believed to be split. They like white coloured dogs and treat them special. Black dogs are usually eaten.  Of all the hill tribes the Akha are the most resistant to change and if staying in a traditional village you must be acutely aware of their traditions. We tried to remove a woman from the village we were staying in for a month who had a leg that appeared 'quite rotten'. Even though we had fixed many infections etc. and were accepted they would not let us take her to a Thai hospital as she contained the bad spirits and if she was fixed the spirits would take others from that village.....we left her there to die.   Back to the head dresses....the better ones had silver Indian rupee coins as adornments. Possibly, just unique to the group I knew a bit.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

"Eekaw"...Please don't use that term. It is pejorative and not appreciated by Akha people.

Shocking the Thais would use a pejorative term for a people they don't consider Thai but who live there.