Eight killed in Atlanta-area shooting rampage; suspect arrested

webfact

The suspect in the spa attacks has been charged with eight counts of murder

ACWORTH, Ga. — The man who police say went on a rampage at three spas in the Atlanta area, killing eight people, was charged on Wednesday with eight counts of murder in connection with the attacks.

The brazen shootings, which took the lives of six women of Asian descent, stirred considerable outrage and fear in the Asian-American community. Investigators said they had not ruled out bias as a motivating factor even as the suspect denied such racial animus once in custody.

The suspect told the police that he had a “sexual addiction” and had carried out the shootings at the massage parlors to eliminate his “temptation,” the authorities said on Wednesday. He also said that he had frequented massage parlors in the past and launched the attacks as a form of vengeance. All but one of the victims were women, the police said.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/17/us/shooting-atlanta-acworth#the-suspect-in-the-spa-attacks-has-been-charged-with-eight-counts-of-murder

• Like 1

Georgia sheriff's official under fire for remarks on spa shootings, anti-Asian Facebook post

"Place your order while they last," Capt. Jay Baker wrote above a photo of two T-shirts that said "Covid 19 IMPORTED VIRUS FROM CHY-NA."

A Georgia sheriff's spokesperson who came under fire Wednesday for statements he made about the suspect in the Atlanta-area spa shootings, which killed eight people, including six women of Asian descent, previously shared an anti-Asian post on Facebook.

At a news conference Wednesday, Capt. Jay Baker, a spokesman for the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office, said that Robert Aaron Long, who has been charged with eight counts of murder, "was pretty much fed up and kind of at the end of his rope" and that Tuesday "was a really bad day for him, and this is what he did."

The comments were criticized as inappropriate and insensitive to the victims.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-sheriff-s-official-under-fire-remarks-spa-shootings-anti-n1261359

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So what Christion church was this guy attending regularly? 

He had been very active at the Crabapple First Baptist Church in Milton, Georgia (Southern Baptist) but I don't know his recent attendance record. 

The online presence of that church is now blocked, presumably their action. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Some interesting background on his supposed self labeling as a sex addict. When I first heard that my immediate response was it sounds like religious mania. Whether there is really such a thing as sex addiction is debatable, but apparently it is generally not associated with violence. 

'Sex addiction’ cited by Atlanta shooting suspect is not an official diagnosis, doubted by some experts - The Washington Post

The Atlanta suspect isn’t the first to blame ‘sex addiction’ for heinous crimes. But scientists are dubious.

I hope the church and pastor that filled this guy's head full of nonsense like "temptation" are fully investigated.  If there is a case to be made for incitement of violence the people responsible should be charged and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Credo said:

I wonder how many strip joints he drove by to get to the massage parlor with Asian women?

Hmmm, should we go on a shooting rampage at a "massage" parlor full of defenseless young women or a strip club full of GIs and rednecks, that's a tough one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This was  previously posted and this is the final warning:

Continue referring to the victims as prostitutes or sex workers will earn a suspension unless/until there is a credible source for such information.  I somehow doubt the man who was reportedly shot was a sex worker.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pegman said:

Yeah, I know what you mean but it would be nice. The harm done by religions of all sorts is  immeasurable. 

Particularly when you are attempting to measure it against all they good they have done....

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Hmmm, should we go on a shooting rampage at a "massage" parlor full of defenseless young women or a strip club full of GIs and rednecks, that's a tough one. 

"defenseless young women" who just happened to be Asian?

And why do you think it makes sense to compare a massage parlor to a strip club?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, placeholder said:

"defenseless young women" who just happened to be Asian?

And why do you think it makes sense to compare a massage parlor to a strip club?

I did not make that comparison, that comparison was made by a SOMEONE claiming that had the perpetrator not been specifically targeting Asians, they would have stopped at one other many strip-clubs in Atlanta. 

I was merely pointing out how ridiculous the comparison was.

We good?

Edited by Yellowtail
correction

30 minutes ago, xylophone said:

It's pretty easy to see that the actions of this nut job and the posts here are split between those who deny that his actions have anything to do with the "right/Conservative" including those who use racism as a tool, versus those who support the recent government change and are not supporters of such practices.

I made a reference to it in a previous post about how this idiot looked similar to others of right-wing persuasion, using the word "cult" as a clue.

Race hate crimes, especially against those of Asian origins have been on the increase and IMO a lot of that was driven by the racist rhetoric prevalent throughout the period of the last administration.    

Yes, the left is blaming the right, the the right is blaming the perpetrator.

There is nothing new about the the rising crime rate against Asians, it's just not been widely reported as the reporting has previously not been useful to the left. 

The left claiming the right uses race as a tool, that's a good one. You get that form Vox? 

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Hate crimes against Asians have risen dramatically over the past year.  Calling the virus WuFlu, etc, made things worse. 

Do you have any data that supports that claim, and that support the ideal the it was because or Trump's rhetoric?

I don't mean an opinion piece, or conclusion drawn by  an "investigative" reporter, but some actual data?

In any event, once political groups start tracking "hate" crimes they have to go up. 

Should not ALL violent assault crimes be considered "hate" crimes or only those perpetuated by whites?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

So now as more information is coming out, it is apparent that the crimes were a result of the suspect's inability to deal with his sex addiction. 

At least that is what this scumbag piece of <deleted> wants the world to believe. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Huge blame on the Rep Party encouragement to their lawmakers to use that vile language.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-memo-republican-campaigns-to-attack-china-for-covid-19-2020-4

How does attacking China (a county) translate to hostility against Asians living in the US?

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2