Superpoll: Thais overwhelmingly say open the country to foreign tourism 

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The message was clear that people are fed up with violence and want to see economic stability return and the best way to do that was opening Thailand's doors again.

No. The best way to do that is to give the Thai people democracy. 

That is the only way forward now.

• Like 2

Like mentioned before, I think 95% on this forum does not work in Thailand so they don't give a sh....it that there are people who suffer.  (except for the exchange rate, maybe Thailand should start to tax their pensions ???? It is quite normal that polls change so does real live. If you run a business you have to adjust all the time according to the situation at that moment and your vision on the future. The only problem is that those depending on tourists can try whatever they want, nothing will change as long as they don't allow people in. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

Thailand shouldn't open up until dual pricing is stoped. Thai people have to pay and the punishment have to feel for them. Thai people now just want Thailand to open so they can scam more foreigners.

I is good that Thailand is closed so the economy is getting a big hit and also so that Thai people learns a lession not to scam foreigners. But, I think Thailand can be close at least another year so the impact and lession is hard and good enough. Right now, it's not enough yet.

PLease visit a doctor and get some pills, it may help.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Like mentioned before, I think 95% on this forum does not work in Thailand so they don't give a sh....it that there are people who suffer.  (except for the exchange rate, maybe Thailand should start to tax their pensions ???? It is quite normal that polls change so does real live. If you run a business you have to adjust all the time according to the situation at that moment and your vision on the future. The only problem is that those depending on tourists can try whatever they want, nothing will change as long as they don't allow people in. 

I agree with you.

And to look at how the world is changing now - China is perfectly happy not having their citizens travel and send vaccines elsewhere while not vaccinating their population.  It's worked so well they have started a campaign to ask people to get vaccinated as they are at risk yet again.  

Domestic tourism is still rampant in everyone's home countries, and people are very leery to travel.  Not to mention no country is saying that travel is safe, which has a tremendous impact on insurance and how much it costs.  

Tourism, as it were, is a large huge globe not some chubby man in the UK having a pint pining to come back to Thailand for three months.  

Make no mistake, it may take a long long while even after 2021 to lure people back.  Things change quickly though!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, A Los for words said:

I checked with my immigration and visa officer at work and she seems to think it's real. But that's why I said 'apparently'. It fits just about everything ????

A couple of weeks ago it was reported on Thaivisa that Anutin had said it would be happening. A week later reports of what he said changed tone with his intentions regarding quarantine being called 'plans' and what he 'favours'.

I think a lot of mistakes are made in the translation of these reports.

I won't be buying a ticket until I see it in writing and you can be your last dollar the Thai government will take at least a month to notify Embassies and Consulates.

Note: 1 April is only just over a week away and nothing official yet.

Edited by KhaoYai

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

we are keen to get to Thailand but as there are no planes from Perth then its a bit difficult ! Bet that wasn't mentioned in the biased poll !  When will Thai Airways start flying again ? Or will they get sold off ?

Yes Thai was the only airline who flew from Perth direct to BKK

1 minute ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Yes Thai was the only airline who flew from Perth direct to BKK

No Jetstar flights from Perth? I always used Jetstar for direct flights from Melbourne to Bangkok. Cheap, fast and comfortable since I always book an exit row seat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

a "Superpoll" survey conducted among 1,600 respondents from all backgrounds from 17th to 20th of March. 

Thats a truly amazing amount of people polled for it to be considered a "Super Poll".  I would hate to see what a regular poll entails.  These pollster who conduct such an awesome poll such as this one probably personally think that 90% of Thailand wants the country opened up to foreigners.  If it was truly the views of 1600 people, well they must have super powers and all be clairvoyant  Nuff said.

• Like 1

Since when did 1,600 people in a country of 70 million constitute a "superpoll"? It's not even statistically significant as a national indicator, and I'll bet that most of them are friends or family of Anutin and Pipat, or else own bars and hotels, lol. 

• Confused 1

Its the who you ask the question to 

If people are involved in the Tourist industry 

Hotels restaurants bars could go on 

They will say yes bring back the tourist 

If its someone working in the government exporting sector  schools  probably  would not be that interested

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chang1 said:

wonder what they were really asked eg. Do you agree all Thais should be vaccinated and then open up to tourists?

Yes!!

This is the major issue all the "open it up" folks here and those wanting to come seem clueless.  So, they start opening it to tourists w/o local vaccinations.  And down the road, a sizable local resident breakout occurs on let's say Phuket.  Or Pattaya or wherever.  They will have no choice but to shut things down possibly for an extended period.  So, all those happy tourists will be left with closures, possible domestic flights stopped and basically nothing to do.

So, good luck with all this.  Just seems desperation and some selfishness.  W/O mass local vaccinations I see a potential embarrassing national disaster waiting.  We will have to wait and see.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1