Alcohol ban in Thailand this weekend

rooster59

8 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

Depends on who buy you the drink.

Anyway, here in Thailand, upcountry folks prefer cash in hand. 

My beautiful Thai Lady is 40 years , younger than me .

The secret is to  learn speak Thai..

If , you want just short time ..

Lady Bar , can do ,  speak english , french , German .etc .

Indeed , Multi Lingual ..

5 hours ago, sherwood said:

Be a happy man when these speaker trucks stop spruking at full noise, 6am and 5pm every day for the past month. Lucky there is only two of them. 

Must be beer o'clock. Cheers

Only two? Round our way  have been 5 pickups, 1 of those mechanical buffalo things attached to a trailer, 1 motorcycle with  side  car............. all with sound systems  turned  up to distortion level and at  times up to three of them passing at the same time generating extremely audible gibberish !

But as a small compensation my wife has accepted  1400 Bht in total for contemplation of preference.

She has promised to buy me a bottle of  Irish on Monday ! ????

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

While the exact rules and penalties regarding the sale of alcohol this weekend may differ slightly from province to province, don’t expect your local bar to be serving booze until after the 6pm deadline has passed.

I'm sure my local mom & pop shop will oblige me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thechook said:

How is having a drink at a bar compared to having one at home going to effect a local election?

I was going to say in a bar they will get drunk and fight about politics, then I realized here its just as likely or more your neighbor/family member will come and shoot you, IE same as any day here.

21 hours ago, Thechook said:

How is having a drink at a bar compared to having one at home going to effect a local election?

If one is having a drink at home, a potential candidate or one of their aids cannot come in with a fist full of baht and start plying you and your mates with drinks. It's called 'vote buying' and is a very common practice in many 'pseudo' democracies throughout the world.

This is nothing more than a demonstration of the authorities understanding the way grassroots Thailand functions.

It's only one day. Learn to live with it. It's not that difficult.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

Hold on...where's the source for this info?

What's the reason for the ban?

As Thais can't drive, they can't be trusted to cast a proper vote after alcohol despite most people knowing most votes are bought and paid for in advance of the election.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

It's only one day. Learn to live with it. It's not that difficult.

If only we only had to suffer 'em campaigning pick-ups and their multi-megawatt sound systems pumping out endless canvassing garbage interspersed with the "dulcet" strains of lousy music with the volume and bass both turned up full for only one day! A tad difficult to have to live with that antisocial nonsense for weeks on end as has been the case in my neighbourhood IMHO!!

Edited by OJAS
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

No worries; Mom and Pop shop next door to the Election Office will sell you Booze any day of the year, ban or no ban !

And the opposite can happen. last year we went to a large restaurant at Ang Sila on the Sunday evening after 6pm. The restaurant were not selling alcohol all day, ban or no ban.

12 minutes ago, OJAS said:

If only we only had to suffer 'em campaigning pick-ups and their multi-megawatt sound systems pumping out endless canvassing garbage to the "dulcet" strains of lousy music with the volume and bass both turned up full for only one day! A tad difficult to have to live with that antisocial nonsense for weeks on end as has been the case in my neighbourhood IMHO!!

Job done.

ear plugs.jpg