Thailand targets 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2025

rooster59

AdobeStock_245393308-e1563465119214.jpeg

Thailand’s government has targeted 1 million electric vehicles on the roads by 2025 and 5 million by 2030.

The targets were outlined earlier this week by the National New Generation Vehicle Committee and are part of wider plans to help Thailand become the ‘Detroit of Asia’ for electric vehicle production. 

The targets for e-vehicle usage in Thailand over the next fifteen years are as follows:

2025: 1.05 million e-vehicles: 
402,000 cars and pickup trucks, 622,000 motorbikes, 31,000 buses and trucks.

2030: 5.41 million e-vehicles:

2.05 million cars and pickup trucks, 3.2 million motorbikes, 160,000 buses and trucks.

2035: 15.58 million e-vehicles:

6.4 million cars and pickup trucks, 8.75 million motorbikes, 430,000 buses and trucks.

To help reach the targets of e-vehicle ownership in Thailand, the government is set to make the county a hub for electric vehicle production.

By 2030, the government wants at least 50 percent of the e-vehicles on Thailand’s roads to have been produced locally, Manager reported. 

And by 2035, the government wants more than 18 million electric vehicles to be produced in the  country annually.

To help achieve its target, the government said it will continue to offer tax break incentives to both manufacturers and customers of electric vehicles. 

Exclusive parking zones will be set up for e-vehicles only and charging stations will be installed throughout the country.

Varying estimates put the amount of charging stations in Thailand at between 500 and 1,000, most of which are in Bangkok.

As well as using Google Maps, drivers of electric vehicles can search for the nearest  charging  stations on these websites:

https://www.eaanywhere.com/

https://na.chargepoint.com/charge_point

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-28

27 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

I tested an electric scooter in CM last year. Heavy, low range. Initial acceleration was good enough but it seemed to hit a brick wall about 50kph. Given the high fuel economy of scooters, electrification is neither a smart or logical move imo.

Scooters might not use much fuel, but they are not efficient.  That actually makes them prime candidates.

1 minute ago, ParkerN said:

Oh Dear God. Another hub in someone's mind.

1,000,000 elecrtic vehicles in a little less than 4 years - right.

Not enough production capacity - hence TL *will become* a hub for production of electric vehicles - not *already is...*

Somebody had another wet dream then....

Well... Tesla is slated to make 500k cars in Berlin within about 30 months of breaking ground, and 1 million would be in about 42-48 months.  They also seem to be interested in diversifying manufacturing for Asia beyond China.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I am skeptical as the next Farang that this in a line of many proposed hubs with million level targets will happen in the time frame projected however I am rooting for Thailand in this case because something must be done to stop the ridiculous PM 2.5 air pollution levels. EVs would not solve the problem but it would at least put a significant dent in it.

Electrifying the farmers  would  help way  more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Well they have a motor......

Yes, you’re right. I somehow don’t see an electric motor as a motor. More of a whiny thing.  But that’s just me. Lol. 

Consider that Toyota has cautioned against countries diving into electric vehicles too fast.

Looks like a win for China—they make the most batteries for e-cars.

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

That's 1 million silent killers, … you will have to continually rotate your head when walking anywhere.

And invisible in the dark if my experiences in China are anything to go by.  Turn off the lights to save battery!

5 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Oh Dear God. Another hub in someone's mind.

1,000,000 elecrtic vehicles in a little less than 4 years - right.

Not enough production capacity - hence TL *will become* a hub for production of electric vehicles - not *already is...*

Somebody had another wet dream then....

And just how many charging stations? And how long do you have to wait for a charge? And how long will the line be? And how much will it cost? Simple little questions, what's wrong with gas? Not green enough, as I am looking out my window and see air pollution all around me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Yes, you’re right. I somehow don’t see an electric motor as a motor. More of a whiny thing.  But that’s just me. Lol. 

Well having greatly enjoyed a KH250 then a GT750 in my youth I almost feel the same way about four-strokes!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metapod said:

are they going to tax electric vehicles like they do cars? they should remove the tax and get a <deleted> load of tesla's over here. would love a tesla or cybertruck over in thailand

Better to wait for the Chinese ones.

They might MAKE one million electric vehicles, but can they sell them in Thailand? Overpriced, practically no charging stations and doubtful that the power distribution network could cope.

However, electric bikes should be promoted and could probably be charged on a normal domestic power supply.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, natway09 said:

And the source of the charging ? Coal or gas still in Thailand for many years

Just moving the pollution from here to there,,,waste of time & money

In NZ it makes sense with hydro or geothetmal power sources

Correct. Electric cars still pollute—most people forget or ignor that.