Thailand 'gravely troubled' by Myanmar killings, urges end to violence

snoop1130

df.jpg

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand’s foreign ministry on Thursday said it was “gravely troubled” by casualties during weekend unrest in Myanmar and called for utmost restraint and an end to the violence.

In some of the strongest comments yet by Myanmar’s neighbour, foreign ministry spokesman Tanee Sangrat told a news conference Thailand called for a de-escalation of the situation, an end to violence and the further release of detainees. It was working with Southeast Asian countries for a peaceful solution, he added.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-04-01

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Just a face saving statement. What they're really worried about is an influx of refugees and having to look after them

The opinion i was about to express

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So open the borders and let the political refugees in.  Grant them amnesty and allow them residency as many will never go back until the Khmer Rouge,  I mean Junta of Myanmar gives back the democracy to the people and stops the atrocities.

Your right! We don't need another ground zero in our area.

If this turns into a full scale Civil war on the border as well within the entire country, the economic disaster will also drag down Thailand.  Reminds me of the start to the Vietnam issues with the French.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Just a face saving statement. What they're really worried about is an influx of refugees and having to look after them

Agreed. That and some already negative coverage internationally about refugees being forcibly turned away at the border. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes,

And all without the help and expertise of any NGO that are barred from entering the Thai Border Zones.

What dont they want these NGO to witness and report on.

If there is nothing untoward, then let them help these poor Folk from Myanmar.

Thailand sure is not winning any friends over the attitude they have taken thus far in providing some shelter and humanitarian aid for those most in need.

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

of course Thailand want no refugees in its country. Do Thailand really think that anyone will listen??

Thailand does the same with its protestors.. they only don't shoot them , but put them in jail with fake charges.. First Thailand solve your own problem and then talk to others..

i seem to remember that a few years ago the Thai navy would intercept Myanmar refugee boats and and tow them back out to sea.

18 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

of course Thailand want no refugees in its country. Do Thailand really think that anyone will listen??

Thailand does the same with its protestors.. they only don't shoot them , but put them in jail with fake charges.. First Thailand solve your own problem and then talk to others..

Edited by malibukid
double post

6 hours ago, malibukid said:

i seem to remember that a few years ago the Thai navy would intercept Myanmar refugee boats and and tow them back out to sea.

I thought they took them ashore and sold them to Malaysian businesses...