Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Observation I have not yet seen shared here. When leaving Thailand for the first time with the shiny new passport, I got stopped by immigration since I still popped up in their system with my old nationality passport and travel history. 

Turned out this might happen the first time. All it took was five minutes of explaining. Returning to Thailand then just fine. 

A friend who also recently got Thai ID was stuck for 30 minutes when leaving for the first time at Swampy. He had to produce the Royal Gazette edition ???? with his name. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

Observation I have not yet seen shared here. When leaving Thailand for the first time with the shiny new passport, I got stopped by immigration since I still popped up in their system with my old nationality passport and travel history. 

Turned out this might happen the first time. All it took was five minutes of explaining. Returning to Thailand then just fine. 

A friend who also recently got Thai ID was stuck for 30 minutes when leaving for the first time at Swampy. He had to produce the Royal Gazette edition ???? with his name. 

They stopped me the 1st time out and wanted to look at my other passport.  Took me to another desk updated the system and i was on my way. This was in November when the airport was slow.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

They stopped me the 1st time out and wanted to look at my other passport.  Took me to another desk updated the system and i was on my way. This was in November when the airport was slow.

They scanned my other passport, let them have it. Still impressive though that all involved authorities have no clue what the others do. One would assume that once you’re in the system you’re in the system. 

1 hour ago, heiri007 said:

Interesting that new citizens have been experiencing this hassle.  It didn't happen to me and this is the first time I have heard of it.  However, I think I exited the country the first time through the electronic gates.  Did those who got stopped with new Thai passports cancel their visas?

Is there any sign of electronic gates being brought back into service?  As tourism picks up, I imagine they will be under pressure to operate them. If they have them, I can't imagine why they haven't been using them, even with a reduced flow of travellers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Interesting that new citizens have been experiencing this hassle.  It didn't happen to me and this is the first time I have heard of it.  However, I think I exited the country the first time through the electronic gates.  Did those who got stopped with new Thai passports cancel their visas?

Is there any sign of electronic gates being brought back into service?  As tourism picks up, I imagine they will be under pressure to operate them. If they have them, I can't imagine why they haven't been using them, even with a reduced flow of travellers.

Didn't happen to me either and it is news to me. 

2 hours ago, yankee99 said:

They scanned my other passport, let them have it. Still impressive though that all involved authorities have no clue what the others do. One would assume that once you’re in the system you’re in the system. 

41 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Had my PR cancelled properly. The still not reintroduced electronic gates might be the culprit since immigration staff see your old identity pop up. 

The  officer at the counter looked at me with big eyes and asked whether I’m a luk krueng ????

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

my visa was canceled at Jomtien immigration and immigration wrote a story that took 1/2 a passport page. It really wasn't a bother airport immigration were very polite and professional. 

3 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Had he cancelled his visa?

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Had he cancelled his visa?

He did everything strictly by the book. Swampy immigration however claimed last time he entered the country as a someone with his original "former" nationality. That seemed to overrule his new citizenship. He says the officla had limited experience with these types of cases, and actually they used his case to train her staff. As said he was held up for a good half an hour.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Arkady said:

I got my Thai citizenship in March 2016. I then cancelled my extension of stay based on employment at the local Immigration office. I also applied for a Thai passport but until last week never went abroad. In April 2022 I got my new passport as the previous one had expired. Went through Immigration at Suvarnbhumi on 26 April 2022. Face recognition and scanned the fingers of both hands and both thumbs. Got my departure stamp. No problems at all. Arrived back in Thailand on 4 May 2022. At Immigration did the face recognition and scanned only the fingers of the right hand. Got my arrival stamp. No problems at all.

Edited by aidenai

First time I traveled out of the country last year, I didn't have any issues on my Thai passport.   I don't know if it is because I have and ABTC card which allows me to go through VIP immigration lanes?? I have never been asked for my foreign passport once since cancelling my Thai visa when I got my Thai ID.  2nd time I traveled out of the country, of course, also no problems.

22 minutes ago, khongaeng said:

I have never been asked for my foreign passport once since cancelling my Thai visa when I got my Thai ID.  2nd time I traveled out of the country, of course, also no problems.

It even can be dangerous showing your foreign passport as Thai citizenship applicants who applied after 2009 gave their intention of renouncing their foreign nationality when obtaining the Thai nationality.

Someone who recently travelled in and out of Swampy with a brand new 10 year Thai passport told me the e-gates were working on his way back but an IO told him they are not yet usable with 10 year passports which sounds incredibly inefficient, since the 10 year passports have been in issue for some time now.  I recall there was a rumpus with Big Joke alleging there was a lot of corruption in procuring the new e-gates system. So perhaps not surprising, if corners were cut. Someone else, however, claimed he was able to pass the e-gates with a 10 year Thai passport.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:12 PM, DrJoy said:

Its half price for elderly (60 +) Thai nationality only, conditions here -

Half price reduction for persons at the Railway Booking Counters, fare reduction  by 50 percent (excluding fees) including-

1. Children who are taller than 100 cm. but not more than 150 cm.

2. Monks and novices in Buddhism. or saints in Islam and Christianity
(according to the regulations of the Railway (specify qualifications)

3. Soldiers in uniform and those who receive medals NESDB, Ror. Sor., Victory, Worn., Sor
., Sor., Kor. ., Royal Thai Police, MSD

5. Elderly people (60 years and over) Thai nationality exercise their rights between 01 June - 30 September of every year

6. Village health volunteers (Vol.) by reducing the fare. Only 3rd floor, ordinary seats, give 20% between 01 June - 30 September of every year.

The discount is not available for online booking

Thanks. So for four months I can get 50% off the ticket price.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 1:37 PM, heiri007 said:

Well worth knowing, thanks. Could this be because they had not cancelled their visa?

Update: Never mind. Asked and answered.

Edited by qualtrough

9 hours ago, Arkady said:

Someone who recently travelled in and out of Swampy with a brand new 10 year Thai passport told me the e-gates were working on his way back but an IO told him they are not yet usable with 10 year passports which sounds incredibly inefficient, since the 10 year passports have been in issue for some time now.  I recall there was a rumpus with Big Joke alleging there was a lot of corruption in procuring the new e-gates system. So perhaps not surprising, if corners were cut. Someone else, however, claimed he was able to pass the e-gates with a 10 year Thai passport.

Just came back with a 10-year passport - no electronic gates, an official separates foreigners from Thais to their respective immigration officials.

9 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Just came back with a 10-year passport - no electronic gates, an official separates foreigners from Thais to their respective immigration officials.

Seems they still have some way to go to get the electronic working for anyone, apart from perhaps an odd day here and there. The second gen system was a massive investment including the alleged graft. It is a shocking waste of taxpayer money to just leave it idle depreciating all the while. By the time they get it up and running consistently, if they ever do, it will probably be obselete and ready for a new corrupt tender to replace it like the notorious airport explosive scanners that never really worked properly and were replaced after a couple of years trying to use them.  

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Sad 1

On 4/10/2022 at 11:45 AM, gettingby said:

I am an American long time resident in Thailand with with PR for more than 5 years already and looking to apply for Thai citizenship.  I believe I have all qualifications requirements for tax, language, references, etc covered and can complete the paperwork/intervies; however I am still unclear on the requirements for providing evidence of renouncing  my usa citizenship.  Is that still a requirement?  and if so how to go about that.  Especially as the USA embassy post covid has become very difficult/cumbersome to get appointments/docs/certifications/notarization/etc from.  

Anyone with recent experience on how to get through this?  I contacted SB several years ago and was told I was more than  qualified but then I got hung up trying to figure out what I needed to show (from an uninterested and unfriendly embassy) my intent to revoke, and pretty much gave up in frustration - and then covid hit.  ready to try again.  any advice much appreciated.

So I just did this in June of last year. Like another poster said, SB gave me an embassy letter that another US applicant got from the embassy in Bangkok. I took that to the consulate and Chiang Mai and they basically duplicated it. The letter said something like "The US embassy cannot speak to the intentions of its citizens and therefore cannot issue a letter saying Mr. XXX intends to renounce his citizenship". I am paraphrasing, but that is the gist of it. The SB in Bangkok would not accept me simply saying that the US consulate won't issue such a letter. They insisted on me getting a letter from the consulate/embassy. The consulate didn't charge me for the letter either. I was shocked. Of course they charged me for ther verified passport copy though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ecline said:

So I just did this in June of last year. Like another poster said, SB gave me an embassy letter that another US applicant got from the embassy in Bangkok. I took that to the consulate and Chiang Mai and they basically duplicated it. The letter said something like "The US embassy cannot speak to the intentions of its citizens and therefore cannot issue a letter saying Mr. XXX intends to renounce his citizenship". I am paraphrasing, but that is the gist of it. The SB in Bangkok would not accept me simply saying that the US consulate won't issue such a letter. They insisted on me getting a letter from the consulate/embassy. The consulate didn't charge me for the letter either. I was shocked. Of course they charged me for ther verified passport copy though.

Tomorrow I'll go to the same process at BKK embassy. For the verified passport copy, do they copy the original passport themselves and verify it? Or they verify the copy which comes with santiban letter addressed to them?

4 hours ago, sas_cars said:

Tomorrow I'll go to the same process at BKK embassy. For the verified passport copy, do they copy the original passport themselves and verify it? Or they verify the copy which comes with santiban letter addressed to them?

In my experience embassies and other notaries usually feel the need to make the copy themselves in order to verify it is a true copy.

I recently went to Bangkok Patana School in Bangkok to enquire about schooling for my child.  BPS is exceptional amongst international schools in maintaining a strict 20% quota for Thai nationals, which makes it hard for pure Thais to get in and applications for Thai nationals are in fact already closed for August 2022.  However, a large proportion of the foreign students are actually Thai look krung. 

You can imagine my shock at being told that my look krung child would be considered Thai because both parents are Thai citizens.  With unfathomable logic they are prepared to accept kids who are dual nationals but only if they don't have a dual national parent.  I was told they would actually rummage through a parent's foreign passport to check there was a Thai visa in it. Since the Thai quota is the school's own policy, not imposed by the government, the thing about checking for visas must be their own idea too. They claim the quota is to preserve the international character of the school which is all well and good but I fail to see how my son will be less international because I decided to take Thai nationality than he would have been, if I hadn't.

We have come to accept discrimination of the "Thai mai por" type but this reverse "farang mai por" discrimination imposed by farang educators who are supposed to be enlightened thinkers inspiring our kids with their keen intellects has significantly curbed my enthusiasm for handing large amounts of hard earned cash to them.  But this seems consistent with stories that have appeared in this thread of naturalised farangs who get salaries reduced at international schools or even get job offers cancelled when it is found there is no is Thai visa in a foreign passport.  It seems to me that it would make more sense to say no dual national kids, rather than no dual kids with dual parents, but this would make this type of quota unviable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, sas_cars said:

They made their own copy. I didn't even need the sealed santiban letters except for the fact that the one requesting a letter declaring my intent to renounce my citizenship had my case number on it.

17 hours ago, Arkady said:

I recently went to Bangkok Patana School in Bangkok to enquire about schooling for my child.  BPS is exceptional amongst international schools in maintaining a strict 20% quota for Thai nationals, which makes it hard for pure Thais to get in and applications for Thai nationals are in fact already closed for August 2022.  However, a large proportion of the foreign students are actually Thai look krung. 

You can imagine my shock at being told that my look krung child would be considered Thai because both parents are Thai citizens.  With unfathomable logic they are prepared to accept kids who are dual nationals but only if they don't have a dual national parent.  I was told they would actually rummage through a parent's foreign passport to check there was a Thai visa in it. Since the Thai quota is the school's own policy, not imposed by the government, the thing about checking for visas must be their own idea too. They claim the quota is to preserve the international character of the school which is all well and good but I fail to see how my son will be less international because I decided to take Thai nationality than he would have been, if I hadn't.

We have come to accept discrimination of the "Thai mai por" type but this reverse "farang mai por" discrimination imposed by farang educators who are supposed to be enlightened thinkers inspiring our kids with their keen intellects has significantly curbed my enthusiasm for handing large amounts of hard earned cash to them.  But this seems consistent with stories that have appeared in this thread of naturalised farangs who get salaries reduced at international schools or even get job offers cancelled when it is found there is no is Thai visa in a foreign passport.  It seems to me that it would make more sense to say no dual national kids, rather than no dual kids with dual parents, but this would make this type of quota unviable.

This school is way better than BPS -

https://www.eis.ac.th/

• Confused 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, Arkady said:

You can imagine my shock at being told that my look krung child would be considered Thai because both parents are Thai citizens. 

The problem with rules, regulations and laws in Thailand is that there are only 2 options in regards to nationality.

a) You are a Thai national

b) You are a foreign national

There are no options such as

c) You are a naturalized Thai national

You could try to convice the school that you were a foreign national in the past with showing your naturalization papers. It will be to their descretion to accept this.

40 minutes ago, aidenai said:

The problem with rules, regulations and laws in Thailand is that there are only 2 options in regards to nationality.

There are no options such as

c) You are a naturalized Thai national

You could try to convice the school that you were a foreign national in the past with showing your naturalization papers. It will be to their descretion to accept this.

We mean we cannot keep the cake and eat it too? How disappointing... 

22 hours ago, DrJoy said:

This school is way better than BPS -

https://www.eis.ac.th/

It may be better, but to some parents the name of the school is (more) important than what you may consider better, as it is for universities that children apply for. Think of your wife going to a fashion show and all other mum's are taking about BPS and then she is asked why she is quiet. Face. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, aidenai said:

This generally true but in this case the school relies on Thai students who have another passport to make up the majority of its 80% foreign quota of the student body. So it is a bit hypocritical. If they applied the same principle to students that they do to parents, their much vaunted 80% foreign ratio would probably be less than 50% and more comparable to their competitors.

• Haha 1