Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

25 minutes ago, Marcati said:

SB, NIA and the Police had it for two years and now MOI has had it for 1 year.  Everything seems to be backed up because of COVID.

My wife previously called MOI and all they said was wait..........

I strongly advice you to visit MOI and check if all documents are okay.

Even SB makes mistake sometimes as @Arkady mentioned in his previous posts

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/19/2022 at 11:34 AM, Arkady said:

But the timing seems strange: MOI interview after a year, then saying it might take 3 years after that. After MOI interview there is nothing to be done but forward the recommendations to the big committee which usually meets a couple of months later to rubber stamp the recommendations which are then sent to the minister for signature.  If the little committee interview is delegated to CM, the CM recommendations should go straight to the big committee, not hang around in the MOI for years.

I think 3 years is because of the backup with covid.  It'll probably still take that long or more just to clear up the people ahead of me.  Since I already have permanent residence there's no urgent need on my part for citizenship.  But it makes you wonder what they do during that time that takes so long.

On 2/15/2022 at 12:09 PM, david143 said:

Its Meeting mint/suggestion
Waiting RG which will wait another few months or may be year to implement

When I talked to my SB officer about this he said that even if it changed over to the control of MOI he didn't see the language requirements changing.  I would apply soon anyways.

On 2/19/2022 at 11:34 AM, Arkady said:

If the little committee interview is delegated to CM, the CM recommendations should go straight to the big committee, not hang around in the MOI for years.

The SB officer did say that it would take the committee in Chiang Mai about 1 month to come to a decision at which time I would know the result and then it would be sent to Bangkok to be put in some kind of que.

I think the 3 years is the total time since application and for the documents to come back to SB for the swearing ceremony.

20 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

The SB officer did say that it would take the committee in Chiang Mai about 1 month to come to a decision at which time I would know the result and then it would be sent to Bangkok to be put in some kind of que.

I think the 3 years is the total time since application and for the documents to come back to SB for the swearing ceremony.

James you're a provincial candidate? maybe thats the cause of delay.

My friend applied for it in Bkk around april 2018 in dec 2021 he was Thai, so its a tad over 3 yrs

22 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

James you're a provincial candidate? maybe thats the cause of delay.

My friend applied for it in Bkk around april 2018 in dec 2021 he was Thai, so its a tad over 3 yrs

Yes I think the process and the provinces is a little bit more complicated with more steps but it could just be because of covid because I only applied less than a year ago. The three years is somebody ahead of me in Chiang Mai

2 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

Yes I think the process and the provinces is a little bit more complicated with more steps but it could just be because of covid because I only applied less than a year ago. The three years is somebody ahead of me in Chiang Mai

Potential applicants need to bear in mind that CM, Phuket, Chonburi and maybe one or two others are the exceptions amongst provinces outside Bangkok. The vast majority of provincial Special Branch offices either point blank refuse to accept applications, claim it is not their job or go through the motions but in the end are incapable of doing anything for applicants other than drop subtle hints about backsheesh. Perhaps this will change, if the MOI really manages to wrest the processing away from Special Branch as suggested by the recent cabinet resolution.  However, since nothing ever gets easier with citizenship or PR, I somehow suspect that axing SB from the equation will not be in the interests of applicants, if it ever happens.

10 hours ago, Arkady said:

Potential applicants need to bear in mind that CM, Phuket, Chonburi and maybe one or two others are the exceptions amongst provinces outside Bangkok. The vast majority of provincial Special Branch offices either point blank refuse to accept applications, claim it is not their job or go through the motions but in the end are incapable of doing anything for applicants other than drop subtle hints about backsheesh. Perhaps this will change, if the MOI really manages to wrest the processing away from Special Branch as suggested by the recent cabinet resolution.  However, since nothing ever gets easier with citizenship or PR, I somehow suspect that axing SB from the equation will not be in the interests of applicants, if it ever happens.

That's almost exactly what my SB officer said, that he had had a lot of inquiries from other provinces but they were unable to proceed because they didn't know the process.  Or couldn't be bothered with all the steps.  If anybody in Chiang Mai is interested in applying for citizenship I would urge them to apply soon because he'll be retiring in a couple years.

Who knows the enthusiasm or capabilities of the next person.

It also has been my experience that if administration changes from guys in the special branch police, which it is now to the moi which will be mostly women, things will be much more difficult because women tend to be very careful, picky and scrutinize everything.  Just like in the old days when immigration was mostly guys and it was very easy to get extensions etc now that it has changed to mostly women the process has generally become more complicated and detailed. With very little flexibility.

2 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

That's almost exactly what my SB officer said, that he had had a lot of inquiries from other provinces but they were unable to proceed because they didn't know the process.  Or couldn't be bothered with all the steps.  If anybody in Chiang Mai is interested in applying for citizenship I would urge them to apply soon because he'll be retiring in a couple years.

Who knows the enthusiasm or capabilities of the next person.

It also has been my experience that if administration changes from guys in the special branch police, which it is now to the moi which will be mostly women, things will be much more difficult because women tend to be very careful, picky and scrutinize everything.  Just like in the old days when immigration was mostly guys and it was very easy to get extensions etc now that it has changed to mostly women the process has generally become more complicated and detailed. With very little flexibility.

You may be right about the greater pernickity attention to detail paid by women. There were certainly mainly women at the MOI when I applied, including the head of the nationality section. But the impetus behind the cabinet resolution is part of the long running power play by the MOI to take more functions away from the police that has been going on ever since the police force was taken out of the MOI and put under the PM's office.  Mostly its about money as well as power, as the MOI resents the police having any functions seen as revenue generators. 

Hi guys, 

Just wanted to share my timeline so far.

October 2018 submitted documents to SB in Bangkok and had various interviews with police and the other agency within 1 or 2 months from that time. All fairly standard in line with other poster's experiences. Much paperwork and lengthy interviews but otherwise easy going and friendly all around. Was told that this would pass for sure.

End of March 2019 my application was formally submitted from SB to MOI and I am waiting since then with no update whatsoever. Called SB twice and was told to just wait.

Would be nice to hear if somebody submitted later and already went to MOI interview or even received the citizenship?

Thanks

Collins

P.S. background is Thai wife and working here 10 years+

30 minutes ago, CollinsBKK said:

Hi guys, 

October 2018 submitted documents to SB in Bangkok and had various interviews with police and the other agency within 1 or 2 months from that time. All fairly standard in line with other poster's experiences. Much paperwork and lengthy interviews but otherwise easy going and friendly all around. Was told that this would pass for sure.

End of March 2019 my application was formally submitted from SB to MOI and I am waiting since then with no update whatsoever. Called SB twice and was told to just wait.

Would be nice to hear if somebody submitted later and already went to MOI interview or even received the citizenship?

Thanks

Collins

I would get up with moi something doesn't seem right. i submitted March 2018 7 months before you and  already have my id card. 

31 minutes ago, CollinsBKK said:

Hi guys, 

Thanks

Collins

wow why its too late.
My Timeline
March 2018 Submit Doc
April 2018 IB interview
August 2018 Documents sent to MOI
December 2019 Interview in MOI
August 2020 Take OATH
RG 2021 August ( RG was late due to 3rd Wave)
SEP 2021 ID was in HAND

Thanks for sharing your infos, that's in line with what I read so far that's why I am starting to worry.

Question is here anybody where SB submitted application to MOI end of March 2019 or later who already had the MOI interview?

Apparently the batch before is long through the whole process but not sure about those after.

Any tips on how/where to contact to MOI directly to follow up?

Br/Collins

56 minutes ago, CollinsBKK said:

Thanks for sharing your infos, that's in line with what I read so far that's why I am starting to worry.

Question is here anybody where SB submitted application to MOI end of March 2019 or later who already had the MOI interview?

Apparently the batch before is long through the whole process but not sure about those after.

Any tips on how/where to contact to MOI directly to follow up?

Br/Collins

Department of Provincial Administration, 59 Moo 11, Bueng Thong Lang Subdistrict, Lam LukKa District,

Pathum Thani Province 12150

Tel. 02-791-7142, 02-791-7332

On 2/21/2022 at 7:02 PM, DrJoy said:

I strongly advice you to visit MOI and check if all documents are okay.

Even SB makes mistake sometimes as @Arkady mentioned in his previous posts

I went down to the MOI to check progress and the woman I spoke with was very helpful. She found my file and then went through it just to make sure everything was in order. She then told me it would not be too much longer, and it wasn't. Can't hurt.

1 hour ago, qualtrough said:

I went down to the MOI to check progress and the woman I spoke with was very helpful. She found my file and then went through it just to make sure everything was in order. She then told me it would not be too much longer, and it wasn't. Can't hurt.

Glad to hear they are amenable to people following up at Lamlukka in person these days. When I went to the old office to follow up on my application I was made to wait for a long time with a bunch of minorities and their kids who were all being talked down to as if they were retarded children by the staff but they were answering back and taking the mickey out of the staff in return - a bit of an eye opener. I was then subjected to a hostile reception from a male staffer who at first said I shouldn't have come and should just follow up with SB, which I had obviously been doing without avail.  Then he went away and produced my file and venomously tried to claim I was unqualified because my alien book was less than 5 years old. I politely pointed out that the book had been issued 16 years earlier and that the date he was looking at was merely the most recent 5 year endorsement.  I stood my ground and was eventually shown into the section head's office. After echoing the sentiment that I should have just followed up with SB and a brief rant about the police, she calmed down and became as nice as pie and sorted out my problem too.  I met her again twice: when she asked me to come to produce my previous WP and later in the MOI interview where she sat closest to me and was extremely pleasant. It was good to know who was the head of the section in the interview. She led the interview process and asked the majority of the questions. 

I was glad I went to the MOI, in spite of the initial hostile reception. I don't think it can ever do you any harm, if you are in doubt about what's happening with your application and SB can't help.  The worst that can happen is that you waste half a day and some petrol.  I had previously called them several times and was always fobbed  off with the vague response that my application was in process and didn't know, if they had even looked at the file or not.

14 hours ago, Arkady said:

Glad to hear they are amenable to people following up at Lamlukka in person these days. When I went to the old office to follow up on my application I was made to wait for a long time with a bunch of minorities and their kids who were all being talked down to as if they were retarded children by the staff but they were answering back and taking the mickey out of the staff in return - a bit of an eye opener. I was then subjected to a hostile reception from a male staffer who at first said I shouldn't have come and should just follow up with SB, which I had obviously been doing without avail.  Then he went away and produced my file and venomously tried to claim I was unqualified because my alien book was less than 5 years old. I politely pointed out that the book had been issued 16 years earlier and that the date he was looking at was merely the most recent 5 year endorsement.  I stood my ground and was eventually shown into the section head's office. After echoing the sentiment that I should have just followed up with SB and a brief rant about the police, she calmed down and became as nice as pie and sorted out my problem too.  I met her again twice: when she asked me to come to produce my previous WP and later in the MOI interview where she sat closest to me and was extremely pleasant. It was good to know who was the head of the section in the interview. She led the interview process and asked the majority of the questions. 

I was glad I went to the MOI, in spite of the initial hostile reception. I don't think it can ever do you any harm, if you are in doubt about what's happening with your application and SB can't help.  The worst that can happen is that you waste half a day and some petrol.  I had previously called them several times and was always fobbed  off with the vague response that my application was in process and didn't know, if they had even looked at the file or not.

I've got a story to tell on that place. When I get back from holiday I'll give the details. Don't like typing out long messages on my phone. But definitely like you, a mixed experience with the MOI near Sanam Luang. 

I am wondering if any naturalised Thais here have any recent experience applying for visas to farang countries in their Thai passports.  I have a friend who got his Thai nationality over 20 years ago and always used to get US and European visas (now Schengen) for trips. He also had a UK COE in his Thai passport which used to be of permanent validity and could be transferred to new passports free of charge but the UK stopped issuing COEs in 2007 and annulled all the existing ones when the passports they were in expired.  UK visas are very expensive, over GBP 700 for a 10 year visa and UK passport holders are ineligible.  Schengen visas are only available for a specific trip but Switzerland offers or used to offer a special service providing visas in other passports of Swiss citizens and I think Australia has something similar. US visas are good value, if you can get one but US citizens ineligible.  A 10 year multiple US visa is only $160 but the wait list for appointments in Bangkok is currently about 8 months, even though the State Dept website misleadingly says it's only 41 days. No idea about Australian, Canadian or other visas. I once got an Aussie visa for the missus and it was a PITA and I don't think they offered more than a specific trip visa like Schengen. 

32 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I've got a story to tell on that place. When I get back from holiday I'll give the details. Don't like typing out long messages on my phone. But definitely like you, a mixed experience with the MOI near Sanam Luang. 

I have never been to Lamlukka but the old department in the MOI HQ in Asadang Road was in a rather dilapidated wing tacked on to the side of the main building in an architectural style completely out of keeping with the original building and musty smelling with nowhere to park a car anywhere nearby.  Security at the MOI HQ was, like National Police HQ, almost non-existent.  Anyone could walk in, show ID which was not recorded, say they were applying for citizenship and be allowed in with no check list of candidates or call to the department for clearance.

19 hours ago, Arkady said:

I am wondering if any naturalised Thais here have any recent experience applying for visas to farang countries in their Thai passports.  I have a friend who got his Thai nationality over 20 years ago and always used to get US and European visas (now Schengen) for trips. He also had a UK COE in his Thai passport which used to be of permanent validity and could be transferred to new passports free of charge but the UK stopped issuing COEs in 2007 and annulled all the existing ones when the passports they were in expired.  UK visas are very expensive, over GBP 700 for a 10 year visa and UK passport holders are ineligible.  Schengen visas are only available for a specific trip but Switzerland offers or used to offer a special service providing visas in other passports of Swiss citizens and I think Australia has something similar. US visas are good value, if you can get one but US citizens ineligible.  A 10 year multiple US visa is only $160 but the wait list for appointments in Bangkok is currently about 8 months, even though the State Dept website misleadingly says it's only 41 days. No idea about Australian, Canadian or other visas. I once got an Aussie visa for the missus and it was a PITA and I don't think they offered more than a specific trip visa like Schengen. 

With your examples of the UK and other countries, why would anybody apply for a visa for that country if they are also a holder of a passport of the same country?

20 hours ago, Arkady said:

Fortunately my ABTC (APEC Business Traveler Card) card with my Thai passport gets me into most of the countries I need to go to including Australia, New Zealand and Mexico.  Unfortunately it does not give a visa to the US and Canada.  If you qualify through your company, this is definitely the easiest way to get a visa for most countries that touch the Pacific Ocean.  

Here are some pictures of the MOI meeting today in Chiang Mai. There were only three other westerners besides myself, a Canadian and two Austrians.  The other foreigners were most likely wives of thai men.

The interview was very brief probably under 3 minutes only asking the most basic questions like what is your name how long have you been in Thailand and to sing the anthems.

The three persons in front of me got rejected because they couldn't sing the national and royal anthems.

I think I sang it correctly but I was so nervous that I sang wildly out of pitch but still people clapped afterwards.  I was told that after this there are no more interviews and just wait for the process to finish.

IMG_20220224_125929.jpg

IMG_20220224_151009.jpg

1 minute ago, THAIJAMES said:

Here are some pictures of the MOI meeting today in Chiang Mai. There were only other three westerners besides myself a Canadian and two austrians.  The other foreigners were most likely wives of thai men.

The interview was very brief probably under 3 minutes only asking the most basic questions like what is your name how long have you been in Thailand and to sing the anthems.

The three persons in front of me got rejected because they couldn't sing the national and royal anthems.

I think I sang it correctly but I was so nervous that I sang wildly out of pitch but still people clapped afterwards.  I was told that after this there are no more interviews and just wait for the process to finish.

IMG_20220224_125929.jpg

IMG_20220224_151009.jpg

Love you brother and Goodluck

1 hour ago, THAIJAMES said:

Here are some pictures of the MOI meeting today in Chiang Mai. There were only three other westerners besides myself, a Canadian and two Austrians.  The other foreigners were most likely wives of thai men.

IMG_20220224_125929.jpg

IMG_20220224_151009.jpg

Well done!  Should be just a year away now from having your ID card.

I assume you had to sing because you're not married to a Thai?

36 minutes ago, Marcati said:

Well done!  Should be just a year away now from having your ID card.

I assume you had to sing because you're not married to a Thai?

I wish it was only one year maybe I'll be lucky everything's going so fast.

Yes I applied as single after having 6 years of permanent residency.

3 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

IMG_20220224_125929.jpg

IMG_20220224_151009.jpg

Well done. All the Best. Hope, you will get your card in 12-16 months.

1 hour ago, THAIJAMES said:

I wish it was only one year maybe I'll be lucky everything's going so fast.

Yes I applied as single after having 6 years of permanent residency.

I feel bad for the people rejected for being unable to sing the anthem, but surely they knew that was a requirement? Did they try and fail because they didn't remember the words or could not make themselves understood, or did they just decline to sing it?

24 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

I feel bad for the people rejected for being unable to sing the anthem, but surely they knew that was a requirement? Did they try and fail because they didn't remember the words or could not make themselves understood, or did they just decline to sing it?

Could it be possible that despite applying based on marriage to a Thai, the committee in Chiangmai still required that they sing the national and royal anthems and, as such, were not prepared? I agree that it does seem really strange that they would not have prepared to sing the anthems if singing them was required, such as under the PR route.   

Archived