Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

32 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Never heard this before. Why would they do that 

@yankee99 and @Nordlys Its correct, they inform your Embassy that you're a Thai citizen now.

They(MOI) give reference to the letter which you initially submitted to SB.

Incase you're American, Canadian, British, Aussie- it hardly matters.

These countries have their own regulations to renounce citizenship.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Never heard this before. Why would they do that 

Bear in mind that there are a large number of Chinese and Indian applicants and their embassies can revoke their citizenship when they receive these notices. Same with Koreans, Singaporeans, Malaysians and others. Sending letters to embassies was introduced at the same time as the affidavit and is obviously linked. They hope that the foreign governments will do the job for them and probably had assumed that all of them would do this.

Today, I accomplished one more statutory requirement of returning back the Tangdav book(Red book) to the Police station which issued it to me in 2006.

It was very quick. Hardly it took 10 minutes(that too, as the Police officer incharge went to copy my ID card in another section of his office). I had given him my Naturalisation Certificate copy & RG publication copy. No signatures were asked on the copy, or on any register/form. No receipt was issued for returning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 12:53 AM, qualtrough said:

Finally. Received my ID card. Total elapsed time was from 09:30 to 11:30. Lunch break, and then another hour to complete the activities and get the card. Elapsed time from starting the process to now is approx 3.5 years. 

Be sure to bring or have access to the names of your siblings and parents in Thai because they ask for them.

I plan to cancel my WP and Visa soon . Is there anything other than my old passport/new ID card/WP that I need to bring? 

Congratulations! 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 2:53 PM, qualtrough said:

Thanks! Good luck with the booster process.

I have a question. Do you, or anyone else here, know if it is permissible to laminate the Certificate of Citizenship? Try as I might, it is starting to show some signs of wear. We have done this with our marriage and children's birth certificates and that has never posed a problem, but thought I would ask before proceeding just to be sure.

I took advice from a poster here a while back and asked SB for an extra couple of copies.

Immigration actually never asked to keep a copy, only the Khet in Bkk did, so I have 2 official copies, which I think look better than the real one, and a better size. I might put one in a frame.   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I took advice from a poster here a while back and asked SB for an extra couple of copies.

Immigration actually never asked to keep a copy, only the Khet in Bkk did, so I have 2 official copies, which I think look better than the real one, and a better size. I might put one in a frame.   

Hi Neeranam brother,

Did you get 2 additional certificate of citizenship? How much is the charge? Is there any specific procedure to get additional copy?

Thanks 

Today, I visited Transportation Department Region 1 at Bankunthien, to change my nationality to Thai in my Car registration book. 
It took slightly less than an hour (including the eating time for my Queue#)to complete the task. Simple one page form was filled by me in English, giving my address & purpose. List of documents attached were also listed in the form. I used my ID card,Naturalisation Certificate, Tabien ban,RG announcement list & of course the Car registration book. I had copies of the documents & handed over the same to them.

Did not face any issue as the officers understood the requirement & knew the SOP for Nationality change in the registration book.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sinthavee said:

Hi Neeranam brother,

Did you get 2 additional certificate of citizenship? How much is the charge? Is there any specific procedure to get additional copy?

Thanks 

Hi Sinthavee, 

I asked my case officer on the phone, probably when he called to tell me to go to pick up the certificate, for some extra copies. These are not the same as the main one, but 'duplicate' although in colour. They have written คู่ฉบับ on the top. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 3:35 PM, sinthavee said:

However, for the driving license, I was able to get it changed in the Nonthaburi office. I didn’t fill up any form, but was given a sheet with my details and Nationality shown as Thai with my address. I was issued a new driving license & the cost was 55 Baht. It is valid up to 2026. Total time taken was less than 30 minutes.

Documents used:

1.ID card

2. Naturalisation Certificate copy

3.RG announcement copy.

I haven't done that yet. I guess I should, and also the Social Security office. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Hi Sinthavee, 

I asked my case officer on the phone, probably when he called to tell me to go to pick up the certificate, for some extra copies. These are not the same as the main one, but 'duplicate' although in colour. They have written คู่ฉบับ on the top. 

Thank you, Neeranam brother.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I haven't done that yet. I guess I should, and also the Social Security office. 

I will go SSO office next month & to get my Thai Nationality updated in the SSO system. Once done, it will save me from once a year visit to SSO office. Physical appearance once a year (October or later) is a must for all foreigners for continued SSO pension payment(Only those who contributed at least for 15 years to the SSO pension scheme get monthly payment).

I got 2 colour copies of my Naturalisation Certificateat a stationary shop which provides copying service as well. One, exactly of the same size as of the original. Cost was 35 Baht & the another one of A4 size. Second one cost me 20 Baht. Also, I got few black and white copies of the certificate, Tabien Ban & RG publication relevant pages, as these are required at most places when updating records to Thai Nationality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Has anyone updated their TAX ID,

If Yes, what's your experience?

I tried to update my tax ID at the tax office in Prakanong district but no one knew what to do. In the end I just submitted my Por Ngor Dor 91 using my ID card number and all was fine. I assume that my office updated their records accordingly. This is going back about 6 years so things may have changed since then.  

• Like 2

There's a telling interview in the other newspaper titled "Grimaces replace smiles for retirees" (not allowed to post link here) with some interesting facts and numbers. Hardly any Permanent Residencies granted less than 800 in two years... 

Quotes by the immigration's deputy chief.

Also says holders of Permanent Residency can work? That's news to me. Makes the strong case how not easy it still is to attain citizenship here...

17 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

There's a telling interview in the other newspaper titled "Grimaces replace smiles for retirees" (not allowed to post link here) with some interesting facts and numbers. Hardly any Permanent Residencies granted less than 800 in two years... 

Quotes by the immigration's deputy chief.

Also says holders of Permanent Residency can work? That's news to me. Makes the strong case how not easy it still is to attain citizenship here...

They cannot grant more PRs than they have applicants. It is normal that a small percentage will be rejected.

And yes, you can work if your have PR. You need a Work Permit though, with or without PR. No difference.

9 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

They cannot grant more PRs than they have applicants. It is normal that a small percentage will be rejected.

And yes, you can work if your have PR. You need a Work Permit though, with or without PR. No difference.

Also, I think you'll find quite a few people who were at one time interested in PR decided to skip it and go straight for citizenship. I believe that more than half of PR applicants would also qualify for citizenship based on marriage, so why waste the time and money on PR. As a result the number of PR applicants could have dropped since the laws on citizenship changed in 2008.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, sinthavee said:

I got my Thai ID card yesterday. From application at Santiban to finally getting the ID was 3 years 5 months and 18days.

I was at the Khet by 8:08 AM.

I had taken prior appointment on 29th Dec 2021. Officer started to work on my Tabienban name changing & preparing necessary documentation for the Thai ID from 8:45 AM.

Both the witnesses required were with me in the office right from 8:45 AM. I had to sign free documents in Thai. Witnesses too had to sign a document each.

By 12:15 PM he completed changing my nationality in the Tabien ban to Thai. He handed me the documents required for ID card issuing department to process further & issue me the ID card.

After lunch, I met the staff processing the documents for issuing ID card. She took all the documents and asked me to fill up the application form seeking ID card. She also took 2 photographs (2x2.5” white background) from me. I signed the form and the witnesses also signed the form.

Finally, the documents were ready & were sent to the Head of Khet. I was called to the Khet Head’s office. She had few general questions & wished me all the best.

I was asked to go get photo for getting  my ID card. Removed Shoes & mask, had my photograph taken, both the thumb fingerprints were registered.

Later the staff asked me to come to the counter and collect my ID card. Before collecting, she recorded both my index finger prints.

Officer in the morning as well as staff in the afternoon had scanned and saved relevant pages of my passport,PR book,Red book,Pink ID card and the Naturalisation Certificate. Officer also had taken my signatures on many pages of photo copies of my travel documents.

i did not have to make/submit any photocopies of my original documents. Whatever was required was copied by the officer on the office copier, & he only asked me to sign each of the page. He also had taken 4 photographs (2x2.5” white background) from me, and used on the documents he prepared. I got my ID at 3:15 PM. My witnesses had to stay till that time. One was the owner of the the house in which my name appears & another was his sister staying in a separate house of her own.

Overall it was a long but pleasant experience.

For those who are yet to complete the Tabien Ban updation to change Nationality to Thai & get Thai ID card issued, take home points are:

1.Be prepared for a long day at Khet office.

2.Have 2 witnesses; if you are a member of a household, owner of the house must be one of the witnesses. Both the witnesses also need to be with you from start to end of the process. Please inform them in advance that they might have to spend almost a day.

3. Be prepared to forgo lunch (you might carry some food & eat it during lunch break) or eat whatever is available near the Khet office.

4. Carry all your original documents including the documents provided by Santiban. Remember to carry at least 6 Nos of 2x2.5” size white back ground photos. Also, the original Tabien ban book.

5.You need to write the names of your parents & siblings in Thai on the ID application form. ID application needs to be written in Thai(you might use chrome browser for transliteration of Names from your language or English). If you can not write your self, have someone with you to help you,on this.

5. Have patience; officers and staff need time to complete the required documentation process. They can’t bypass our short cut & shorten the process. Depending on their experience & skill, some one could process faster & some other could be slow.

Wish you all the best.

I got my ID card on 14 January. Broadly similar experience to @sinthavee. Arrived at 8:30 and fully finished just before 16:30. Finished house registration part around 11:00. After pleading and begging, they said they could schedule appointment for ID card at 14:30 that day. I handed over documents so they could pre-prepare. Back at 14:30. Both witnesses had to be there until almost the very end (make sure to check before letting the witnesses leave).

Now to changing bank accounts, tax id etc.. Oh joy!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GarryP said:

so why waste the time and money on PR. 

Because there are some who want to obtain the benefits and security of permanent residence but have no wish to become Thai citizens (and all the baggage that goes with it). How many in that category? Probably not many but I am one of them.

There will be some in that category who take a purely utilitarian approach (for example wishing to buy and own land/houses in own name) and will take the now cheaper and easier course of going for citizenship even though profoundly uncomfortable with prevailing Thai values.They are right to do so on practical terms.

Edited by jayboy
  • Sad 1

Talking about middle names: In my pink ID, I only have the middle initial, not the full spelling of the middle name. In my application for citizenship, of course I used the full middle name. 

Can I expect problems later on, or will they just issue the Thai ID with the correct full middle name as per nationality certificate?

A stupid problem to have, I know. Why is only the middle initial in the pink ID, you ask? I don't remember, but it has never caused a problem.