Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Update Thai nationality in all your banks, cr cards, Driver's Licence, Insurance, car, scooter.

If you have kids, you need to update it in their BC as well.

WP is a finite thing , just let it expire. You may ask your company to cancel on your behalf if you're really so concerned abt it.

Visa has to be cancelled for sure. You have to attend the IO which gave u current extension.

Thanks. When I received my docs the female acting head at the SB told me specifically to cancel my work permit and said that someone had been fined 20,000 for not doing so. I don't know if that is accurate or not, just passing along what I was told.

• Like 1

Just now, qualtrough said:

Thanks. When I received my docs the female acting head at the SB told me specifically to cancel my work permit and said that someone had been fined 20,000 for not doing so. I don't know if that is accurate or not, just passing along what I was told.

Don't take risk, tell your company to get it cancelled.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Now you will get Thai ID card in 90 days according to new rules.

DrJoy, news didn’t specifically say that the ID will be issued in 90 days. It said that the consideration deadlines are 90 days and 120 days respectively for the applications filled locally and filled abroad. It also mentioned that the deadlines could be extended by 30 days each twice.

We need to wait for the RG publication to know more details.

Also, all might not be allowed to apply for Thai citizenship abroad. It could be only for those meeting specifically prescribed criteria, which might be published in RG.

5 hours ago, qualtrough said:

What is the advantage to changing other than promotions, etc.? I hadn't even thought of doing that. 

Besides the legality issue, as a Thai you receive interest ! My Kasikorn branch however was not able to transfer the account, had to close the old and issue a new one. 

1 hour ago, heiri007 said:

Besides the legality issue, as a Thai you receive interest ! My Kasikorn branch however was not able to transfer the account, had to close the old and issue a new one. 

I received interest with BBL before I became a citizen. And updating my accounts was simple enough. It seems to not only vary from bank to bank, but also branch to branch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

LOL! I won't even have to MOI interview by then...

Exactly! We are in the same boat my friend.  I'd be super excited just to get the interview done this year.  By the sound of things we really are still 2 years away ????

Edited by Marcati

13 hours ago, Marcati said:

Exactly! We are in the same boat my friend.  I'd be super excited just to get the interview done this year.  By the sound of things we really are still 2 years away ????

Let's keep each other updated. When were your documents sent from SB to MOI? Mine were sent in April 2020.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:59 PM, DrJoy said:

@qualtrough and @sinthavee Please share your experience of updating Thai nationality in your bank accounts.

Thanks!

Hi DrJoy,

Today afternoon, I went to a SCB Ranch located in the Bond Street,Pakkret & told the bank staff that I need them to update my change of Nationality in their system for all my accounts including Savings,RMF, LTF etc. She took all my passbooks,ID card,previous nationality PP. Checked with her HQ for the procedure & then filled up a form & took my signatures on 3 pages of form . She also took my Tabien ban copy & Nationality Certificate copies. Took my signatures on all the copies & told me that the job from my side is complete. She told me that it might take about 2 weeks for updation in the system.

All this, was completed in 30 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sinthavee said:

Hi DrJoy,

Today afternoon, I went to a SCB Ranch located in the Bond Street,Pakkret & told the bank staff that I need them to update my change of Nationality in their system for all my accounts including Savings,RMF, LTF etc. She took all my passbooks,ID card,previous nationality PP. Checked with her HQ for the procedure & then filled up a form & took my signatures on 3 pages of form . She also took my Tabien ban copy & Nationality Certificate copies. Took my signatures on all the copies & told me that the job from my side is complete. She told me that it might take about 2 weeks for updation in the system.

All this, was completed in 30 minutes.

Thanks for the update, highly appreciated.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I saw the Post article too but the details are not very clear. The language testing will be done by a sub-committee and it sounds like it will be similar to the tests for PR which are also done by a panel these days.  The PR test is just aural comprehension and speaking.  No reading or writing but the citizenship tests already had optional reading and writing tests since 2010. So it is possible this will be included as an option or even compulsory but  didn't see any reference to this. Since this is just a ministerial regulation, it can't do away with the 2008 amendment to the Act that exempts applicants married to Thais to have knowledge of the language.  However, what they could do is increase the weighting to Thai language in the points system, as they did in 2010 in the wake of the amendment that allowed those married to Thais to leapfrog the PR stage. 

The people who sit on the MOI interview panel may be fed up with seeing applicants who can't communicate effectively in Thai and have to rely their Thai wives to interpret for them, since the 2008 amendment made this possible.  Of course it has never been possible for applicants on the basis of PR to use an interpreter, so this never happened before 2008.  They must also recognise that the SB language and knowledge of Thailand test lack rigour, as they must interview people who can barely speak a word of Thai with astonishingly high points for language.

A friend who is waiting for his MOI interview got his agent to call SB and they said the new system will only apply to new applicants whose files have not yet been forwarded to the MOI.  But who knows, if this will be the case.  When they introduced the affidavit requirement, some applicants, whose files were already in the MOI, were recalled to provide affidavits but some weren't for some reason.  While the current minister remains in office, I don't that they will recall applicants who applied under the old rules but, if he goes a new broom might feel like flexing his muscles.  I assume the new fees of 10,000 baht will only apply to those who haven't paid yet.

Thanks for your input @Arkady

40 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I saw the Post article too but the details are not very clear. The language testing will be done by a sub-committee and it sounds like it will be similar to the tests for PR which are also done by a panel these days.  The PR test is just aural comprehension and speaking.  No reading or writing but the citizenship tests already had optional reading and writing tests since 2010. So it is possible this will be included as an option or even compulsory but  didn't see any reference to this. Since this is just a ministerial regulation, it can't do away with the 2008 amendment to the Act that exempts applicants married to Thais to have knowledge of the language.  However, what they could do is increase the weighting to Thai language in the points system, as they did in 2010 in the wake of the amendment that allowed those married to Thais to leapfrog the PR stage. 

The people who sit on the MOI interview panel may be fed up with seeing applicants who can't communicate effectively in Thai and have to rely their Thai wives to interpret for them, since the 2008 amendment made this possible.  Of course it has never been possible for applicants on the basis of PR to use an interpreter, so this never happened before 2008.  They must also recognise that the SB language and knowledge of Thailand test lack rigour, as they must interview people who can barely speak a word of Thai with astonishingly high points for language.

A friend who is waiting for his MOI interview got his agent to call SB and they said the new system will only apply to new applicants whose files have not yet been forwarded to the MOI.  But who knows, if this will be the case.  When they introduced the affidavit requirement, some applicants, whose files were already in the MOI, were recalled to provide affidavits but some weren't for some reason.  While the current minister remains in office, I don't that they will recall applicants who applied under the old rules but, if he goes a new broom might feel like flexing his muscles.  I assume the new fees of 10,000 baht will only apply to those who haven't paid yet.

3. Clearly specify the time period for considering and examining the qualifications for applying for Thai citizenship or applying for naturalization as a Thai The competent official must complete the process within 90 days or 120 days in the case of filing abroad. which can be extended for no more than 30 days at a time, but not more than 2 times and must be in the case of necessity only (previously, there was no time limit for considering and checking qualifications) 

I have tears????  Krab pom

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

3. Clearly specify the time period for considering and examining the qualifications for applying for Thai citizenship or applying for naturalization as a Thai The competent official must complete the process within 90 days or 120 days in the case of filing abroad. which can be extended for no more than 30 days at a time, but not more than 2 times and must be in the case of necessity only (previously, there was no time limit for considering and checking qualifications) 

I have tears????  Krab pom

Good luck to anyone trying to apply at a Thai embassy abroad!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

But the new regulations also mention about the 90 day processing deadline which can be extended by 30 days , 2 times. 120 days deadline if applying from abroad.

Are they that efficient? I don't think so

Official link here -

https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/50437

Thanks for posting the original. Far better than reading a report that has gone through a Thai reporter and a subeditor.

It does seem as if they are going to do panel interviews like they do for PR.  No mention of reading and writing.  Just letting SB allot points for spoken language based on meetings in the office was admittedly rather haphazard.  But it is still not clear whether applicants married to Thais will have to do these panel interviews for points or not.

They  had a flowchart showing a time limit of 90 days for processing the pre-MOI part of the process when I applied but they took the opportunity to scrap it during the red shirt protests of 2010 because they were outside Police National HQ and the officers said they couldn't be sure of being able to get the office every day.  So this is just reviving something that was there before.

25 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Good luck to anyone trying to apply at a Thai embassy abroad!

Is there any provision in Nationality act or Ministerial regulations? (To apply at an Embassy)

I read it again but couldn't find.

Maybe you know?

Herewith I am listing some of the necessary updations one needs to do after obtaining Thai ID & passport (for those who were holding Thai PR prior to getting Thai Citizenship).

Update bank account records

Surrender work permit
Update social security account
Update driving license
Update car ownership records
Update  insurance for car
Surrender original country passport(For some countries, where it is essential)

Surrender Tangdav(Red book)/PR documents at police station & immigration respectively.
Update Covid vaccination records
Update mobile & internet services

Please add, if anything is missing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sinthavee said:

Herewith I am listing some of the necessary updations one needs to do after obtaining Thai ID & passport (for those who were holding Thai PR prior to getting Thai Citizenship).

Update bank account records

Surrender work permit
Update social security account
Update driving license
Update car ownership records
Update  insurance for car
Surrender original country passport(For some countries, where it is essential)

Surrender Tangdav(Red book)/PR documents at police station & immigration respectively.
Update Covid vaccination records
Update mobile & internet services

Please add, if anything is missing.

sounds like you've done the important ones.

If you figure out how to do line pay please let me know 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Arkady said:

A friend who is waiting for his MOI interview got his agent to call SB and they said the new system will only apply to new applicants whose files have not yet been forwarded to the MOI.  But who knows, if this will be the case. 

I have the Pathom 6 degree. So I am wondering: Once this new regulation is in force, should I cancel my current application and apply new? I will be processed within 90 days. Even if they delay by 30+30 days, it will still be much faster...

Just now, onthemoon said:

I have the Pathom 6 degree. So I am wondering: Once this new regulation is in force, should I cancel my current application and apply new? I will be processed within 90 days. Even if they delay by 30+30 days, it will still be much faster...

don't do that,

keep the old .

new 30 + 30 you should know how Thai Govt works,

the letter of confirmation of Interview at MOI i have done my interview on 17 December 2019 and i received letter from moi on April 2020 ????

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

???? And then he woke up and realized it was a dream. Stay on your current path. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david143 said:

don't do that,

keep the old .

the letter of confirmation of Interview at MOI i have done my interview on 17 December 2019 and i received letter from moi on April 2020 ????

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

???? And then he woke up and realized it was a dream. Stay on your current path. 

OK guys, you win. When you are right, you are right. ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

don't do that,

keep the old .

I imagine the 90 days will the processing time from SB accepting your application until forwarding to MoI signed off by NIA and other agencies, as it was in the old flow chart.  But they can always come up with excuses for not sticking to the time limit.  The flow chart also used to say "no time limitation" for all the other steps after the file arrived at the MoI. I am sure it will be the same again.  They are not going to impose time limits for the minister or HMK to sign and probably not even for the interview.  The MoI doesn't want to create a stick to beat itself with.  I think it is concerned with delays that are often caused by the other agencies that have to sign off between SB and the MoI.  Agencies like the narcotics people have been notorious for leaving files piled up in in trays and not responding to chasers.

• Like 1

FYI
if you have read the Meeting Min from Govt Website, its not mentioned anything regarding Special Branch , just like previous 2008 Amendment which cleared Mentioned **** SPECIAL BRANCH ***** will handle all the case.

Now new meeting min mentioned DOPA *** Every province has its own DOPA office ***** Department of Provisional Administration**** i am still curious and waiting for RG , + i talked to my SB friend he said they are also waiting from Ministry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yankee99 said:

sounds like you've done the important ones.

If you figure out how to do line pay please let me know 

I don’t have line pay. I have True Wallet. Checked & found that they can’t change Nationality for the existing account. One needs to close the existing account & then open the new one using Thai ID.

I will spend the few hundred Baht remaining in the True Wallet, & then close it. 

After that, I will apply for new True Wallet, with my Thai ID.

Probably, for line pay also, the procedure might be similar. You may check with them.

5 hours ago, onthemoon said:

@onthemoon I was just joking.

Don't take it seriously. ????

• Haha 1

FYI
if you have read the Meeting Min from Govt Website, its not mentioned anything regarding Special Branch , just like previous 2008 Amendment which cleared Mentioned **** SPECIAL BRANCH ***** will handle all the case.

Now new meeting min mentioned DOPA *** Every province has its own DOPA office ***** Department of Provisional Administration**** i am still curious and waiting for RG , + i talked to my SB friend he said they are also waiting from Ministry.

HMK has not signed the order yet. No RG publication yet.

19 hours ago, Arkady said:

Thanks for posting the original. Far better than reading a report that has gone through a Thai reporter and a subeditor.

It does seem as if they are going to do panel interviews like they do for PR.  No mention of reading and writing.  Just letting SB allot points for spoken language based on meetings in the office was admittedly rather haphazard.  But it is still not clear whether applicants married to Thais will have to do these panel interviews for points or not.

They  had a flowchart showing a time limit of 90 days for processing the pre-MOI part of the process when I applied but they took the opportunity to scrap it during the red shirt protests of 2010 because they were outside Police National HQ and the officers said they couldn't be sure of being able to get the office every day.  So this is just reviving something that was there before.

What is a panel interview? What happens in a panel interview?