Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

5 minutes ago, Marcati said:

Given the meetings are being done by Zoom now and the interviews only last a few minutes it really boggles me why they are so far behind in processing the applications for this last interview.

Now you will get Thai ID card in 90 days according to new rules.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Marcati said:

I'm in the same boat, even I went to school to study to read and write, I always default to Google voice and then just read what it spat out to ensure it's correct 55555. If I have to write manually will take me 10 min to send a simple message

I am worse than that. I really cannot write. I can't spell to save my life. I learned purely by teaching myself, starting with words that are pronounced the same in Thai and English, street sign posts, bus destinations written on the side of the the bus, etc. So I learned to read, but never learned to write. I know it sounds weird but absolutely true. I can read and understand court decisions, but I could not write one word that appears in those decisions.  To this day, part of my job involves checking that Thai translations are accurate interpretations of the English. Luckily, I already have Thai citizenship.    

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Back when I was teaching English to Japanese housewives about 35 years ago, they were all taking the Primary School level Thai language classes. It was something they did to fill their day. I assume it will be something similar. 

You said ' Japanese housewives' but someone who is working as a  company MD obviously wont go to grade 1 and start learning Thai.

1 hour ago, david143 said:

For amendment in 1967 Nationality.
Documents are forward to PM for reconsideration and Approval.
Its still a news until it will Publish in RG.
FYI
This law will applicable for new comers.

RG publication requires signature of His Excellency R10

32 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

The new processing deadline for applications is 90 days or 120 days for applications filed from abroad.

I think that is false info. I cannot see how a application done outside the country could be done. The nationality act has no provision for them to be done outside the country.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Back when I was teaching English to Japanese housewives about 35 years ago, they were all taking the Primary School level Thai language classes. It was something they did to fill their day. I assume it will be something similar. 

I was in fact never a Japanese housewife or something similar. That's just a rumour.

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

I did this not to long ago and at bkk bank and kasikorn. Kasikorn only looked at my house book and id. Gave me a new book for free with my name in thai and takes a week to get in the system. 

Bkk bank needed my naturalization papers with my id and house book. Had to pay for new bank books and takes about a week to get in the system. 

fwiw the the paotang app (gwallet) was much harder to get activated but saved me 40% on every centara hotel charge 

What is the advantage to changing other than promotions, etc.? I hadn't even thought of doing that. 

10 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I was in fact never a Japanese housewife or something similar. That's just a rumour.

I studied for the Pratom 4 certificate long ago (the highest level at that time for foreigners) and my classmate was a Japanese housewife.

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

You said ' Japanese housewives' but someone who is working as a  company MD obviously wont go to grade 1 and start learning Thai.

In my experience Japanese often take learning the language very seriously. Even MDs. They were among the students when I studied for the Pratom 4 certificate.

4 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

My khet (Wattana) insist on a copy of the MOI letter sent to the individual applicant - NOT the letter sent by MOI to SB advising that 'X' has been approved for Thai nationality, a copy of which you get given by SB. Luckily I did receive said letter although it's literally just a pre-paid postage item folded and stapled, not even in an envelope and certainly not registered / EMS delivery.

Incidentally, the letter says that the process at the khet has to be completed within 60 days of getting Thai nationality, which it specifies as the date of publication in the RG. Of course the letter was dated a month after RG publication and didn't arrive at my address for another 2 weeks ...

Once I've completed all the steps at Wattana I'll post more fully but for now let's just say it's by no means "in an out in a day".

I received my flyer/letter very late too. I was never asked about it. Luckily the two offices I visited (one for my temporary yellow book address, the other to move from that to my real address) for my ID card and blue book transfer were quick about it. 

10 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

What is the advantage to changing other than promotions, etc.? I hadn't even thought of doing that. 

You have to do, otherwise ur breaking the law.It amounts to using your former nationality 

10 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Doesn't it come down to the fact that you should not be using your home country passport in Thailand once you gain Thai citizenship. So keeping your bank accounts tied to your foreign passport may not be a good idea as in theory such use could result in revocation of Thai citizenship (probably very unlikely but why risk it).    

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Doesn't it come down to the fact that you should not be using your home country passport in Thailand once you gain Thai citizenship. So keeping your bank accounts tied to your foreign passport may not be a good idea as in theory such use could result in revocation of Thai citizenship (probably very unlikely but why risk it).    

Absolutely correct @GarryP

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

I'm not sure about that.In the 1980's I recall at least two senior British businessmen learning Thai who took the Thai

language examination geared to Thai primary age children.I can even remember the photograph of them both at the British Club when receiving certificates

12 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I'm not sure about that.In the 1980's I recall at least two senior British businessmen learning Thai who took the Thai

language examination geared to Thai primary age children.I can even remember the photograph of them both at the British Club when receiving certificates

Good for them

31 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

I studied for the Pratom 4 certificate long ago (the highest level at that time for foreigners) and my classmate was a Japanese housewife.

Obviously they learn Thai, coz they're terrible in English.

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that is false info. I cannot see how a application done outside the country could be done. The nationality act has no provision for them to be done outside the country.

I dont wanna be rude. You and arkady are experts here.

Do you think a desk officer at MOI has the power to revoke Nationality laws signed by His Excellency R9 or even Mr. COC for that matter?

Your answer will be highly appreciated!

As with anything of this nature, it'll take at least a few months for the details to settle into place. If there is a writing test in the Thai script, this is going to hamstring my application even though I have reasonable spoken Thai. It's not clear to me at this time if I'm going to have to get my son to teach me to read write as a matter of urgency.

1 minute ago, qualtrough said:

I better do that then! Thanks. Any other things other than that, cancelling WP/Visa that I need to be aware of?

Update Thai nationality in all your banks, cr cards, Driver's Licence, Insurance, car, scooter.

If you have kids, you need to update it in their BC as well.

WP is a finite thing , just let it expire. You may ask your company to cancel on your behalf if you're really so concerned abt it.

Visa has to be cancelled for sure. You have to attend the IO which gave u current extension.

43 minutes ago, jayboy said:

https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/50437 is the official summary of the Cabinet minutes for 11 January (scroll down to Law). I assume taking the Grade 6 equivalency test is one way to meet the new language requirement. I took this test in the late 90s. It is a fairly comprehensive test covering speaking, listening, reading, and writing. The description here https://www.thaisolutions1502.com/services/thai-teaching/examination-grade-6-private-small-group-or-one-to-one/ matches what the test was like. for me. 

Even if your Thai is good, you probably need to study specifically for the test to ensure you will pass (I did a 30 hour course at a language school). I recall you had to address an envelope correctly and there lots of ways to loss points if you don't follow the correct method. All things such as Thai culture etc.

NOTE: The first line of 1 states. กำหนดสถานที่ในการยื่นคำขอมีสัญชาติไทยของหญิงต่างด้าวที่มีสามีเป็นผู้มีสัญชาติไทย (basically this is setting out the requirements of the locations for submitting an application is foreign female married to a Thai male) which it lists as DPA for Bangkok and provincial halls for outside of Bangkok. 2 also references foreign female (this relates to evidence needed to submit). 3-5 make no reference as whether this foreign female or includes males as well. It may be necessary to see the actual draft regulation or gazetted regulation to see who it actually applies to and then how this fits within the Act. Then see how SB and MOI interpret how it applies as well...

2 minutes ago, jayson1 said:

Even if your Thai is good, you probably need to study specifically for the test to ensure you will pass (I did a 30 hour course at a language school). I recall you had to address an envelope correctly and there lots of ways to loss points if you don't follow the correct method. All things such as Thai culture etc.

Correct.

The Thai used in Government settings is extremely difficult.

There is a totally different Thai if you want to speak to HMK.

1 hour ago, jayson1 said:

https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/50437 is the official summary of the Cabinet minutes for 11 January (scroll down to Law). I assume taking the Grade 6 equivalency test is one way to meet the new language requirement. I took this test in the late 90s. It is a fairly comprehensive test covering speaking, listening, reading, and writing. The description here https://www.thaisolutions1502.com/services/thai-teaching/examination-grade-6-private-small-group-or-one-to-one/ matches what the test was like. for me. 

Yes, this is the test I took too. Thanks for posting that complete list.

Archived