Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

46 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Talking about middle names: In my pink ID, I only have the middle initial, not the full spelling of the middle name. In my application for citizenship, of course I used the full middle name. 

Can I expect problems later on, or will they just issue the Thai ID with the correct full middle name as per nationality certificate?

A stupid problem to have, I know. Why is only the middle initial in the pink ID, you ask? I don't remember, but it has never caused a problem.

Also speaking of middle names. I went to my district office to have my middle name removed so just first and last now.   I was having issues scanning my id for various thai apps with my phone. The middle name was being used as first/last etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Picked up my ID yesterday from Wattana DO. In at 0900 and out at 1030. The process involved:

House Registration desk (application to change my nationality in my current Blue Book) > ID Card desk > ID Card Photo Desk > ID Card Photo verification desk > House Registration desk to change nationality and issue a new book because I said I'd rather have a new book than one with crossings out etc etc

Would have been a bit quicker but first time around they spelt my middle name in English wrong and I didn't notice till I got back to the House Registration desk ... so back to the Photo Desk for a new photo and a new ID card.

All very helpful and friendly and, best of all, all free, even issuing a replacement Household Registration.

Of course, it took three weeks of bureaucracy to get to this stage:

Day 1 - go to Wattana and check with them what docs etc needed to get ID, as I was going to pick up said docs that day from SB. Given a list of 13 items.

Day 2 - go back to Wattana with all the docs on the list: asked if I had made copies; I said no, because they didn't ask for copies and only 1 item on the list specified original + copy (house sale and purchase contract - but only required if the Household Registration you use doesn't have a recorded Owner 'jao baan'). Also told I will need to schedule an interview for the House Reg application and that Wattana will also need to write to SB to have SB confirm that all the docs they issue are genuine. Asked if I wanted to collect and deliver said letter myself or have it sent by post ...

Day 3 - back to Wattana to get the letter for SB. Went to SB who were very helpful and typed up a letter while I waited. Could have gone back to Wattana same day but couldn't be ar**d.

Day 4 - back to Wattana with SB letter and all docs. They told me which ones to copy etc. Copied them at a copy station next door. Told to wait for phone call to make interview appointment. They called a day or two later and interview date set for two weeks later on 21 Jan. Then got a call to ask if I could do 19 Jan (thankfully an easier day for me and my missus).

Wed 19 Jan - Interview by House Registration officer to process application to amend entry in House Reg and then get ID. Routine if redundant questions. Asked about vaccination status (dates of shots / type of vax!). Tempted to say 'none of your business' but ultimately who cares. Had to bring two witnesses - one of them my wife. The other was one of my employees.

Mon 24 - Wattana called to say DO Chief had signed docs. Could I come today? I said I was busy and we fixed up for Wed 26.

Wed 26 - As per above. I only brought 1 witness (my employee) because my wife wasn't free (working on a film set upcountry). We knew she wouldn't be free after 22 Jan for 2 weeks when we went for the interview and told the officials then. They said it was no problem if my wife signed some power of attorney forms in advance and I used those as required, which I did.

So, all done in 3 years 9 months!

Hearty congratulations.

Now, I understand why the SB officer told if the Khet is not Wattana, process is easy.

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Talking about middle names: In my pink ID, I only have the middle initial, not the full spelling of the middle name. In my application for citizenship, of course I used the full middle name. 

Can I expect problems later on, or will they just issue the Thai ID with the correct full middle name as per nationality certificate?

A stupid problem to have, I know. Why is only the middle initial in the pink ID, you ask? I don't remember, but it has never caused a problem.

What is the name shown on your Naturalisation Certificate? They follow the same. Hope, it exactly matches with your Tabien ban.

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I can't see it would be a problem. They ask for your full name when taking the ID photo: the official who takes the pic then enters your name and thumb prints (scanned electronically) into the computer system and prints out a form with English / Thai names on it that you sign, said form then taken to another desk at which point the official there takes your old ID card - in my case my pink card - and sends you off to the ID card printing desk.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, sinthavee said:

Hearty congratulations.

Now, I understand why the SB officer told if the Khet is not Wattana, process is easy.

Thanks. The SB guy who did the letter for me also said that Bang Khun Thian DO requires SB to verify the docs. Much easier to get to SB from Wattana than Bang Khun Thian!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sinthavee said:

What is the name shown on your Naturalisation Certificate? They follow the same. Hope, it exactly matches with your Tabien ban.

I don't have it yet, as I am still waiting for the MOI interview. I expect it to show the middle name spelled out.

The Tabien Baan now shows the middle initial. I don't think that's a problem; we can just say that person moved out and register with the new spelling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I don't have it yet, as I am still waiting for the MOI interview. I expect it to show the middle name spelled out.

The Tabien Baan now shows the middle initial. I don't think that's a problem; we can just say that person moved out and register with the new spelling.

Personally I would clarify with sb not with moi. You can always change your name after you get your thai id. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

Personally I would clarify with sb not with moi. You can always change your name after you get your thai id. 

No, I wasn't going to discuss with MOI. Rather with the Khet. And you are right, I can always change the name if all else fails, so in the end, there is always a solution. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david143 said:

FYI
there was a Interview Meeting for Nationality Candidates on 19 Jan 2022
12 Female and 17 Male .
some on zoom and some in personal.

เป็นการพิจารณากลั่นกรองคำขอถือสัญชาติตามสามีผู้ที่มีสัญชาติไทยของหญิงต่างด้าว จำนวน 12 ราย และการพิจารณากลั่นกรองคำขอแปลงสัญชาติไทยของคนต่างด้าว จำนวน 17 ราย เมื่อวันพุธที่ 19 มกราคม 2565 เวลา 09.30 น.

001.jpg

002.jpg

3.PNG

4.PNG

That's so few people.  Given the backlog of applications I really wish they would speed this up, especially since these interviews are so quick.

3 hours ago, david143 said:

FYI
there was a Interview Meeting for Nationality Candidates on 19 Jan 2022
12 Female and 17 Male .
some on zoom and some in personal.

เป็นการพิจารณากลั่นกรองคำขอถือสัญชาติตามสามีผู้ที่มีสัญชาติไทยของหญิงต่างด้าว จำนวน 12 ราย และการพิจารณากลั่นกรองคำขอแปลงสัญชาติไทยของคนต่างด้าว จำนวน 17 ราย เมื่อวันพุธที่ 19 มกราคม 2565 เวลา 09.30 น.

001.jpg

002.jpg

3.PNG

4.PNG

Seems like yesterday i was there with all the seats full and you were literally sitting next to some of the officers. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When adding a nationality, you don't have to change your values, not that there is anything wrong with Thai values.

I added no baggage when gaining Thai citizenship. No idea what you're on about.

The fact that you have no idea what I'm talking about speaks volumes and suggests your decision to take Thai citizenship was a wise one.Where ignorance is bliss, it's folly to be wise.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, qualtrough said:

This mystified me as well. Profoundly uncomfortable with Thai values, and apparently thinking that being a permanent resident rather than a citizen makes him/her morally superior in some way?? And the baggage part? What? I feel like I dropped off a boatload of baggage once I obtained my citizenship.

I don't feel morally superior at all and nothing I have said could lead anyone to such a conclusion.In any case it's entirely an individual decision and I've already said qualified people who need citizenship for practical reasons should of course do it.I have a couple of friends in that position.My initial response was simply to the question posed of why someone qualified should prefer PR to citizenship.I said that was certainly my position and I fully understand it would be a small number. I do not see how how one can take citizenship from a foreign country without endorsing that country's values.I don't and on this matter at least will stick to my principles.If the rotten core was cut away and the younger generation of enlightened Thais took over, that would be a different matter. (For those with the wit to grasp how tectonic plates can move, look around you - it's already happening.) Others like you take a different view and there's no possible objection to that.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I don't feel morally superior at all and nothing I have said could lead anyone to such a conclusion.In any case it's entirely an individual decision and I've already said qualified people who need citizenship for practical reasons should of course do it.I have a couple of friends in that position.My initial response was simply to the question posed of why someone qualified should prefer PR to citizenship.I said that was certainly my position and I fully understand it would be a small number. I do not see how how one can take citizenship from a foreign country without endorsing that country's values.I don't and on this matter at least will stick to my principles.If the rotten core was cut away and the younger generation of enlightened Thais took over, that would be a different matter. (For those with the wit to grasp how tectonic plates can move, look around you - it's already happening.) Others like you take a different view and there's no possible objection to that.

I had prepared a response, but I will follow Arkady's advice and move on.

Edited by qualtrough
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, qualtrough said:

From the context I think it is safe to assume that what he means is that it wasn't that long ago that the meetings were packed, not that there was a meeting just the other day.

Given they are about the change the rules and regulations to apply you would think they would want to clear the entire backlog to prepare for the new process.

9 hours ago, Marcati said:

Given they are about the change the rules and regulations to apply you would think they would want to clear the entire backlog to prepare for the new process.

New rules also mention 90 day processing from SB to MOI.

On 1/27/2022 at 4:45 PM, Marcati said:

That's so few people.  Given the backlog of applications I really wish they would speed this up, especially since these interviews are so quick.

Sure they will speed up for you , when u pay THB 500,000/- (Hard Cash)

I had my SB interview sometime in mid-2020 and then the NIA interview (at their temporary rented  co-working space at KoKreate on Phahonyothin Road) in August 2020. Shortly after that, my case officer informed me that all documents have been sent to MOI and I should wait for an interview call from the MOI and SB have no influence on that. I am getting anxious as 18 months have passed without any news, is this normal?. @David143 has mentioned above about an MOI interview held on 19th Jan 2022. Would anybody know when this batch had their NIA interview? By way of information, on SB recommendation, I applied on the basis of being married to a Thai national even though I also qualified on the basis of having a PR for over 5 years. Will that have any effect? Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sinthavee said:

There is no need to get alarmed. You are likely to have your final interview at BORA some time this year.

In my case, I had my MOI interview  on 20th July 2018 & my BORA final interview was on 21st Sep 2020. It took 26 months.

You might call & check your application status by calling BORA office, Lamlukka(Tel:02-791-7332).

All the best.

Thank you, much appreciate your helpful reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marcati said:

Please report back what you find out.  I have not had much luck in getting any firm details out of MOI regarding the queue and waiting time ????

My docs were sent to the MoI/BORA in April 2019. I followed up again last month. I was told that I am in the queue and should wait a little. I hope I'll get the interview in the first half of this year.

5 hours ago, onthemoon said:

My docs were sent to the MoI/BORA in April 2019. I followed up again last month. I was told that I am in the queue and should wait a little. I hope I'll get the interview in the first half of this year.

You're from april 2019 batch, before you mentioned march 2020

which one is correct?