Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

9 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I read news mentioning that Thai language is a must for Citizenship application now. Does anyone knows if it has been implemented or just a proposal?

I'm thinking of applying for it but my Thai language is close to 0 but no issues with other requirements.

Its Meeting mint/suggestion
Waiting RG which will wait another few months or may be year to implement

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, david143 said:

Its Meeting mint/suggestion
Waiting RG which will wait another few months or may be year to implement

Thanks for the information.

Would like to hear opinions from those who had applied. Is it worth spending the time and money applying ?

Below are my background

(1) living here for more than 5 years

(2) annual extension based on family (wife and kids)

(3) stable work and salary

Im fustrated with the annual extensions (past 2 years were much better) and dual pricing.

I also have plan to purchase house/land and start my own business so I'm wondering if the trouble is worth it.

Also, my Thai language is close to 0, just simple conversation, would that make it?  

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

Thanks for the information.

Would like to hear opinions from those who had applied. Is it worth spending the time and money applying ?

Below are my background

(1) living here for more than 5 years

(2) annual extension based on family (wife and kids)

(3) stable work and salary

Im fustrated with the annual extensions (past 2 years were much better) and dual pricing.

I also have plan to purchase house/land and start my own business so I'm wondering if the trouble is worth it.

Also, my Thai language is close to 0, just simple conversation, would that make it?  

You can make it

Apply it before Test Education of Thai will mandatory.
You are Ok to Go

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

I read news mentioning that Thai language is a must for Citizenship application now. Does anyone knows if it has been implemented or just a proposal?

I'm thinking of applying for it but my Thai language is close to 0 but no issues with other requirements.

This was a report of a cabinet resolution to make people apply to the MOI instead of SB. The press just played up the bit about MOI to do the language testing which they will have to do, if they really ever take over all the processing from SB which the police will forcefully resist. The resolution was to issue a ministerial regulation, not to amend the Act which would be required to make Thai language a requirement for those married to Thais. With the government unable to even be sure it can survive the next few weeks amending the Nationality Act would certainly not be s priority. 

in Thaksin’s time the police fought off an attempt to put both citizenship and PR processing under a new MOI department. My guess is the police will win again this time. But, since things never get easier it’s always good to apply ASAP.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:15 AM, Arkady said:

I think they  have a different system in CM and do their own interview to approve the application before putting it into the MOI system. I remember reading about someone doing a similar interview with local high ups in Phuket some years ago. I guess it would be equivalent to SB Bkk approving your application with no set time for the MOI interview to follow.

I have to sing the national and royal anthem next week. I'm under the impression that it's the final moi interview, the full committee.

Less than one year from application, pretty good for Chiang Mai.

Just now, THAIJAMES said:

I have to sing the national and royal anthem next week. I'm under the impression that it's the final moi interview, the full committee.

Its your Last Interview
and Goodluck

7 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

1 year is super fast, impressive.

Good Luck for your interview.

8 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

I hope for your sake you are right but I think it's unlikely to be the final MOI interview. The members of the big committee that makes the final recommendations to the minister are listed in Section 25 of the Act and the composition of the little committee that does the MOI interviews is the same but the officials can be a rank or two lower.  It is not shown in the Act but was listed in lengthy Thai language guidelines that used to be on SB's website.  There is nothing about provincial governors or deputy governors chairing the committees, although they could conceivably be delegated to do so. The chairman of he big committee is supposed to be the undersecretary of MOI, the senior bureaucrat at the ministry. Most of the agencies and departments on the committee have people up in CM, except the Foreign Ministry but they might not have people in CM of the rank entitled to sit on the committee.

As previously mentioned, I recall others having to do similar interviews in CM and Phuket with high level local officials and singing before being referred to the MOI for the main interview.  But let's see.  Good luck in the interview and be sure to start the royal anthem low enough that you have enough register in your voice to get in the high notes without having to drop down an octave.

20 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

Very lucky to get it done so quickly...........  good luck

16 hours ago, DrJoy said:

1 year is super fast, impressive.

Good Luck for your interview.

Yes the officer in charge at SB is really really nice and very helpful. Really on top of things. It's actually only been 10 months because I applied in April after sonkhran.

14 hours ago, Arkady said:

I hope for your sake you are right but I think it's unlikely to be the final MOI interview. The members of the big committee that makes the final recommendations to the minister are listed in Section 25 of the Act and the composition of the little committee that does the MOI interviews is the same but the officials can be a rank or two lower.  It is not shown in the Act but was listed in lengthy Thai language guidelines that used to be on SB's website.  There is nothing about provincial governors or deputy governors chairing the committees, although they could conceivably be delegated to do so. The chairman of he big committee is supposed to be the undersecretary of MOI, the senior bureaucrat at the ministry. Most of the agencies and departments on the committee have people up in CM, except the Foreign Ministry but they might not have people in CM of the rank entitled to sit on the committee.

As previously mentioned, I recall others having to do similar interviews in CM and Phuket with high level local officials and singing before being referred to the MOI for the main interview.  But let's see.  Good luck in the interview and be sure to start the royal anthem low enough that you have enough register in your voice to get in the high notes without having to drop down an octave.

That's a good tip for the Royal Anthem because I'm always dropping an octave.  I did talk to the SB officer today and he did say it was the last interview. That it would then go to the interior ministry to be put in the queue.  He warned me that that may take 3 years or more for the process.

17 hours ago, Arkady said:

Is this equivalent to NIA interview as in Bkk?

Does the process work differently in the provinces?

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Is this equivalent to NIA interview as in Bkk?

Does the process work differently in the provinces?

I don't know the answer but I do know that I had two NIA interviews one in person in Chiang Mai and a zoom one from Bangkok both extremely long over an hour and a half.

2 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

I don't know the answer but I do know that I had two NIA interviews one in person in Chiang Mai and a zoom one from Bangkok both extremely long over an hour and a half.

that's long i couldn't handle that I think between sb moi and nia about 1  hour combined in bkk system based on marriage 

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

So long? What was the topic of discussion ?

Everything you could possibly think of.  Work, source of wealth, family, relationships and politics.  Although everything had already been documented and answered in the chiang mai interview.  Maybe my Thai it's too fluent.  I can see that if the interview was in English it would have been much shorter 5555.

21 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

That's a good tip for the Royal Anthem because I'm always dropping an octave.  I did talk to the SB officer today and he did say it was the last interview. That it would then go to the interior ministry to be put in the queue.  He warned me that that may take 3 years or more for the process.

Perhaps the MOI has delegated the little committee interview to officials in CM.  They can probably do that because the officials who are supposed to sit on the committee in Bkk delegate their subordinates to go in their place.  But the timing seems strange: MOI interview after a year, then saying it might take 3 years after that. After MOI interview there is nothing to be done but forward the recommendations to the big committee which usually meets a couple of months later to rubber stamp the recommendations which are then sent to the minister for signature.  If the little committee interview is delegated to CM, the CM recommendations should go straight to the big committee, not hang around in the MOI for years.

15 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

Everything you could possibly think of.  Work, source of wealth, family, relationships and politics.  Although everything had already been documented and answered in the chiang mai interview.  Maybe my Thai it's too fluent.  I can see that if the interview was in English it would have been much shorter 5555.

My bangkok NIA interview was long as well.  My wife and I sat next together but interviewed simultaneously by two different officers.  I can converse quite well in Thai so we also talked about everything.

4 hours ago, Arkady said:

Perhaps the MOI has delegated the little committee interview to officials in CM.  They can probably do that because the officials who are supposed to sit on the committee in Bkk delegate their subordinates to go in their place.  But the timing seems strange: MOI interview after a year, then saying it might take 3 years after that. After MOI interview there is nothing to be done but forward the recommendations to the big committee which usually meets a couple of months later to rubber stamp the recommendations which are then sent to the minister for signature.  If the little committee interview is delegated to CM, the CM recommendations should go straight to the big committee, not hang around in the MOI for years.

By this timeline it looks, it takes 4 years+ in the Provinces and 3 yrs in Bangkok from start to ID card.

Do the Provincial candidates attend interview in Lamlukka? If yes, then what`s the whole point of applying in the provinces?

On 2/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, DrJoy said:

By this timeline it looks, it takes 4 years+ in the Provinces and 3 yrs in Bangkok from start to ID card.

Do the Provincial candidates attend interview in Lamlukka? If yes, then what`s the whole point of applying in the provinces?

My process is 3 years already and I'm still waiting for the MOI interview, so I'm projecting another 2 years, if I'm lucky enough to get the MOI interview this year

1 hour ago, Marcati said:

My process is 3 years already and I'm still waiting for the MOI interview, so I'm projecting another 2 years, if I'm lucky enough to get the MOI interview this year

What were they doing from 3 yrs?

Did you follow up with MOI Lamlukka?

3 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

What were they doing from 3 yrs?

Did you follow up with MOI Lamlukka?

SB, NIA and the Police had it for two years and now MOI has had it for 1 year.  Everything seems to be backed up because of COVID.

My wife previously called MOI and all they said was wait..........

Archived