Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

11 hours ago, Marcati said:

Please report back what you find out.  I have not had much luck in getting any firm details out of MOI regarding the queue and waiting time ????

As long as the process is in place, I am not in a hurry as I have a job and still a few more years before I am culled (retire ????), will surely update if I happen to call and ask them.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, I went to Rayong SSO office(I used to work in Maptaphut) & submitted the copies of my Naturalisation Certificate,RG announcement & ID card copy to update my Thai Nationality in my SSO records. They gave me 2 forms to fill & also took my bank passbook copy to update the records. 
It took about 30 minutes to complete.

i have problem
My SSO data not changed yet, i already got ID in SEP 2021, my office forgot to change , it will any problem for me, today i am planning to go myself and see if it work out, but i am still paying my 750 monthly .

9 minutes ago, sinthavee said:

Yesterday, I went to Rayong SSO office(I used to work in Maptaphut) & submitted the copies of my Naturalisation Certificate,RG announcement & ID card copy to update my Thai Nationality in my SSO records. They gave me 2 forms to fill & also took my bank passbook copy to update the records. 
It took about 30 minutes to complete.

Did your SocSec number change? I still have an old number starting with a 6, which was issued long before I got my PR. When I went to the SSO to ask about the number (because now I have a pink card with a number starting with an 8), they say I have to re-apply. I am afraid this will mean that my more than 15 years of paying will be lost, and I will lose my pension.

i still can login from my 6 SSO number but once i tried from ID starting 8 system said No registration available, i am scared too because i already have saving 150697 THB .
which is i really don't want to loose either, i will find out today

8 minutes ago, david143 said:

i still can login from my 6 SSO number but once i tried from ID starting 8 system said No registration available, i am scared too because i already have saving 150697 THB .

I see you are in the same situation as me. Looking forward to learning what you can find out.

The question had popped up in here about change of tax number once you become Thai. Went to the tax office yesterday, all I had to do is sign a form. Now the Thai ID no. is the regular tax ID no. Easy, no complications and no additional documents required.

32 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

The question had popped up in here about change of tax number once you become Thai. Went to the tax office yesterday, all I had to do is sign a form. Now the Thai ID no. is the regular tax ID no. Easy, no complications and no additional documents required.

Which Office?

50 minutes ago, david143 said:

I recall updating my details with the Area 4 Social Security Office on Silom Road about 5 or 6 years ago. It was quite straightforward. However, I had never checked if my SSO number had changed until I read your post. I quickly logged into the app and confirm that it uses my ID card number. According to the app, I have been in the system since 1 July 2541 and accumulated Baht220,699. I will be getting the monthly pension, as I really have no choice in the matter due to being in the system so long. 

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

Did your SocSec number change? I still have an old number starting with a 6, which was issued long before I got my PR. When I went to the SSO to ask about the number (because now I have a pink card with a number starting with an 8), they say I have to re-apply. I am afraid this will mean that my more than 15 years of paying will be lost, and I will lose my pension.

I don’t think the the social security number will change or any one will lose the accumulated funds due to change of nationality. As I retired in May 2020 & get monthly payment from SSO on 25th of each month, I need to see if this month I will get the payment or it might take some more time because of my Nationality updation. I will report after 25th Feb.

1 hour ago, david143 said:

i have problem
My SSO data not changed yet, i already got ID in SEP 2021, my office forgot to change , it will any problem for me, today i am planning to go myself and see if it work out, but i am still paying my 750 monthly .

I don’t think you will have any problem. However, you may check with SSO office.

51 minutes ago, sinthavee said:

I don’t think the the social security number will change or any one will lose the accumulated funds due to change of nationality. As I retired in May 2020 & get monthly payment from SSO on 25th of each month, I need to see if this month I will get the payment or it might take some more time because of my Nationality updation. I will report after 25th Feb.

The number does change' I needed a confirmation of insurance when I left, because I needed it for the Thailand Pass in order to return. They gave me a form to fill in but I did not have my passport (for the old number) with me. They said I have to "apply again" (สมัครใหม่) rather than update the number. That's what confused me, and why I am afraid I will lose the pension.

Looking forward to your report after the 25th.

FYI
I went to my Office Juristic Social Security Phra khanong, 
Change Data from Passport to Thai ID.
Documents:
Thai ID
Blue SSO card which is now invalid
Previous Passport
Documents submitted and officer said you can use SSO APP with ID card number by tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, david143 said:

FYI
Documents:
Thai ID
Previous Passport
Documents submitted and officer said you can use SSO APP with ID card number by tomorrow.

Did you ask whether your seniority (number of years paid in) will remain unchanged?

2 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Did you ask whether your seniority (number of years paid in) will remain unchanged?

My seniority remained unchanged. It was simply a matter of updating the record, not the creation of a new one.

I haven't changed my nationality with the SS. I went to hospital a few months ago to be told I wasn't in the system.

However, I only had to visit the office at the hospital to prove I pay the 432 baht monthly and they sorted it out. They never said anything about having to change my nationality, but better do it before I'm the age when I get the small amount every month. Is it 60, or 65 these days?

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I haven't changed my nationality with the SS. I went to hospital a few months ago to be told I wasn't in the system.

However, I only had to visit the office at the hospital to prove I pay the 432 baht monthly and they sorted it out. They never said anything about having to change my nationality, but better do it before I'm the age when I get the small amount every month. Is it 60, or 65 these days?

There have been discussions about increasing the retirement age from 55 to 60, but this seems to have been put on hold for the time being. This is through concerns that the fund will run out of money due to poor management. There are also discussions on increasing the amount of contribution, but like many things here it could be quite a few years before we see these changes.  

15 minutes ago, GarryP said:

There have been discussions about increasing the retirement age from 55 to 60, but this seems to have been put on hold for the time being. This is through concerns that the fund will run out of money due to poor management. There are also discussions on increasing the amount of contribution, but like many things here it could be quite a few years before we see these changes.  

I was not thinking about the retirement age, which is 55, but the age when we can get the 500 baht every month. I heard that they might be increasing that age from 60 to 65. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I was not thinking about the retirement age, which is 55, but the age when we can get the 500 baht every month. I heard that they might be increasing that age from 60 to 65. 

The Prayut government has, in its uncharitable style, floated the idea of scrap this automatic benefit and making a means tested thing instead a couple of times. There was a bit of a backlash and they put it on hold each time.  I think increasing the age is also one of their ideas but they can't withdraw benefits while COVID is still going on. I applied for the geezer allowance as soon as I could.  I have paid enough Thai tax and am happy to get at least some benefit for it.

The Thai government can't wait to get its own digital currency which would provide the means to pay benefits direct as well as track everyone's expenditures. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I will get both my social security pension and the Baht 500 a month when I hit 60. As Arkady has mentioned, they have spoken about increasing the age for this benefit but it is a no go at the moment. They are also considering increasing the amount, but with the aging population, there are serious concerns about funding. 

18 hours ago, david143 said:

FYI
Documents:
Thai ID
Previous Passport

Hi David 143 brother,

Are you able to log in using your ID in to SSO App today? If yes, what changes do you see?

2 minutes ago, sinthavee said:

Hi David 143 brother,

Are you able to log in using your ID in to SSO App today? If yes, what changes do you see?

hi
not yet, i am trying since morning but i still can't login from ID number.
i will update once i will able to login

Archived