First day of Songkran: 500+ drunk drivers

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that on the first day of this year's Songkran festival 509 drunk drivers were caught.

Two drivers were driving under the influence of drugs.

Announcing the figures Sunday was director of the probation department Wittawan Sunthornkhajit. 

1pm2.jpg

The province with most offenders was Samut Prakan south east of the Thai capital Bangkok with 58 cases.

In second and third were Nonthaburi with 56 and Saraburi with 50.

1pm1.jpg

One person so far was ordered to wear the EM or electronic monitoring bracelet.

That confines the offender to home curfew between the hours of 10pm and 4 am. 

Thailand is having its twice annual crackdown on DUI - usually at the January New Year and Songkran. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-12

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Impound their vehicle, a heavy fine, & 1 year ban.

That's a start but I'd amend it to crushing the impounded cars immediately.    If a car is merely impounded, we all know the perp will be able to bribe someone to get the car returned.

• Like 1

Just now, Ventenio said:

seize all property, 10 million baht fine, and 20-year ban.  

blah, blah, blah....we play judge and jury all day, every day, every week, every month, every year......why they no listen to us????

i could solve every problem in the world!!!!!  

Excellent.  Glad to hear it.

Can you fix the Thai problem?

You ask why they don't listen to us;  it's just a suggestion but for the clearest answer to the problem, read the above post – the one that starts with "seize all property".  Maybe that's the reason.  Worth a thought...

Edited by ParkerN

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Alas, this seems to be the only viable way. A slap on the wrist and - in a few rare cases - wearing a monitoring bracelet does preciously nothing. People only will learn when it really hurts them materialistically.

If a driver is caught drunk, the vehicle should be impounded on the spot, the driver and his passengers having to find other means to continue on their way.

All vehicles impounded in such way also should be misappropriated and destroyed, regardless of the erstwhile owners moaning and whining how much hardship it's going to cause them.

Even a super wealthy person will learn the lesson once 5 BMWs have been impounded and destroyed. 

Destroy a hi-so BMW, are you on drugs? 

Just now, PatOngo said:

Can Thai's fix a Thai problem??? ????

Please note, the following is NOT Thai bashing so don't even think about saying that it is.  I merely note some of the disadvantages of living in Thailand.  There are many, many advantages, and I shouldn't need to tell you what they are because you are here as well.

The above post  makes a fair point, to which the answer is: " probably not, not without consulting other people".  In my opinion, we are privileged to be watching the collapse of a nation.  One of the Inevitable consequences of Thailand's loss of tourism income,  is that they have needed increasingly to depend upon themselves, only to find that they cannot because their education is insufficient to work out how.  Unfortunately, due to decades of sponging from visitors, all the Thais have left it what they know and have learned themselves.  Which apart from the intelligentsia of Thailand, is sod all – the square root of nothing at all.

Thailand is in the process of learning that there are no free rides that last forever. They chose to lie to, steal from and cheat foreigners, and the consequence of that is that foreigners no longer trust them   And no longer wish to visit  or are forbidden from visiting their country.  Many foreigners certainly aren't going to spend their money coming to Thailand to be lied to some more, cheated some more and stolen from some more. 

I have noticed that the harder things get, the more tightly people cling to what they already know and what is already familiar.  So many Thais outside of Bangkok have reverted back to sitting down to dinner of insects or rats on a cloth on a mud floor shouting at each other from 2 feet away and generally becoming closer to the traditional Thai culture.  Unaware, or seemingly unaware that the world has moved on.  I watched today on Thai TV, a monk showing a wonder struck audience two lumps of magnetite rolling towards each other in the palm of his hand.  He appeared to be claiming that this was some kind of folk magic,  and was surrounded by an adoring and awedtruck audience.  With this kind of leadership, frankly speaking, my opinion is that they deserve everything they get, and deserve everything they will get: they wanted to be in the Third World, congratulations there in the Third World and trust me, I don't see any way that they going to escape the restrictions of the Third World, certainly not in my lifetime.  Do I worship them?  No.  Am I in awe of them?  No.  Do I feel sorry for them?  No, though I used to, before I understood that they are the architects of their own misfortune.  Does everybody have to share my opinion?  No, nobody needs to agree with what I say everybody needs to learn for themselves.

Why do I live here?  Because it's cheap.  Why do I not go and live somewhere else?  I might.  Why do I disdain foreigners who hold these people in reverence?  I don't. Everyone needs to find out for themselves about the people they've decided to live with.  This seems to be a law and applies equally to marriages and most other things in life as well as moving.  And lastly, why do I feel so reluctant to help people who are downtrodden, kept ignorant and uneducated?  Because they have chosen to be downtrodden and make that same choice every day. Because they have chosen  to be ignorant and educated.  We all have to live by our choices ties a living by theirs now, and I wish them luck, because surely they are going to need it.

Let's all wait for the day where once more they put their hand out for international aid, and let's see how disdainful of foreigners they are then. the wheel has turned against foreigners just now, but without a doubt, in my view, it will turn back.

Disagree with or object to what I say? That is your right.  No need to be disdainful, no need to be sympathetic no need to find excuses.  I have not been exploited or emotionally hurt by  a Thai,  I have merely watched what's going on around me, and found it not very much to my liking.  Still, it's my choice Where I live, and for the moment, I am not going anywhere.  My life, my choice, and the cost of living is cheaper in Thailand,  think of that  what you like.

Hey ho.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

So, they were caught, and? then what? Catch and release? Summarily executed? Received a stern talking to?

…and, how many were not caught?

I think they caught way over 5000 but 4500 give "coffee" money and continue to drink lao khao!

And other, over 50000 drunk driver who never drive to check point!