Finally some good news: Thailand tipped to ease 90 day reporting for foreigners

snoop1130

1 hour ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

I’ll add my five baht worth…

I

Long story, it ate up my day. Couldn’t do another thing other than my required 90 Day Report that day. Without on-line reporting - Five days per year spent at Nonthaburi Immigration.  

Do you do your 90 day reporting every 70 days ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rioD said:

I have a retirement income of 8000 USD and lived in Thailand with my (American) wife and daughter, in a luxury high-rise on the beach in the Wongamat area of Pattaya. My daughter attended an expensive international school. My total expenses we roughly 5000 USD per month.  Spending 200-300,000 baht per month would require a load of stupidity and wasteful spending.  Had I been single with no dependents I believe I could live very well on 2000-2500 USD per month.  In fact if living on the beach wasn't important to me I could live good there for possibly half that amount as I often did when I came to Thailand as a tourist.

Yeah 5k usd is more than enough here.

It's enough for a great lifestyle.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 11:22 AM, clivebaxter said:

Which is why once you go the visa way and start bribing IO's in another province for an extension you are stuck with them for 90 day and return stamps. You were lucky they did not revoke your extension, you are only legally able to get that in the province where you live. Try going yourself to KK or Nan and tell them you live in Bkk but want to get an extension there!

Yes i know. But with my situation living off of a trust fund right now and have trustees incontrol of it. I cant get the legally required amount if monthly income for do it myself. So forced into using an agency. And they have already said if i went back to america they wouodnt do anything to help me. Takes time and money to hire lawyers to force them in the court system to do the right thibg and legally uphold the legal writings of the trust. They also said that they trust cant support moving me back to the states. Im in a bad situation and really dont know how to deal with it. Just hope and pray each day ill be ok. 

On 4/12/2021 at 5:15 PM, thequietman said:

Blah blah blah, change .... blah blah blah boosing investment ..... blah blah blah ....... making it easier for foreigners.

Nothing will happen. Mark my words. ????

I think at least 47 people agree with you going by the Emoticons at the foot of the article!

On 4/12/2021 at 10:15 PM, thequietman said:

Blah blah blah, change .... blah blah blah boosing investment ..... blah blah blah ....... making it easier for foreigners.

Nothing will happen. Mark my words. ????

Spending 10 million Bhat on a property, on a development with one Rai of land. 

Where are these properties? 

And the only people I know who are spending more than 20k Bhat a week are golfer's that play a lot. 

20k Bhat is roughly 1000 dollars a week, twice the NZ pension. 

I try to manage on 10k per week, which is more than I can manage on in NZ. 

The Thai Bhat is to high still to high, and I would not dream of buying a property under the conditions in Thailand, renting will suffice. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 5:11 PM, snoop1130 said:

Among the proposals include relaxing immigration regulations for visa applications, work permits and 90 day reports.

I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime, I'm not holding my breath.

3 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Spending 10 million Bhat on a property, on a development with one Rai of land. 

Where are these properties? 

And the only people I know who are spending more than 20k Bhat a week are golfer's that play a lot. 

20k Bhat is roughly 1000 dollars a week, twice the NZ pension. 

I try to manage on 10k per week, which is more than I can manage on in NZ. 

The Thai Bhat is to high still to high, and I would not dream of buying a property under the conditions in Thailand, renting will suffice. 

Anything in Pattaya area with one rai, most in Rayong along he beach, not on the beach but near the beach.

• Like 2

According to Bloomberg, the government has set up a task force in order to help make it easier for long term tourists and expats to stay in Thailand.

The 90 day reporting is a nuisance, but is lately done very fast if one lives close to an Immigration office. For those who are not close to an IO, how about just SIMPLY call the IO, say Hello, give your name, and some proof of ID. and get a note on file indicating that a report has been done. The banks do it, my mastercard and banking providers do it at the end of the world. I got my password changed by a bank employee, also at the end of the world, after she had identified me to her satisfaction.

Now why is that simple things seem impossible to do in Thailand. I remind myself of Anthony Robbins quote 'I love it when you say something is impossible, and you do it anyway'.

And now, how about getting a so called retirement visa without having to leave to a nearby country, get an 'O' visa, come back, and now show to an IO that 'Ahah, here a new type of visa. This one is a 'convertible' one,  Someone thought that this would accomplish something, improve something, protect something. Never could think of any reason that could fall under any of these categories. So WHY?

In my work in developing computer systems, there was an acronym that was used when designing systems, KISS. Keep it simple stupid..

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 11:11 AM, Kaopad999 said:

prove that they can afford to live here on a reasonable amount of money

That's exactly what they are doing with the barriers set at

Retirement 800k in a bank or 65k a month income

Marriage 400k in a bank or 40k a month income

and haven't changed for at least 15 years.

Which many do not want to or cannot comply with

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

According to Bloomberg, the government has set up a task force in order to help make it easier for long term tourists and expats to stay in Thailand.

The 90 day reporting is a nuisance, but is lately done very fast if one lives close to an Immigration office. For those who are not close to an IO, how about just SIMPLY call the IO, say Hello, give your name, and some proof of ID. and get a note on file indicating that a report has been done. The banks do it, my mastercard and banking providers do it at the end of the world. I got my password changed by a bank employee, also at the end of the world, after she had identified me to her satisfaction.

Now why is that simple things seem impossible to do in Thailand. I remind myself of Anthony Robbins quote 'I love it when you say something is impossible, and you do it anyway'.

And now, how about getting a so called retirement visa without having to leave to a nearby country, get an 'O' visa, come back, and now show to an IO that 'Ahah, here a new type of visa. This one is a 'convertible' one,  Someone thought that this would accomplish something, improve something, protect something. Never could think of any reason that could fall under any of these categories. So WHY?

In my work in developing computer systems, there was an acronym that was used when designing systems, KISS. Keep it simple stupid..

Things could be a lot easier, however there is a large number of illegal  foreigners, mostly retirees, that don't qualify to live here, and make it bad for the honest, law-abiding ones. 

Corruption at the top has to be eradicated. Visa 'agents' who pay corrupt immigration police have to be stopped and put in jail. 

Old or naive foreigners must be told that they are illegal if they've paid 20,000 baht for an extension; I fear most don't even know they are breaking the law. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Things could be a lot easier, however there is a large number of illegal  foreigners, mostly retirees, that don't qualify to live here, and make it bad for the honest, law-abiding ones. 

Corruption at the top has to be eradicated. Visa 'agents' who pay corrupt immigration police have to be stopped and put in jail. 

Old or naive foreigners must be told that they are illegal if they've paid 20,000 baht for an extension; I fear most don't even know they are breaking the law. 

You fail to mention the younger ones working here without work permits

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Work Permits are nothing to do with Immigration. 

Perhaps you have already forgotten what you wrote but for your edification it was "however there is a large number of illegal  foreigners, mostly retirees, that don't qualify to live here". Secondly that statement was an allegation without a thread of evidence so just an opiniated piece of text. Plus to point you to the subject matter it is about easing 90 day reporting and those on a work permit still have to do 90 day reports, or perhaps you had no idea of that requirement.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I had a WP for many years and never had to report to the Dept of Labour every 90 days. 

I still work here but don't have a WP, but that's another story ???? 

You didn't have to report because your company did it for you. If you worked here many years you should have known that, but it was still a 90 day report on your behalf.  

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Perhaps you have already forgotten what you wrote but for your edification it was "however there is a large number of illegal  foreigners, mostly retirees, that don't qualify to live here". Secondly that statement was an allegation without a thread of evidence so just an opiniated piece of text. Plus to point you to the subject matter it is about easing 90 day reporting and those on a work permit still have to do 90 day reports, or perhaps you had no idea of that requirement.

Or no idea........... 

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Might very well be that making it easier to qualify to live here would reduce or eliminate having illegal retirees here.

And might very well be that 'someone at the top' thinks also that things should be made easier. And that someone at the top makes it so. Yes what you call corruption.

And might very well be that 'visa agents' are not paying 'corrupt immigration police'. But yes, money changes hands...

So this means that if a retiree follows the advice given at the IO, to see an 'Agent', I fear most that it is not the naive foreigner that is breaking the law, if any law is broken....

On 4/13/2021 at 5:36 AM, meechai said:

Why do they always have to say something like this in their reports? Do they not know how lo-so that sounds? How discriminatory? They already

make retiree's lock up 800k for most of the year....Is it never enough Thailand?

That aside who the H3ll is going to spend $9527 USD per month to live in Thailand?

Anyone with that budget can live..........anywhere nice they want with little or no restrictions

Discriminatory lol. There's not a country in the world that goes out of its way to attract poor retirees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 10:46 AM, foreverlomsak said:

That's exactly what they are doing with the barriers set at

Retirement 800k in a bank or 65k a month income

Marriage 400k in a bank or 40k a month income

and haven't changed for at least 15 years.

Which many do not want to or cannot comply with

It's about time they were raised to stay in line with inflation and what other countries ask for.

• Sad 1

On 4/16/2021 at 5:43 PM, Andre0720 said:

And might very well be that 'visa agents' are not paying 'corrupt immigration police'. But yes, money changes hands...

So this means that if a retiree follows the advice given at the IO, to see an 'Agent', I fear most that it is not the naive foreigner that is breaking the law, if any law is broken....

Do you really think so?

Are you saying that immigration tell people who don't qualify for a visa to see an agent?

Edited by Neeranam

47 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It's about time they were raised to stay in line with inflation and what other countries ask for.

Further thought lets reduce them, I'm married with 2 school age kids living in the "sticks" and could at a push live on 35k a month.

I know quite a few "retirement" individuals with no wife or family that say they could manage easily on 35k a month.

• Thanks 1

I seem to be alone in thinking 90 day reporting is a minor issue. I do it by post every three months. Not really a problem. Just have to remember to mark it on the calendar. Health care is my biggest worry here, and the atrocious road accident statistics, and H&S in general.