Pig farm digging garbage hole in mountain

Lolothai

Good morning everyone, I'm wondering if it's legal for the pig farm behind my house (500 m away) to dig in the mountain to throw their garbage. I don't know exactly what they are doing because they blocked the area and put cameras last year then after this it started to really smell burnt plastics. I checked on google earth and take a screenshot of 2019 and 2020 pictures. Last year we could hear the excavators digging but it has stopped recently.

pig farm before garbage hole.PNG

pig farm garbage hole.PNG

My wife thinks that anyway they pay the police and the local politics. The drone is a good idea but they could sue me for it. I suppose that if it was totally legal they would not hide it like this. I'm quite tempted by the drone thing. Maybe it would worth to ask a lawyer.

19 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

My wife thinks that anyway they pay the police and the local politics. The drone is a good idea but they could sue me for it. I suppose that if it was totally legal they would not hide it like this. I'm quite tempted by the drone thing. Maybe it would worth to ask a lawyer.

I have to admit it was irony, and I have to say, listen to your wife and neighbours, and let them deal with it, if it is an issue. When i Rome, do as,,,,,,, etc etc even it is hard to do.

If the police dealing drugs to the teenagers, and you know it, you see it and every neighbour and everyone in the village knows it, what would you do?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I have to admit it was irony, and I have to say, listen to your wife and neighbours, and let them deal with it, if it is an issue. When i Rome, do as,,,,,,, etc etc even it is hard to do.

If the police dealing drugs to the teenagers, and you know it, you see it and every neighbour and everyone in the village knows it, what would you do?

Well the teenagers around here are indeed dealing drugs, that's a good example however I don't have much problem  if they like to hurt themselves, now getting poison by unscrupulous neighbors is a bit more problematic. 

I will avoid doing as Roman do even in Rome given the life expectancy of Thai people in our area.

I'm aware of the lawlessness of Thailand but if there were any way we could refrain this pig farm from doing more harm I would be interested, otherwise just cross my fingers that the wind blow the right way.

• Like 1

Let Thais deal with Thais ! Listen to your wife, if you feel you must then go to the Pu Yai baan with your concern.

Bare in mind that most villages in rural Thailand just dump it in an open area thats just walled off !

If they are creating their own landfill its saving the local authority dealing with it and they probably know anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

If they are creating their own landfill its saving the local authority dealing with it

Hmm ???? Does the OP's village have local authority garbage collection? If not then the pig farm is doing their best?

1 hour ago, Lolothai said:

Well the teenagers around here are indeed dealing drugs, that's a good example however I don't have much problem  if they like to hurt themselves, now getting poison by unscrupulous neighbors is a bit more problematic. 

I will avoid doing as Roman do even in Rome given the life expectancy of Thai people in our area.

I'm aware of the lawlessness of Thailand but if there were any way we could refrain this pig farm from doing more harm I would be interested, otherwise just cross my fingers that the wind blow the right way.

Well, the problem is, it is the police who give teh tenagers to sell to. And thats the best example of how deleted things are here. 

As Charlie say, go to the village boss with every neighbour, friend and family and deliver your concern. 

Unfortunately you have only three choices in Thailand if you do not have family high up, and that is to go to your village boss,  look another way, or move if its to bad. I might be wrong, but my experience is that local village thais keeps their heads low, and hope not bee bothered with any undelicate matters. 

Another good reason to not invest more than you can walk away from. 

The list getting longer for good reasons the longer I stay here, to keep my investments on my limit. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Well, the problem is, it is the police who give teh tenagers to sell to. And thats the best example of how deleted things are here. 

As Charlie say, go to the village boss with every neighbour, friend and family and deliver your concern. 

Unfortunately you have only three choices in Thailand if you do not have family high up, and that is to go to your village boss,  look another way, or move if its to bad. I might be wrong, but my experience is that local village thais keeps their heads low, and hope not bee bothered with any undelicate matters. 

Another good reason to not invest more than you can walk away from. 

The list getting longer for good reasons the longer I stay here, to keep my investments on my limit. 

Thanks for your answer, I could end up getting more serious problems if I bother them but I if ever there is an opportunity or if one day I find a lawyer who think the case is interesting then I will try to act. For now it's best to keep a low profile I guess.

If your issue is the occasional smell of burnt plastic and an ugly outlook that might be nothing much. Thais love their burnt plastic it seems. If for example you can show that polluted waste water, a common problem with pig farms,  is an issue for your farm and the local area then locals might take notice. 

For peace of mind you could find a lawyer who knows the local, regional and national environmental protection and waste laws just to see what the laws are. They might not charge too much for a consultation or two and they might be able to focus on you on the specific legislation  or act relevant to your issue.

Of course they may give you false hopes of winning a case but it might at least give you a sense of if the issue is worth taking on or not.

7 hours ago, Lolothai said:

I'm wondering if it's legal for the pig farm behind my house (500 m away) to dig in the mountain to throw their garbage. I don't know exactly what they are doing because they blocked the area

Is it their land?  

"I don't know exactly what they are doing..."

So what is the issue, then?

Your photos only show a small area of cleared trees, where's the hole that you claim they have dug?

7 hours ago, Lolothai said:

I suppose that if it was totally legal they would not hide it like this.

What are they "hiding"?   Because you can't see anything on their land without the use of Google Earth or a drone you conclude that it is out of sight to you for nefarious reasons?

I think it will smell alot worse once they start piling the pig sh/t on their land next to your back wall. As they do have the right to fertilize their land for growing what ever they want. So go ahead and stir the pot . Just wonder, who builds/buys a house next to an animal farm of any kind and expect it not to smell and to be like living in the city? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lolothai said:

There is no "lawlessness" in Thailand. Thats really a myth, a way of looking how things are here in Thailand and misunderstanding them because of viewing and judging it with ones western eyes.

I might as well  say there is lawlesness in the usa and the west, just look at all the riots, the covid deniers who refuse wearing a mask, countries that allow marihuana and or prostitution allthough legally it is ilegal, politicians breaking the rules, etc etc and etc.

its all a matter of viewpoint.

i follow various facebook pages of environmental protection groups of thai departments like park rangers. thailand takes protection of environment very serious. 

if the pig farm is doing this ilegally, you should pursue it and report it at the police. or find out the proper department here to report it. good luck.

Quite common in Thailand to trash and pollute adjacent land which they dont own. See it everywhere  in my Provence. Upset a Thai here and you could be facing a machette or 9mm pistol, Best advice, forget about it. Life is cheap in Thailand.

There was an illegal garbage dump near our house.  We first went to the city who sided with us.  The following month they changed there mind.  Probably some money changing hands.  We then went to the provinces main department who eventually came out and closed it immediately.  Many villagers were upset they weren't allowed to dump there oil, dead dogs, batteries anymore.  The retard mentality.  There slowly polluting there water supply.

I just wanted you to know to be persistent.  Living next to a pig farm sounds bad enough.  

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Let Thais deal with Thais ! Listen to your wife, if you feel you must then go to the Pu Yai baan with your concern.

Bare in mind that most villages in rural Thailand just dump it in an open area thats just walled off !

If they are creating their own landfill its saving the local authority dealing with it and they probably know anyway.

If they are burying garbage wouldn't methane escape from the dump? Stinky and very polluting. Glad not my problem. But if you don't smell the methane the pigs produce you probably won't smell this. So no problem?

I find it sad that in this day and age people are suggesting "moving" or "look the other way" etc. It is exactly this attitude that allows people to pollute, commit crimes, do as they please, etc., etc., etc. and get away Scott free. 

This country is, and always will be, a 3rd rate banana republic with this way of thinking. 

I compliment the OP for being concerned not only about his own health, but the environmental damage this could be causing. Unfortunately, your options here are limited. 

As one of a few members who has kept pigs here in Thailand, there is a "best course" if you choose to lodge a complaint. There are laws which are enforced.

However, as with everything here, there will be risk.

Can I ask you to post a wider area view that shows the whole farm? Perhaps include a link to the image? It would make it a bit easier to get an idea of the operation.