Migrant incursions: Immigration chief admits 2,490 have entered illegally this year

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: INN News

INN News reported that Thailand's immigration Chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang has admitted that 2,490 illegal migrants had been stopped since January.

In a latest case a Thai driver called Thaworn was stopped with nine illegal Vietnamese at the Maekhong River in Nong Khai, north east Thailand. 

He said he had been paid 3,000 baht to drive them to the Udon Thani bus station.

At the bus station they picked up Mr Mai, a Vietnamese, who was due to take the human cargo south to Bangkok.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-17

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thailand's immigration Chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang has admitted that 2,490 illegal migrants had been stopped since January.

Surely such an abject failure should result in his resignation or sacking, or even being moved to an inactive post?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

INN News reported that Thailand's immigration Chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang has admitted that 2,490 illegal migrants had been stopped since January.

What about the ones he won't admit to, and the ones he doesn't know about. Should we increase the real number by a factor of 10? Or more?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

Is it an abject failure to have caught 2,490.

More worrying is those that have not been caught, and are now wandering around unchecked, and remember this is fully supported by the active participation of Thai's.

That was just what I was thinking, the 2,490 were just the ones that got caught. You can probably add a zero (or several) for the number of people who slipped through unnoticed. There are thousands of kilometers of border and my guess would be that in many places it’s quite easy to slip in (or out of) the country. Actually did it myself a couple of times in northern Thailand, with a local guide. He told me people cross the border there every day and no one knows how many.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snig27 said:

What a surreal image. Why armed thugs standing behind in a press conference? Is it some sort of machismo projection?

I asked my 5ft 3in Brother -in-Law why he had bought a huge Black Crew Cab Pick-Up Truck when he had no business and would only use it to go shopping in.     His answer was... ''It looks very big and strong and makes me feel good'' !     You can relate this to the picture above and the Thai Psyche in general.

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I asked my 5ft 3in Brother -in-Law why he had bought a huge Black Crew Cab Pick-Up Truck when he had no business and would only use it to go shopping in.     His answer was... ''It looks very big and strong and makes me feel good'' !     You can relate this to the picture above and the Thai Psyche in general.

The first two guys I knew in UK who bought E-types were both about 5' 3".

What does that tell you.

4 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

That was just what I was thinking, the 2,490 were just the ones that got caught. You can probably add a zero (or several) for the number of people who slipped through unnoticed. There are thousands of kilometers of border and my guess would be that in many places it’s quite easy to slip in (or out of) the country. Actually did it myself a couple of times in northern Thailand, with a local guide. He told me people cross the border there every day and no one knows how many.

What about the ones that they let through by the truck load for brown envelopes.

10 hours ago, Snig27 said:

What a surreal image. Why armed thugs standing behind in a press conference? Is it some sort of machismo projection?

Lest they shew the messenger, luckily they are pick up artistes par excellence , as to the failure to secure the frontiers obviously need more watchmen.