Wood shredder chipper needed

2 hours ago, canopy said:

An alternative is a compost heap. Cheap, easy and disappears quickly in this climate. No burning or chipping required.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but the smaller the pieces, the quicker the material breaks down. It makes sense to shred, then use the chippings as mulch or, as you suggested, compost. 

@male expat great question! I've asked myself the same question. 

Edited by djayz

18 minutes ago, djayz said:

the smaller the pieces, the quicker the material breaks down...then use the chippings as mulch

Understood and agree. But I am just noting that branch decomposition is so quick in the Thai climate that a certain amount of people that assume they need a chipper shredder actually would be better off without it. The bugs and the rains just devour wood sitting on the ground in no time. And then there's this beautiful black layer of free dirt sitting there. I just love tossing out stacks of bamboo and branches and watching this beautiful process. Thai's of course will burn it all sweeping in everything down to the very smallest twig and leaf.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, canopy said:

Understood and agree. But I am just noting that branch decomposition is so quick in the Thai climate that a certain amount of people that assume they need a chipper shredder actually would be better off without it. The bugs and the rains just devour wood sitting on the ground in no time. And then there's this beautiful black layer of free dirt sitting there. I just love tossing out stacks of bamboo and branches and watching this beautiful process. Thai's of course will burn it all sweeping in everything down to the very smallest twig and leaf.

You must have different type of trees from us ,we have had branches on the ground for over a year ,and they is still useable wood in them ,the wood ? lots of Gratin,or the tree legume leucaena leucolephala, Madras Thorn ,Makam -Tet  ,and Siam Neem  , Sado .

• Like 2

A wood chipper/ mulcher is one of those things every neighborhood should own and share, since nobody needs it more than a few hours a month.  Kind of like a cement mixer and a pressure washer and...  (I would say chainsaw, but that would get people in a heap of legal trouble if it's a decent size in LOS)

FWIW...  On Lazada, for up to 4".  Which leads me to suspect you could find a bigger one perusing Chinatown, etc.

https://lazada.co.th/products/polo-csv-1500-wood-chipper-100-mm-i898734441-s1813700403.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kanto-kt-gb-300-i1248780771-s3016592155.html

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Key words here from the OP:  

a serious wood chipper

5" or even more. 

This is way beyond the capacity of a garden shredder.

(And maybe you don't have anything like Canopy's voracious decomp biology going on) 

There are a few Vermeer wood chippers in Thailand, mostly owned by large orchard operations. 

Contact Vermeer in Pathum Thani.  They may know of an owner in your area who hires out their machine with an operator. But I doubt it. The Vermeer chipper owner that I knew of in Chiang Mai would not hire out or rent outside of their own operations.

Vermeer Thailand | Sales & Service

• Like 1

I was not talking of kitchen waste  and soft items. Chipper size should be for 6" wood,

This is also why compost is not the right solution.

Also a second hand would be ok to buy.

Any suggested brands?

Edited by male expat
more contend added

We have a big outfit near here .all on site  they chip wood ,some big stuff , it all goes down to Bangkok either for chipboard or the paper industry.

We also have a big Bio Fuel producer near here ,that also buy's  wood .

Ask around, they may be one near you ,just load it on to a pickup and take it to them, if it is big stuff they will buy it for 7-800 baht/ton .

As for renting ,just no call in Thailand for big chippers  ,as Dr T said one outfit in CM,not a lot of good if you are in Issan . 

• Like 1