Doubt about retirement visa

Sorry about my poor English...

One good friend, staying for three years in Thailand, with tourist visa and after ED visa talks me that now has get retirement visa, without leaving Thailand via agency. I'm worried about a possible scam.

He says that has paid 22.000 THB without show of income, the agency make it for him, and they say him that is okay for two years, and that the following visa will be okay for five years.

¿Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your reasonable answers.

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If he was converting from a tourist entry (and the price suggests that) he will have received an initial 90-day permission to stay plus a 12-month extension (essentially 15 months). I cannot think of any circumstances where he would receive an initial two-years (for retirement) or a subsequent five-year permission to stay.

Thanks. Not sure 100% but near, his last visa was ED visa, that ended now in April. The price would be the same if so?

1 hour ago, AaronIsaan said:

One good friend, staying for three years in Thailand, with tourist visa and after ED visa talks me that now has get retirement visa, without leaving Thailand via agency. I'm worried about a possible scam.

He says that has paid 22.000 THB without show of income, the agency make it for him, and they say him that is okay for two years, and that the following visa will be okay for five years.

Sounds very dubious to me, 22k sounds about right for transfer to Retirement extension of stay, but normally it's only for 1 year. Only way I know of 5 years is on Elite and that costs 600k (non refundable).

To be sure what your friend has received, we would need to see the stamps in his passport. If your friend was already on a non immigrant entry (including from a Non Ed visa) 22,000 baht would be very expensive for the 12-month extension of permission to stay based on retirement available from agents.

7 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Sounds very dubious to me, 22k sounds about right for transfer to Retirement extension of stay, but normally it's only for 1 year. Only way I know of 5 years is on Elite and that costs 600k (non refundable).

22k is about right for the first 15 months ( 3+12), then 12.5k a year, talk of two and 5 years is fishy, maybe he misunderstood. Hopefully he used an agent long established and recommended

15 minutes ago, tonray said:

I didn't know we were family....you forgot to send me a Christmas card last year

No not your family sadly, but ThaiVisa family....

Anyway here comes a christmas-card for you...

glegolo

ööö christmas card.jpg

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AaronIsaan said:

Thanks. Not sure 100% but near, his last visa was ED visa, that ended now in April. The price would be the same if so?

This looks very suspicious and might be a scam. Anybody can put a forged stamp on 'your friend's' passport.

Is there anyway to find out whether a stamp is genuine or not?

Edited by EricTh

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

To be sure what your friend has received, we would need to see the stamps in his passport. If your friend was already on a non immigrant entry (including from a Non Ed visa) 22,000 baht would be very expensive for the 12-month extension of permission to stay based on retirement available from agents.

22,000 K is quite a good price for getting a 1 year visa without financial backing.

A one year 'learn Thai course' is around 30,000-33,000 K per year and you need to be tested by immigration on what you learnt.

Edited by EricTh

On 4/20/2021 at 4:28 PM, BritTim said:

Hello, and thanks again for your information. I attach 3 photos from my friend, but now I'm not sure if you read this message... 

2021-04-27_15.09.57.jpg

2021-04-27_15.16.05.jpg

IMG-20210427-WA0004.jpg

30 minutes ago, AaronIsaan said:

Hello, and thanks again for your information. I attach 3 photos from my friend, but now I'm not sure if you read this message... 

The photos are clear. This is what they are:

1. Notification of foreigner residing in the house (TM30)
  2. 90-day address report (TM47)
  3. (Most important) A standard one-year extension of stay based on retirement issued in Phrae and expiring next March.

If your friend lives in Phrae, the agent fee might be quite valid. The cost of doing a retirement extension with "flexibility over meeting requirements" varies considerably from office to office. If your friend does not live in Phrae, I believe he was overcharged, but there should be no other serious repercussions. I am assuming that the 22,000 baht charge was for the retirement extension itself (and probably the address report) but there was not a Non O (conversion) visa done previously in addition.

Anyway, in answer to your main original query, there is nothing here to suggest a two-year or a five-year permission to stay.

Thats a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement (2.22).

Like @BritTim has stated it has nothing to do with 2/5 year extensions. This type of extension needs to be done year by year with a max permission of stay 1 year at a time.

Your friend should clarify what exactly the agent was speaking about.

22 hours ago, AaronIsaan said:

I would appreciate too much any answer, because of my ignorance and my friend's one ????

I think your friends answer and your understanding have confused the issue.

You stated your friend has already stayed 3 years on various Visas and now he has obtained an extension allowing him to stay for a 4th year.

It appears obvious to me the agent has advised he can do the same next year for a 5th year of stay.

That makes sense.