MIT study says 6 feet or 60 feet, exposure risk is the same even with a mask.

school12

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2021 at 8:14 PM, Puccini said:

From the research report to which the CNBC article gives a link:

"...By assuming that the respiratory droplets are mixed uniformly through an indoor space..."

Assuming something like that does not sound very scientific, does it?

They do math, no virus experts at all.

6 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

If there's no difference between 6 feet and 60 feet, doesn't this support the 6 feet social distancing theory?

Alternatively perhaps mean you need to be more than 60 feet apart. Buses will just need to get bigger

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Excel said:

Alternatively perhaps mean you need to be more than 60 feet apart. Buses will just need to get bigger

Comparing 6 feet and 60 feet is worthless. A more useful comparison is 6 ft and 3 ft and there seems to be widespread agreement that six feet is safer so this study doesn't really change anything.

8 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Comparing 6 feet and 60 feet is worthless. A more useful comparison is 6 ft and 3 ft and there seems to be widespread agreement that six feet is safer so this study doesn't really change anything.

So guess MIT don't have any idea in your book then ? 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I think science understands this pretty well.  The problem is getting the population educated.  Seems the vast majority of waves were due to people ignoring the safety guidelines.  Social distancing, wearing a mask, etc.

Oh, those pesky people that just won't do what their betters tell them to do. If we all lived under Chinese style government would everything be just peachy?

8 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Probably, but by that reckoning 600 feet would be even safer. There is utopia and there is reality. People are humans, not robots and will always be just trying to get by as well as we can, even if it's not what some would seek to impose on everyone.

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh, those pesky people that just won't do what their betters tell them to do. If we all lived under Chinese style government would everything be just peachy?

That's a bit drastic.  But how about getting rid of the fake news that so many seem to fall for.  Stick with what the scientists tell us.  Sadly, many are anti-government and love the conspiracy theory websites.  In the end, these are the people that are causing the problems.

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

That's a bit drastic.  But how about getting rid of the fake news that so many seem to fall for.  Stick with what the scientists tell us.  Sadly, many are anti-government and love the conspiracy theory websites.  In the end, these are the people that are causing the problems.

Stick with what the scientists tell us.

I met many, many scientists in my time, and they all sit down to <deleted>.

From personal observation, I certainly don't believe everything that comes out of their mouths.

The prevailing mantra might be more convincing but for actual examples of the contrary, like ( apparently ) Florida.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Stick with what the scientists tell us.

I met many, many scientists in my time, and they all sit down to <deleted>.

From personal observation, I certainly don't believe everything that comes out of their mouths.

The prevailing mantra might be more convincing but for actual examples of the contrary, like ( apparently ) Florida.

I've met many, many scientists also.  And all have been incredibly smart.  You are a covid denier.  So I guess this makes sense coming from you.

CDC just released guidelines that if vaccinated, you don't have to wear a mask outdoors.  Happy now? LOL

https://apnews.com/article/cdc-mask-wearing-guidance-d373775ddcf237764c19ff9428b59634

CDC says many Americans can now go outside without a mask

Quote: “It really has no physical basis because the air a person is breathing while wearing a mask tends to rise and comes down elsewhere in the room so you’re more exposed to the average background than you are to a person at a distance.”

I suppose the air could get moved around more in an air conditioned space, which is most indoor public places here, but it is usually extracted,  then treated i.e. dried, warmed, cooled, humidifed or dehumidifed as the cade may be and flitered) before being mixed with fresh air and recirculated.

Nowadays with COVID, they may even add further filtration and even some form of disinfection.

So while I think they may be right about air movement, the air should be being pulled up towards  the ceiling extractors. Also wearing a mask does provide some restriction to Covid spread,  and the aforementioned air treatments may kill some of the virus.

Based on their thinking, I would be more worried about where any extracted air is released outside if they are saying it is carrying the virus as that could be carried anywhere on the wind.

23 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've met many, many scientists also.  And all have been incredibly smart.  You are a covid denier.  So I guess this makes sense coming from you.

CDC just released guidelines that if vaccinated, you don't have to wear a mask outdoors.  Happy now? LOL

https://apnews.com/article/cdc-mask-wearing-guidance-d373775ddcf237764c19ff9428b59634

CDC says many Americans can now go outside without a mask

LOL.

I'm not a covid denier, whatever that means. I accept it exists, but I disagree with the response to it.

I doubt I'll get a retraction from you though.

I've never had to wear a mask, and haven't done so, so what happens in the US affects me not at all.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Did you mean Michael Mann? You think I should believe him?

Any sensible person is anti-government, they aren't there to help us, and none of them do a good job with anything.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

I'm not a covid denier, whatever that means. I accept it exists, but I disagree with the response to it.

I doubt I'll get a retraction from you though.

I've never had to wear a mask, and haven't done so, so what happens in the US affects me not at all.

You admit you're a covid denier by saying you've never worn a mask.  Must not be in Thailand then.  And no, I don't care about the US either.  Other than their research.  Sadly, this one wasn't a good one.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Did you mean Michael Mann? You think I should believe him?

Any sensible person is anti-government, they aren't there to help us, and none of them do a good job with anything.

No idea who Mann is.  And any sensible person would NOT be anti-government.  You're statement is just trolling.  Lots of great people work for the government.  My father and brother included.  Ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

You admit you're a covid denier by saying you've never worn a mask.  Must not be in Thailand then.  And no, I don't care about the US either.  Other than their research.  Sadly, this one wasn't a good one.

It's a long stretch to say that I deny corona because I don't wear a mask. To say that is to accuse almost the entire population of NZ of being deniers because we don't have to wear them ( other than on public transport, which I don't use ) in NZ and I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

No idea who Mann is.  And any sensible person would NOT be anti-government.  You're statement is just trolling.  Lots of great people work for the government.  My father and brother included.  Ridiculous.

Most of the people who work for the government are not the government. I used to work for it, but I definitely wasn't part of government.

Frankly, given some of the BS laws/ regulations that come out of parliament, I'd have to be a bit gullible to accept everything they say as sensible.

• Like 2

Maybe it's really 63 feet...with no wind

some wind.....934 feet

a lot of wind ...... 26 miles

wind with rain and lightning .... 745943543 miles

MIT needs to be telling us this stuff LAST YEAR...  but props for MIT for thinking.   this 1 or 2 meter thing was made up for the sheepies

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most of the people who work for the government are not the government. I used to work for it, but I definitely wasn't part of government.

Me too, and I was protected from everything while I worked for them, as long as I kept my mouth shut.

But I was never really one of them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's a long stretch to say that I deny corona because I don't wear a mask. To say that is to accuse almost the entire population of NZ of being deniers because we don't have to wear them ( other than on public transport, which I don't use ) in NZ and I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing one.

You're sure you are in New Zealand?  Doesn't seem so.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-health-advice-public/covid-19-use-masks-and-face-coverings-community

Alert Levels update

• From midday Friday 12 March, all of New Zealand is at Alert Level 1.
  • You are legally required to wear a face mask or covering on all public transport and flights throughout New Zealand.

13 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

You're sure you are in New Zealand?  Doesn't seem so.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-health-advice-public/covid-19-use-masks-and-face-coverings-community

Alert Levels update

• From midday Friday 12 March, all of New Zealand is at Alert Level 1.
  • You are legally required to wear a face mask or covering on all public transport and flights throughout New Zealand.

LOL. The government can advise all it likes, but with no corona in the general population can't compel mask wearing, much as, IMO, they'd like to.

They did manage to mandate masks on public transport, but that's it.

I did say that in the post you quoted.