Travelling Phuket expats test positive on return home

snoop1130

1619507607_1-org.jpg

Photo: PR Phuket

PHUKET:-- Two expats from Phuket have tested positive for COVID-19 at the checkpoint leading onto the island while trying to return home from travelling off-island. One of them is an Italian man who returned from a trip to Krabi, the other is a Belgium man who had returned from Bangkok after visiting the Belgium embassy to renew his passport.

The Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) reported that the two men were required to be tested on arrival in Phuket due to the current policy mandating that all Phuket people returning to the island to be tested for COVID-19 if they are unable to prove that they are fully vaccinated or present a COVID-free certificate confirming they had tested negative for the virus within 72 hours of arriving in Phuket.

The PPHO marked in its ongoing release of timelines of the movements of a person now confirmed as infected with COVID-19 the movements of both the Italand and the Belgium man.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/travelling-phuket-expats-test-positive-on-return-home-79820.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-04-27

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Deli said:

How can a foreigner be fully vaccinated, if he has not left Thailand (for this purpose)? Not even available for a stack of cash. Rules which do not make sense, but used to it.

And proof reading doesn't really happen @ Phuket News...

I just received my second jab on Samui...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but I cannot see anywhere in this story if they were tested before they left Phuket in the first place and found to be negative. Which would surely mean they could have been positive when they left

shhh

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its incredible that no Thai’s returning to the island have tested positive....????

<For the hard-of-learning: The text above in this post may also contain traces of sarcasm> 

Probably have.  But that won't make the English language news. LOL

• Like 2

The PPHO marked in its ongoing release of timelines of the movements of a person now confirmed as infected with COVID-19 the movements of both the Italand and the Belgium man

'Italand'. I see proof-reading of the article at source failed in this case, but it made me smile....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

How is it possible that you can receive 2 jabs of a scarce vaccine, when there are so many Doctors, Nurses and other Health Workers, long with the  Elderly and vulnerable  that need this Vaccine more than you.

Dont forget the police they are dropping like flies

16 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I just received my second jab on Samui...

Really (?) how is that possible IF you are a westerner. I work for the Thai government as a western (with many others) and None of us have got a vaccine! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrMJA said:

Really (?) how is that possible IF you are a westerner. I work for the Thai government as a western (with many others) and None of us have got a vaccine! 

Phuket and Samui aim to have at least 70% of its residents vaccinated by early June, so they can open to foreign tourism in July without the need for quarantine. 
Foreigners who work in the tourism industry were offered the vaccine along with the Thais and the migrant worker population on Samui.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, farangkrab said:

What was the process like? Long queue?  I’m in Samui now. Is it only for foreigners working in tourism, as you mentioned?

The first jab 3 weeks ago it was an absolute mess for foreigners. Initially they opened for anyone with a tax ID number but they were running out of vaccines quickly when a lot of people showed up, and were worried not all Thais who wanted the vaccine would be able to get it, whereas some foreigners would. So they changed to only foreigners having a Thai social security number. People working in the tourism industry were given priority. 

The 2nd jab I had yesterday was very easy and quick. I showed up, they checked my ID number and I went straight to the vaccination area. In and out in 20 minutes, including a 15 minute wait after the shot. 

if you haven’t had the first vaccination early April you are not eligible for the 2nd jab this round is for. But I’m sure they’ll have a new round coming soon. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's really quite unacceptable in this day and age that we need to present ourselves in person to renew a passport - and that's before you take COVID into consideration.

The government should act on this and ban it.

Clearly any travel is a risk at the moment.

What government? Passport renewal or stopping the allowance falls in the hands of the issuing country, not the Thais

16 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Dont forget the police they are dropping like flies

Another reason to  abolish ALL roadside  stops  until its  over, but then they risk the chance of  clawing  back  all the money they've  lost by being banned from doing roadside  stops  for the last 6  months.

12 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

The first jab 3 weeks ago it was an absolute mess for foreigners. Initially they opened for anyone with a tax ID number but they were running out of vaccines quickly when a lot of people showed up, and were worried not all Thais who wanted the vaccine would be able to get it, whereas some foreigners would. So they changed to only foreigners having a Thai social security number. People working in the tourism industry were given priority. 

The 2nd jab I had yesterday was very easy and quick. I showed up, they checked my ID number and I went straight to the vaccination area. In and out in 20 minutes, including a 15 minute wait after the shot. 

if you haven’t had the first vaccination early April you are not eligible for the 2nd jab this round is for. But I’m sure they’ll have a new round coming soon. 

So  guess it was sinovac, any side  effects? My 93  year  old  Mother in the UK has had both AZ  jabs with zero side  effects. Just cant get rid  of the ole  hag!

1 minute ago, Gulfsailor said:

As far as I’m aware most of these have been vaccinated in Feb/March already when the first batch of Coronavac arrived. 

But plain  dumb  not  to  vaccinate the entire island regardless of  immigration status /nationality.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

So  guess it was sinovac, any side  effects? My 93  year  old  Mother in the UK has had both AZ  jabs with zero side  effects. Just cant get rid  of the ole  hag!

With the first jab I felt nothing and had zero side effects, I actually wondered if they even injected me or just pointed a needle at my arm. The second jab I looked just to make sure. There is a minuscule bruise feeling in my upper arm a day later. 

the last time I had a vaccination I developed transverse myelitis and it took me well over a year to be more or less functional again. So I was a bit wary taking any vaccine now. But after checking all available research into safety I was very happy that I now received the Cofonavac vaccine. It’s the only one based on old fashioned inactivated virus vector technology, and so far there have been no severe side effects confirmed in any of the countries using it. To anyone doubting the safety and efficacy of this vaccine I suggest reading the Wikipedia page; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoronaVac

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

But plain  dumb  not  to  vaccinate the entire island regardless of  immigration status /nationality.

That’s the goal, but supply is limited, so they have to prioritize like everywhere else in the world. 

23 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Phuket and Samui aim to have at least 70% of its residents vaccinated by early June, so they can open to foreign tourism in July without the need for quarantine. 
Foreigners who work in the tourism industry were offered the vaccine along with the Thais and the migrant worker population on Samui.

<deleted>!!!!

7 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

As far as I’m aware most of these have been vaccinated in Feb/March already when the first batch of Coronavac arrived. 

My Thai wife is an RN (register nurse), and still has not gotten the second vaccine, as of 28 April. She does not work in the wards, she is front line .... stop talking in which you have NO knowledge!

In addition, as a westerner working for the Thai government, I have been put on a list for a vaccine sometime at the end of June.  Again, stop talking/ writing in which you have NO knowledge!

• Haha 2