Patong gets a new mayor as election results confirmed

webfact

1619671239_1-org.jpg

Chalermsak Maneesri, now confirmed as the new Mayor of Patong, offers a wai to people along the street during his campaign to office. Photo:  Patong Palang Mai Party

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Chalermsak Maneesri has been confirmed as the new Mayor of Patong following formal confirmation of the Mar 28 municipality election results yesterday (Apr 28).

The Phuket office of the Election Commission of Thailand (PEC) posted the formal notices confirming the election of mayors and councillors at the 12 municipalities in Phuket yesterday afternoon (Apr 28).

The notices confirmed only the names of the winning candidates, not the final tally of confirmed votes for each position.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-gets-a-new-mayor-as-election-results-confirmed-79836.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-04-29

I think wearing mask suppose to be mandatory since last year, part of Covid rules came in with 20k baht fine and jail etc. - plus social distancing...! But I never figured out how massage parlours deal with social distancing....!? ????

Anyway, do you think this new guy has ever seen the beach road mess, and will be spend a few baht to re-surface it , or now that he's been elected no point wasting good money on stupid projects....! Better re-surface Bangla road for the 3th time to get rid of all that nasty virus hiding in the asfalt.....????

40 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

This is not his first time in the job.

Article from 2003:

Judges order Patong mayor to step down | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

Nice find, I'm sure he's a changed man after nearly 20 years....! ????????

I read the article carefully, looks like thousands of votes are deemed invalid in every little town, like 25 or 30% of total, quite high, is that a way to ensure desired outcome, or due to open for "all" and no check voting on the day...!!! 

8 hours ago, Agusts said:

Anyway, do you think this new guy has ever seen the beach road mess, and will be spend a few baht to re-surface it , or now that he's been elected no point wasting good money on stupid projects....! Better re-surface Bangla road for the 3th time to get rid of all that nasty virus hiding in the asfalt.....????

Quite the opposite, I'd bet.  His family owns a construction company, which will probably benefit greatly from municipal projects. It was no secret that when he was mayor, developers were forced to use his construction company if they wanted to get a building permit.

Edited by DrDave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

This is not his first time in the job.

Article from 2003:

Judges order Patong mayor to step down | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

Should have been banned from political office for life. Would have been in most countries but what he did is the norm here. My family were just waiting for the handouts before the last local election (Karon) and the Mrs was disappointed she only got 1000 baht from one party; she wanted payment from both!

• Haha 1