Expats in Thailand to receive COVID-19 vaccinations free of charge

Jonathan Fairfield

16 hours ago, ericdiam said:

Will be the AZ produced by Siam bioscience which I not much trust. And AZ has only 63% protection and is less effective even with the new variants, UK included. Also they only will start in June so prity sure foreigners will be maybe August-Seprember

For me if Pfizer, Moderna which are both over 90% or even J&J over 70% and that one already proven that UK variant works then I'll just go and pay for any of these

Keep in mind there are two numbers.  The 63% you refer to is protection from symptoms.  It's closer to 100% for protection from death.

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The post does not mention anything about having a Thai id... it says all expats/foreigners residing in Thailand?

Foreign migrant workers have to get a pink Non-Thai ID card. 

These are easy to get from the provincial halls. 

Some expat can't be bothered getting them, as they feel superior to Burmese labourers. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Folks Thailand NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER gives anything to expats for FREE......Whats the ulterior motive here??...........Expat-Free- No-way.

Obviously you are free to believe what you want but it doesn't make it fact.

I have had free flu jab, free mobile health checkups and free dental checkups. Last week I saw the dermatologist and it didn't cost me anything, a case of buy 2 get one free.

Try shopping in a better shop.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Thanks Thailand.  It's very generous of you and wise to protect all of us together.  I wish my own country America was so wise.

Thanks? Like the US & UK, most  if not all developed countries not only offer it free to all nationals and migrants but also to non registered migrants. 

Thailand has made no mention yet of unregistered migrants.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Foreign migrant workers have to get a pink Non-Thai ID card. 

These are easy to get from the provincial halls. 

Some expat can't be bothered getting them, as they feel superior to Burmese labourers. 

I doubt that migrant workers "have" to get them, the cards aren't made(*) for migrant workers.

* I don't mean that they aren't issued, I mean that when the cards were introduced, migrant workers were not who the government had in mind.

Edited by jackdd

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thanks? Like the US & UK, most  if not all developed countries not only offer it free to all nationals and migrants but also to non registered migrants. 

Thailand has made no mention yet of unregistered migrants.

the head of the hospital quoted ALL residing foreigners   

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I doubt that migrant workers "have" to get them, the cards aren't made(*) for migrant workers.

* I don't mean that they aren't issued, I mean that when the cards were introduced, migrant workers were not who the government had in mind.

https://www.mondaq.com/general-immigration/900144/pink-id-card-for-foreigners

A little background but yes it's from a law firm.

Just yesterday afternoon a female rep. from the district office came along the the and was noting how many people lived there. That included me also. Seems to coincide with this announcement. At that time she didn't know what brand would be used although she thought that 60+ age would have the AZ vaccine.

59 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

saying foreigners can have it for free, but then making it virtually impossible to get because registration is in Thai, isn’t much help.

In the press conference he said "residents". Most residents can probably speak Thai to some degree, it gives you bonus points when applying for residency.

Edited by jackdd

16 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

It's RESIDENTS ONLY.  If you do not possess a Thai ID, you are not eligible.  You can only go the private route, which at the moment the hospitals have yet to receive any stocks of vaccine. 

“All people who reside in Thailand, regardless of nationality, are eligible to receive the vaccine under the plan,” Mr Natapanu said...... DID YOU MISS THIS???

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My interpretation of this announcement by the CCSA is that any foreigner can get the Vaccine, I assume they will be able to register with their passport details - time will tell.

Register where?

5 minutes ago, Surasak said:

“All people who reside in Thailand, regardless of nationality, are eligible to receive the vaccine under the plan,” Mr Natapanu said...... DID YOU MISS THIS???

Your quote confirms what he said, "reside" aka "resident". If you hold a non-immigrant visa you are not a resident under Thai law.

We do not know though if the speaker at the press conference uses "reside" in the meaning of Thai law, or just in a common way.

If it later turns out that only people with permanent residency status get it for free he wasn't wrong with his statement now.

Edited by jackdd

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Your quote confirms what he said, "reside" aka "resident". If you hold a non-immigrant visa you are not a resident under Thai law.

We do not know though if the speaker at the press conference uses "reside" in the meaning of Thai law, or just in a common way.

If it later turns out that only people with permanent residency status get it for free he wasn't wrong with his statement now.

Sorry, I hadn't realised Mr Natapanu has split ends.

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

If that also means undocumented migrants who are not legally residing here then bravo, if not then?

i would think all those  on long stay visa including under 60s and those with work permits