Expats in Thailand to receive COVID-19 vaccinations free of charge

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Actually it is the citizens of Western countries who are paying for it with their taxes that went towards the expedited development of these vaccines.

So the vaccine manufacturers are not selling it, just giving it away and paying the distribution costs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

'All people who reside in Thailand, regardless of nationality, are eligible to receive the vaccine under the plan,” Mr Natapanu said.' I hope this means those on Retirement visas are included? And we don't get another announcement in a few days time saying 'You misunderstood.'

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

The people receiving the vaccine are the ones who profit from it.

Really? Not if it hasn't had full testing and it is mandatory. 

You hinted that the Western governments ]were paying for the vaccine without understanding how much money they get back. 

"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -"Yes we will" - "No, we won't" -....................................

Forgive me if I am cynical. Believe it when they forcibly stick a needle in you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

What web site was used to register using Pink Card ID? More Prom rejected mine but accepted my wife's Thai ID. Rejection said bad ID number. 

My understanding of the article is that your name has to be already on Mor Prom, uploaded by a hospital, for it to work.

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Really? Not if it hasn't had full testing and it is mandatory. 

You hinted that the Western governments ]were paying for the vaccine without understanding how much money they get back. 

I didn't "hint" about anything. I stated it. And here is the source: 

The federal government has allocated more than $9 billion to develop and manufacture candidate vaccines. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/08/08/feds-spending-more-than-9-billion-covid-19-vaccine-candidates/5575206002/

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You should refrain from unsubstantiated comments. The mass vaccination programme has yet to start, merely the data collection phase.

If vaccine desperation is your main focus then I am sure the nanny state will oblige, otherwise wait like the rest of us.

I don't take orders on what to post from obnoxious online hecklers. You're in charge with what you post. Not anyone else. Also your above hostile post had little to do with the context of what that reply was actually about. Cheerio.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

If you have a permanent residence here, you "reside" here.

That's how you might think about it (or any reasonable person) but the immigration system clearly distinguishes between those who live here permanently renewing their stay year by year, and those who have 'Permanent Residency' status ...

It remains unclear whether this distinction will apply for the vaccination program. It is entirely possible that whether or not it does will depend on the hospital/clinic or doctor/nurse and what side of bed they got out of on the day.

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

My understanding of the article is that your name has to be already on Mor Prom, uploaded by a hospital, for it to work.

Yes, the data is preloaded by the govt.....but I seriously, seriously down the data comes from a hospital; instead, it's coming from the govt most likely directly from the Thai ID card database.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't take orders on what to post from obnoxious online hecklers. You're in charge with what you post. Not anyone else. Also your above hostile post had little to do with the context of what that reply was actually about. Cheerio.

Disgraceful, unwarranted flaming.  This poster Sandy has given great information about how to register for the free vaccine, while you continue to sit at your keyboard moaning about. 

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes, the data is preloaded by the govt.....but I seriously, seriously down the data comes from a hospital; instead, it's coming from the govt most likely directly from the Thai ID card database.

I think more likely to come from the Social Security people. It's a Non-Thai ID card btw. 

18 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

It's RESIDENTS ONLY.  If you do not possess a Thai ID, you are not eligible.  You can only go the private route, which at the moment the hospitals have yet to receive any stocks of vaccine. 

Is that categorically specifically supported word for word by an official announcement, or just your opportune assumption?

And what do you mean by '....a Thai ID...'?

• Like 1

Just now, scorecard said:

Is that categorically specifically supported word for word by an official announcement, or just your opportune assumption?

And what do you mean by '....a Thai ID...'?

If you pay tax, you get an ID number. If you have a non-Thai pink ID card, you have an ID number. 

• Like 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

If you pay tax, you get an ID number. If you have a non-Thai pink ID card, you have an ID number. 

Sure, well understood, thank you. PR holders also have an ID number (on the non-Thai pink card), same numbering system as Thai citizens except the number starts with an 8.

But to be honest I'm more interested in an answer from the OP re my first question: "Is that categorically specifically supported word for word by an official announcement, or just your opportune assumption?"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I think more likely to come from the Social Security people. It's a Non-Thai ID card btw. 

Many Thais are not part of the social security system (like my Thai wife)...have never paid a stang  into it;  but as mentioned early her data is loaded in the Doctors Ready app database.  The data is coming from the national Thai ID system and they can be selective in the data pulled based on the Thai ID card numbering system, age of person, etc....just a simple data base query to pull desired data.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, well understood, thank you. PR holders also have an ID number (on the non-Thai pink card), same numbering system as Thai citizens except the number starts with an 8.

Naturalized Thai Citizens also start with an 8. 

13 minutes ago, TonBrow said:

I'm guessing they will be offering the Chinese Sinovac or Russian Sputnik vaccines, which they have already purchased.

Nothing wrong with the Russian vaccine, only Western political propaganda. I am quite happy to be guided by the Lancet Report. Western governments are less trustworthy than the Russian one, because they will do or say anything to protect their declining geo-economic position.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, marquess said:

Nothing wrong with the Russian vaccine, only Western political propaganda. I am quite happy to be guided by the Lancet Report. Western governments are less trustworthy than the Russian one, because they will do or say anything to protect their declining geo-economic position.

The Lancet report is an "Interim Report" only, everybody including WHO is waiting for the final report and missing data.

• Like 2

Below snapshot shows the Thai ID card number system as relating to the first digit used. 

My Thai wife's Thai ID card number starts with a 3......my Pink ID card/Yellow Book number starts with a 6.  Easy for the govt to focus on selected individuals by using the Thai ID national database which also includes a person birthdate which allows them to determine a person age. 

Current Doctors Ready app is suppose to preloaded for those people 60 years of age an old as that's the portion of the population most at risk of serious problems or death from COVID.   My Thai wife is preloaded in the Doctors Ready app database; my data is not.   We are both over 60.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_identity_card

image.png.efcc2491513e176df146675089e55af6.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Sir the odds of catching covid are almost none and the recovery rate if you do catch it is well over 99% as reported by the mainstream press.....

Worldometer site shows the following (as of today):

Globally - 20k/MM Cases (2%), 400/MM fatality (0.04%)

Worst countries:

Cases, USA - 100k/MM (10%), 1.7k/MM (0.17%)

UK - 65k/MM (6.5%),  1.9k/MM (0.19%)

Fatalities, Hungary - 80k/MM, 2.8k/MM (0.28%) 

Thailand.. 909/MM cases (0.09%), 3/MM fatalities (0.0003%)

I know where I'd rather be..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ericdiam said:

From WHO website 

ED9FB619-BD85-4586-904D-A8A33FF0D45D.jpeg

It goes higher when wait longer for second shot but The big problem are all new varriants where some are really much less working. I not say it won't help but the risk to get infected is prity high and will get worse as more and more varriants are coming. 

That why I'll do everything to get a one who had high protection from begin as also these are losing %. 

That the reason also why most are working hard on a 3rd booster shot for end this year